Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: RTS games for the PS3?

So some of you know, Mice and Keyboard being available to console games IS NOT NEW! Who remember's the PC Game X-COM on the Playstation all those years ago? I bought the mouse for the Playstation because of that game and we are talking about 10 years ago now!!!! I think the new Civ game is going to show developers why Mouse and Keyboard is a must for console games!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I'm sorry but RTS only works with a keyboard

There have been enough games to dissprove that fallacy. Todays RTS games all have interfaces that make playing the game with only a mouse possible.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I did not say it's not possible but the best way to play RTS is with keyboard and mouse due to the amount of keys you have at your disposal, I mean if you want to play at a fast pace you'll deff be using shortcut keys that you don't have when using a controller pad. I know consoles are enable for keyboard and mouse but still some games don't use that interface. I'm a PC gamer that has no trouble at all swaping from mouse/keyboard to a sixaxis or even a 360 controller. I'm just sayin to get the most out of a RTS keyboard/mouse is the only way with the pheripherals avaibable on the market.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Tom Clancy End War need more be said google it and find some trailers
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I did not say it's not possible but the best way to play RTS is with keyboard and mouse due to the amount of keys you have at your disposal, I mean if you want to play at a fast pace you'll deff be using shortcut keys that you don't have when using a controller pad. I know consoles are enable for keyboard and mouse but still some games don't use that interface. I'm a PC gamer that has no trouble at all swaping from mouse/keyboard to a sixaxis or even a 360 controller. I'm just sayin to get the most out of a RTS keyboard/mouse is the only way with the pheripherals avaibable on the market.

I disagree, I've played RTS games since the original Command and Conquer and Warcraft games on the PC and never really used shortcut keys and always done very well at LAN parties and over the internet in multiplayer mode. Knowledge of the UI is all thats needed. With a good UI you make the keyboard redundant when you have an analogue stick you can use as a mouse and another to navigate menu's brought up by the buttons on the pad. You could say that the FPS game is better suited for the keyboard and mouse yet we still have more complex FPS games like Rainbow Six Vegas which gives a good example of how a GUI can be fluid and easy to use even in the heat of battle.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I actually enjoy playing FPS games on consoles with controllers, I have Battle for Middle-Earth 2 on the PC and played it on the 360, but the keyboard made it so much comfortable to play, and the pointer while using a mouse is more accurate than a using a joystick, I suppose like everything else comes down to what everybody as individuals feels more comfortable with, but if they do make RTS games for the consoles I would like them to include the keyboar/mouse interface, the hardware is there might as well use it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

imagine starcraft 2 on ps3, that would sell the console on its own, especially in south korea.
My reviews
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Fan-Reviews/Dante-s-Inferno-review-PS3-version/td-p/10205454
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Fan-Reviews/Way-of-the-Samurai-3-review-PS3-version/td-p/10165140
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Fan-Reviews/Dark-Void-review-PS3-version/td-p/10121747
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Fan-Reviews/Army-of-Two-The-40th-Day-review-PS3-version/td-p/10073262
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Fan-Reviews/Avatar-the-Game-review-PS3-version/td-p/9938637
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I actually enjoy playing FPS games on consoles with controllers, I have Battle for Middle-Earth 2 on the PC and played it on the 360, but the keyboard made it so much comfortable to play, and the pointer while using a mouse is more accurate than a using a joystick, I suppose like everything else comes down to what everybody as individuals feels more comfortable with, but if they do make RTS games for the consoles I would like them to include the keyboar/mouse interface, the hardware is there might as well use it. :smileyhappy:

It depends on how much effort the developers make really, LOTR:BFME was just a lazy port IMHO. I think developers could make far better use of the gamepad if they wanted to do so. I'd also like to see an option for gamepad or mouse/keyboard. The reason why i'd like to see an existing exclusive franchise used as the backdrop to an RTS is because if its done by a console developer its more likely to have more time spend on the UI and also that Sony are more open to third party controllers tan MS so would be more likely to add mouse and keyboard as an option.

imagine starcraft 2 on ps3, that would sell the console on its own, especially in south korea.

I wouldn't have considered it possible until blizzard and Activision merged, I don't hold much hope but if it did it would be huge in the same way that a console version of World of Warcraft would be a huge coup for the format that secured it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'd love if they bring back Warcraft RTS, there's really just a series of RTS titles I really like, Warhammer 40K series are awesome games, so glad of the new add on, and being a fantasy fan loved the BFME series as well, I recently played the demo for Joint Task Force and immediatly loved the game, went out and got it, is like playing BF2 on RTS, :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I still have Warcraft III installed as the missus loves playing that over the network. Total Annihilation was one of my favourites that I'd like to see a proper sequel made of. I tried the demo of Supreme Commander but didn't get along with it, perhaps I should give it another chance.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 30 (419 Views)
0 Kudos