24 Nov 2012

Playstation Staff

Ps3 super slim noise

7 Replies 7,888 Views Created 24-11-2012
So I bought a ps3 super slim on Black Friday, just cause my old one broke so when I got home and started playing black ops 2 online I noticed that the disc tray is making so my noise is this normal? Plus Snice I got it yesterday can I take it back to best buy and get a new one
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (7,888 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps3 super slim noise

Of Course it is normal, you didn't expect it to be super slim and not have any spoils. The disc cover of the PS3 super slim is identical to the PS2 Slim, the disc cover is a mere light plastic which can definitely not reduce the sound of the rotating disc. Unlike the former PS3 Slim in which the disc is buried deep within the console to reduce noise. Think of it like this, the super slim cover is a vein while the former Slim disc cover is an artery.
And how much did you get it?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (7,851 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I also took the plunge yesterday to pick up a 12gb super slim from sainsburys for £138.

for weeks I searched around the net trying to find out information about the noise issues of the super slim.

Anyways for what its worth this is my take on my console.  Overall id say My super slim is quieter than the 160gb slim I had. Both in terms of disc access noise and fan noise. From where my console sits on a TV stand about 6/7 feet away from where I sit I cant hear the disc spinning but I can hear the seeking noise.

Seeking noise - Now this is a different noise to the 160gb slim I had. The old slim (11 months old k-chassis model) was much more "clunky and rapid " especially on games like Black Ops 2 when a lot of data is seeked . On the superslim it sounds much more motorised. When I first heard it the sound, a drill being used in short burst d came to mind. Its a totally different picth in sound to my old slim which may annoy some people who in turn consider it loud.

fan noise - Very good, played games both from  the HDD I installed and from the disc , the console stayed very cool an very quiet. Just a very faint hum. Same for a 3d blu ray. Played black ops 2 from the disc for 3 hours straight last night and was quite impressed. Overall fan noise doent seem to have changed much from 160gb slim but once again up close the do seem to have a different pitch in sound. Again if you can hear it it may annoy some people.

Disc spinning noise - Go up close to the console and you hear it, the further you move away it just about goes.

Over all in my opinion  its not the noisy beast people say it is. The design is growing on me, but I think Sony could and maybe should have improved the internals a little bit more given the age of the technology and how cheap the parts must be now. It should have been super silent or at least had the option to install full games the the HDD and run them off their like the 360 does.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (7,837 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Serves u right for playing blips 2
PS4
Vision - 42inch LG PQ6000 Plasma
Audio - Optical into a Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC, NAD 326 stereo amp, Wharfdale 10.1 speakers.
SONY 7.1 virtual surround sound headset.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (7,795 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I've always found the fat ones noisier than the skinny ones.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (7,790 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

So I had an original 60GB PS3 that YLOD last year. (:smileyindifferent: Gosh I miss that console it had EVERYTHING!!)I picked up a slim 120GB PS3 as replacement. (:smileyhappy: No issues what's so ever, wasn’t too happy about not having 4 USB ports anymore thou.) I decided to give the Slim 120GB to my little brother and picked up the new SUPER SLIM (4000) Console...:Stupid:   THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE LOUDEST DISC DRIVE EVER!!! :smileymad: It' Ridiculous!!! Watching a movie or playing games the drive is clicking and buzzing away. Granted after some play time your mind obviously dead’s out the noise, however in the back of your mind you still hear it once in a while and get annoyed...  I have been a LOYAL PS console Supporter for over a decade, however this might be the first time I’m thinking of actually returning this PS3 and getting an X-Box 360 with a BD payer on the side:Shame: (has SONY seen what the price these players are now a days <$80). If this is what the verge of PS3 engineers and designers are considering being acceptable for consumers, they will be losing Revenue and customers on the long run.:No-no: I CANT BELIVE THE PS3 KEEPS GETTING WOSE EACH TIME IT RE-RELEASES. I'm Pretty Sure enough feedback was given about what people wanted back in the PS3 after the Slim...LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (6,957 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I bought a new super slim 500gb today and updated the software. Then I started playing it and the thimg makes a hell of a lot of noise. My problem isnt the disc drive but the fan. It started off loud but then I was shocked that it had another louder speed after that! Has anyone else had the same problem? I used an app on my phone that said it was about 70dB, which it compared to noisy street traffic or a phone ringtone, and it really detracts from the gameplay or any movie I would want to watch.

Any suggetions? It is defintely the fan, not the drive.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (6,919 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

UPDATE: I called Sony up this morning and they said it was most likely a manufacturing error and to take it back to the retailer within 30 days of purchase for an exchange. So I did and the new one is nice and quiet so far! I haven't updated the software to 4.31 yet, but will soon and if there are any further problems I'll post another message, but so far so good!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (6,832 Views)
0 Kudos