11 Jul 2010
By baz178
Playstation Staff

Ps3 broke

[ Edited ]
15 Replies 565 Views edited 11-07-2010

HI well my ps3 Broke about 2 weeks ago and Sony wanting £131 pound to replace it for another one cos its run out of guarantee and mum and dad wont pay for another just thought that there might be some thing to say to Sony so they fix it cheaper or free cheers anyway

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (565 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps3 broke

[ Edited ]

Well I've been in the same situation as you, my console at the time was my 2nd refurb and I was furious that how easily refurbished PS3's broke.

So I contacted Sony and was on the phone to them for over an hour till finally I was put through to the manager, at this point Sony was still asking for £130 for an exchange for another refurb,

After 5 mins of talking and me on the internet and finding legal documents of customer rights, the manager decided to give me another FREE refurbish PS3 (Which coincidently has died again, but it's working as I did a self YLOD fix), the free PS3 was out of Sony's Good Gesture.

The warranty on a refurb is only 3 MONTHS, and BTW my PS3 was a 60GB.

Hope this helps :smileywink:

Yeah I'm going Tokyo Game Show 2010 & Eurogamer Expo (Friday). :smileywink:
Facebook Me - Check Out My Modnation Mods
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (556 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

TBH ya best of jus saveing up n getin a new ps3 slim because once its broke eg YLOD it jus keeps happening even if u fix it it will happen again quite soon well thats if u work n not in school if ya in school well ask mum or dad or get a weekend job
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (546 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

my dads just got a refurb model and honestly it's not worth it mate, it has a dieing gpu already after couple of days and it freezes on start up...other steps 

1. Send it sony and pay £130 for a ps3 with a 3 month warranty (cos they know it will happen again)

2. Send it off too a 3rd party company and let them fix it for £40-£60

3. Fix it yourself and buy all the stuff from Amazon Artic silver, Heat gun and isopropanol

Hope you get it fixed mate.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (498 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

^ What exactly is the problem? Because im not sure you know what a GPU is and it is all you seem to go on about in your posts
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (471 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

When mine broke my dad mentioned that i had been a lifelong sony customer, and that i would be buying an xbox if they didn't replace it.
Worked for me :smileyhappy:
I HATE ppl hu tlk like this bruv.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (469 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: As broke

I too have had this problem, my ps3 broke about 1 week ago and I have basically just started spamming complaints because im not paying £110 for a new ps3 (likely to brake within 2 days) when the new consoles are due to come out sometime this year/next year which I am already saving up for =(

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (216 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

baz178 wrote:

HI well my ps3 Broke about 2 weeks ago and Sony wanting £131 pound to replace it for another one cos its run out of guarantee and mum and dad wont pay for another just thought that there might be some thing to say to Sony so they fix it cheaper or free cheers anyway

If it failed shortly after (i.e. within a month or two) your warranty expired, there may be something you can do.

Under the Provision of Goods and Services Act, it states that goods should last for a "reasonable" amount of time. While this matter is quite ambiguous, there are clear precedents and examples laid out in law.

So, if something fails shortly after the warranty expires, as a rule of thumb, that's NOT the expected life of the unit, so I'd recommend writing to Sony UK HQ (Google for the address), and mark it "For the attention of the Chief Executive". Send it Recorded Delivery, and also mark it "Private and Confidential" at the top left of the envelope (this is so ONLY the Chief Exec or his appointed rep such as secretary should open it).

Detail in the letter your extreme disappointment and that you've been a Sony customer who has used their products for some years with good faith in them. This situation has made you lose faith. 

Then go on to explain when you bought it, when it failed (precisely as possible), and point out that the Provision of Goods and Services Act states goods must last for a reasonable length of time. State that you find the standard charge of £130 (or whatever it currently is) unacceptable and that you've taken great care of the unit. Finally, say that you hope they can see their way to rectifying this matter.

Give them 14 days to respond from the date of the letter.

Now, if all is well, they won't accept liability (as that would be setting a precedent that others could use in the same instance), but they may they mention those "goodwill gesture" words (meaning that it make no precedence). If so, they would reasonably - and accordingly to the Provision of Goods and Services Act, repair it with some of the cost being borne by yourself to cover "reasonable wear and tear", as your unit would in no way be worth full market value of course. If so, this will be the best you can reasonably expect.

However, don't be surprised if they say they cannot help at all, especially if it is some time out of warranty. If it is a year over warranty, I would rather expect them to say this, for example.

Anyway, it is surely worth a try, and I hope this helps.

Do not be put off by some of the comments here about refurbished units. Bad luck does happen, but refurbished units AREN'T repaired old ones. They are COMPLETELY NEW units, and fully tested.

Although it doesn't apply in your case (I include this for info only), if in future you do buy a new PS3 - or any other product, and it goes wrong within the warranty period, you have the right of refund, replace, or repair.

Refund is self-explanatory and can ONLY come from the place you bought it NOT the manufacturer.

Repair is seen as good for a modern console, because you may not lose your settings, etc. However there should be a word of caution. Say your console goes wrong 6 months after purchase. If you have it repaired, you will only have the REMAINING 6 months of your warranty left in case it goes wrong again.

If you opt for REPLACEMENT, you start another warranty from scratch, so you will have 1 year left from the time of replacement receipt.

Good luck!

Raptr Gamercard
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (184 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I'm pretty sure refurbs are repaired old units and not new systems, Crusty.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (155 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Oops, I called you Crusty there instead of Crunchy:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (151 Views)
0 Kudos