PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

06 Feb 2010
By: steena_marie

1 Posts

Reinstalling the original operating system??Help please

19 Replies 9270 Views Created 06-02-2010

First off, I'd like to thank you all for any help in advance.

I broke up with my boyfriend of three years two nights ago, and he moved out this morning. While I was at school, he "backed up" my 120g ps3 onto his hard drive. Now when I turn it on, it says:

---The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disc must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.

Connect sotrage media that contains an update of version 3.15 or later, and then press the start and select buttons at the same time. ---

I talked to a few people alread they said to reboot it. I did that I keep getting the same message. So the operating system needs to be reinstalled but I have no idea how to do that.

I need step by step directions or a link to a tutorial.

Help??

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (9,270 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: Reinstalling the original operating system??Help please

[ Edited ]

ermm ..

hold down ps3 power button untill u hear 3 beeps i think it is then it should come up with a menu

just click restore ps3 system (quick restore)

Edit :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqACMhLQNeo&feature=related skip to 40 seconds and do from there on

done do number 4 on his list do number 5 restore ps3

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (9,254 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Sounds to me like he did more than make a backup to be honest. Sounds like your gonna have to start again.

First thing to try is to download firmware 3.15 to a memory stick. You can get it here

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item249463/Update-features-%28ver-3-15%...

pop this into your PS3 and follow the instructions.

Good luc

* Earn cash back on your game purchases @ Quidco or find the cheapest prices online @ Gamecrawler *
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (9,230 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

If that message has popped up I can probably guarantee that the hard drive that was in there has been replaced with another, you may want to check how much storage space you have on it, once it has been reformatted with firmware installed.

That message wouldnt (or shouldnt) come up by backing up or removing / putting back the same hdd.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (9,214 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

OK, as stated above should work, hes messed up your PS3 tut tut tut..

One thing that jumped out at me when i was reading tho more than that was Boyfriend of 3 years and while you were at school...   your a school till your 16, so if your still at school how old r u and living with your BF ???  

Unless your a teacher..

Sorry.. but Living with Boyfriend while at school sounds well.. so i had to ask lol

"Play you like a violin, I did."
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (9,202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

TheNomadic1 wrote:

OK, as stated above should work, hes messed up your PS3 tut tut tut..

One thing that jumped out at me when i was reading tho more than that was Boyfriend of 3 years and while you were at school...   your a school till your 16, so if your still at school how old r u and living with your BF ???  

Unless your a teacher..

Sorry.. but Living with Boyfriend while at school sounds well.. so i had to ask lol

You need to mind your own business  m8,
back on topic,as the other people have said it sounds like your ex has swapped the hard drive with another one,i suggest you get in contact with him and demand it back,
otherwise follow the advice already posted.
good luck.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (9,160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

she could have been 17, in which case she'd be 20.

If you don't think you can share a house/flat with another 19/20 year old the only relationship you'll have in life is with your PS3. have fun.

oh btw. good luck with fixing your ps3

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (9,127 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

No she said she was at school today, you finish school at 16, then goto college then uni..  If shes at school today shes 16 tops (if shes a pupil) and living with someone at that age... plus been together 3 years ...

Maybe im getting old my daughter is 10 but theres no way i would let her move in with a boyfriend at 15 /16..   It may be im stuck in the past cuz im getting old at 35..

Of course it could be shes a teacher lol, in which case it makes perfect sense..

"Play you like a violin, I did."
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (9,124 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Some of you guys are the weirdest.... just tell her how to fix the ***** thing!

Hold your power button till it beeps once - has a slight pause and beeps twice again then immediately let go.

Try choosing option 3, if that doesn't work - rebuild the PS3 System from scratch

Here's how to do it

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (9,117 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

Zaiyan wrote:

Some of you guys are the weirdest.... just tell her how to fix the ***** thing!

Hold your power button till it beeps once - has a slight pause and beeps twice again then immediately let go.

Try choosing option 3, if that doesn't work - rebuild the PS3 System from scratch

Here's how to do it

Actually there is more than that, if the PS3 HDD has been swapped out, and the original one put back it, it's complaining that the system files on the HDD are too old compared to the system firmware. you will definitely be able to get your PS3 back working again, however you won't have any game saves and you will have to re download anything you have downloaded from PSN again.

Firstly get a USB key (needs to be at least 512MB).

Make a directory on it called PS3 (needs to be UPPER CASE!)

Make a directory in there called UPDATE (again, needs to be upper case)

Use this app to download the following file to this UPDATE directory:
http://download940.mediafire.com/x7y0z1be9qbg/mt4myxotl0m/PS3Checker.exe

When the download is done, safely remove the USB key, put it into the PS3, it should then recognise the key and load the firmware from it. (follow the instructions onscreen, it's something like press Select and Start).

At this point, after the firmware has been reloaded, and the machine restarts, you MAY be able to use the PS3 as is (if the HDD your ex put back in, was the HDD originally removed). If not then your only option is to allow the PS3 to reformat and initialise the HDD.

Removed. No advertising.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (9,110 Views)
0 Kudos