10 Feb 2009
By: haramanai Member 54 Posts
Level 2

Ps3 won't play blu-ray but play DVD , CD.

14 Replies 35,156 Views Created 10-02-2009

Hi.

My PS3 stopped playing blu-ray discs, It plays well DVD or CD but no Blu-ray.

At first I thought that the drive or the lens is dead. But as I have a launch 60GB PS3 it comes clear that there is one lens for reading all the discs( Blu-ray , DVD , CD ) so there must not be a damaged drive or lens.

When I insert a Blu-ray I can see the loading circle on the top-right corner of the screen, I can hear the drive trying to load the disc but after a while it just stop trying and no game or movie come back.

Some times a disc may play. I don’t really know why. I made a quick format as some people said and the drive came back. But as it turns it was just a coincidence, cause the problem remains.

Other people said to me to go to the recovery menu and choose Restore File System. It came out with a massage that the hdd have corrupted file and if I wish to restore the hdd. I choose yes but the problem remains.

Also I am out of warranty as I have a launch 60gb PS3. Sony Hellas( I am from Greece) just asks me for 230 Euro to replace the PS3. The do not have a solution.

I also thought to open the PS3 and clean the lens but isn’t this just plain stupid as the drive can read DVD and CD. Also If I finally manage to run a game I do not have freeze disc or anything the drive runs just fine.

I do not want to bother you but cause sony do not help me, I can only try to get help from the people in the forums.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (35,156 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Ps3 won't play blu-ray but play DVD , CD.

What do you mean Sony wont help you? Have you even tried calling their customer services department?

We can't possibly help you as it sounds like the laser on your PS3 has gone.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (35,100 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

I phoned Sony they do nothing else but only replace. They ask 230 Euro for this and I pay for the courrier service. All together are almost 270 Euro. I can find a new PS3 with this money.

How can the lens to be dead? As I said the same lens reads DVD and CD. And sometimes after many tries or good luck it reads Blu-ray with out any problem.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (35,092 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

The PS3 has two lenses one for DVD and one for Blu Ray, you may have a build up of dust on your Blu Ray lense if you buy a blu ray clearner which comes on Disc you can clean the lense and this will cose as little as £10-15 if after this the PS3 still wont play blu rays its time for a new one bud.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (35,092 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

You could try a lens cleaner but it sounds like a terminal problem to be honest. Personally I would call Sony again and complain as other people have been getting free replacements and you should tell customer services that.

How long has your PS3 been out of warranty?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (35,091 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

You could try a Blu Ray Lens cleaners, some chappy on here posted a couple of weeks ago with the same problem and said that it had worked for him.

If you are quite happy to open your PS3 you could puchase a replacement Blu Ray drive from Ebay quite cheaply and fit it yourself. You would need to only swap the drive but keep the existing circuit boards attached to the drive. I suggest that you use the internet to research that part !! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (35,217 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

I am almost sure that the launch ps3 use the same lens for Blu-ray , DVD , CD. The later products use differnt lens. I am going to search this again to see if I am wrong.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (35,218 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

I am planing to open it up an try to clean the lens. This way I will know and the model of the Laser lens that it use to buy one and replace it.

It's just strange cause when it works , it works like nothing happened. No frame skip , no bigger loading or freeze.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (35,184 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

haramanai wrote:

I am planing to open it up an try to clean the lens. This way I will know and the model of the Laser lens that it use to buy one and replace it.

It's just strange cause when it works , it works like nothing happened. No frame skip , no bigger loading or freeze.

Why open it up and void any help Sony may yet give you? If you open it Sony will never replace or repair it.

Why not give Sony another call like I suggested? What do you have to lose by trying them again? You stand to lose everything if you open it and then can't repair it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (35,182 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

PFC_Hudson wrote:

haramanai wrote:

Why open it up and void any help Sony may yet give you? If you open it Sony will never replace or repair it.

Why not give Sony another call like I suggested? What do you have to lose by trying them again? You stand to lose everything if you open it and then can't repair it.

My PS3 is almost 22 months old. Sony replacing PS3 for 230 Euro. They are not willing to do anything else. I called them and I know. I even suggested them to buy my PS3 for 100 Euro. They are not going to help. They do not have a permition to open and fix PS3.

I was talking to the sony guy almost 20 minutes. His ansewer was always replace for 230 Euro.

UK I can see that there is a difference and I can understand this as the SCEE hq are in UK.The serve UK realy bette.

Can we get over this warranty thing please?

There is no more warranty. They have the right to abandon and they are doing it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (35,166 Views)
0 Kudos