15 May 2012
Playstation Staff

Playstation Network and o2 Wireless Box 5

[ Edited ]
5 Replies 934 Views edited 15-05-2012

First i apologize for posting this under GD it wont allow me to post under Technical Help

iv recently updated my broadband package with o2 and i have been giving a new router, and im having problems connecting to the playstation network

the PS3 connects fine and gains a IP wirelessly or cabled, but when it comes to the connection test it randomly fails the Playstation Network and other times it passes and then i get passes for uPnP, NAT type 2 and connection speeds are perfectly fine for my area where i live.

i can run BBC iPlayer fine no lag or skips nothing but when it comes to gaming and signs into psn the game lags and skips and its so unplayable its a nightmare but other times i cant sign in at all or it randomly signs me out and any other time trying to sign in it gives me error "Connection with SEN timed out"

has anybody else had these problems with o2 wireless boxes? and is there a way to sort it out?

---------------------- Live Long And Prosper ----------------------

Search & Win
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (934 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Playstation Network and o2 Wireless Box 5

Think you will need to use a pc to get inside your new router, IF you are able to do so... ie i consider myself very un-tech savvy, but Can do this.. plus IF you go wrong a simple router reset Will put router back to default (way it is now) settings... Also and firstly i'd try to make ps3 forget your present ip provider, settings and such, then just begin the search (wi-fi) or auto connect (wired) setup from new/fresh. as 'maybe' the ps3 is remembering your old router still. with you remaing with O2, But getting new router.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (906 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Have you tried running the ps3's connection wizard as it's possible that your new router might have a different ip range.

Or your could try manually assigning the ps3 an ip.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (897 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

thanks but it connects to the internet fine which means it gains a IP address from the router and connects to the internet, the web browser works fine and the online TV services i.e 4OD, BBC iPlayer all works fine no connection errors nothing

its just when it comes to PSN it sometimes signs in and sometimes it dosnt then it randomly disconnects and if i do manage to get a game it lags and skips.

so i cant see it been a problem with the IP address and it connecting to the router. im more thinking on the line of Port forwarding and firewall issues etc but i have assigned my PS3's MAC address to the router to allow it to bypass all firewalls incase a firewall was blocking the connection but still nothing :smileysad:

Search & Win
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
Ok did you see this when you were looking to get your issue sorted - http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-port-forwarding/

I also found a number of help posts here - http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?rls=ig#hl=en&rls=ig&sclient=psy-ab&q=o2+wireless+box+5+port+forwarding...

I realise it's a pain to go through them but one of them might resolve your issue if the first link above doesn't Also were O2 helpline no help ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (878 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

thanks yeah i did see the post on the o2 website for port forwarding the problem is i would have to set port forwarding up for every single online game i played as they all use slightly different ports.

but after a day messing on with settings i have finally gotten it to work i just assigned my console a static IP address via the router and assigned that IP address to the DMZ to basically bypass the firewall on the router, i changed one or two more settings and i have not had a problem since i think since the 16th i have played a total of 5-7 hours online play and not one connection drop yet

so hopefully i have sorted the problem out and it works fine from now on :smileyhappy: 

thanks for yahs help

Search & Win
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (843 Views)
0 Kudos