17 Nov 2009

Playstation Staff

Resolution for 800283F0 HDD failure to restore

8 Replies 7,528 Views Created 17-11-2009

After upgrading to a 500gig drive, I was continually getting the message "The restore operation could not be completed.  The system will restart. (800283F0)" when attempting to restore from my backup.

I have just found that this appears to have been due to my PSP being registered to my PS3.  Unregistered it, completed a backup, swapped in the new formatted HDD, restore completed successfully.

Having wasted many many hours backing up and restoring and searching the internet for a resolution and coming up with nothing, I thought it worthwhile posting my fix in the hope that it saves someone else some hassle.  Give it a go if you're having the same issue, may help......and please reply to this post to let us all know how you went :-)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (7,528 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Resolution for 800283F0 HDD failure to restore

you may also find if you had any locked saves in that backup you did you will get that same error
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (7,492 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

yasink wrote:
you may also find if you had any locked saves in that backup you did you will get that same error

Ok then, does this great information come with a method to preserve locked game save files in order to successfully accomplish a restore? Killzone 2 comes to mind. I haven't been able to restore properly since about the time I loaded that game. The game save cannot be backed up that I know and I lost my progress for zero deaths up until the last checkpoint on veteran... :smileysad:

Sony sucks big time for not providing a safe, easy to use, reliable and consistent backup/restore facility for the PS3 console. Sony advertises one can upgrade the HDD size simple, however rarely are there no problems restoring backups to the larger drive. I doubt that everyone who has a backup, or backs up regularly there PS3 system, has actually tested that the restore WILL work and recovery all game demos, DLC, saves, music, pictures and movies as it should. The only missing items should be particular copyrighted data, which should be very minnimal.

My latest run in with this BS is a 60GB HDD to 60GB HDD restore of 43GB data thatruns to 100% completion and gives the the famous non-completion error. Afcter the requisiter database rebuild, there are no game saves, demo games or game data/dlc data. So what's the point of the backup I say.

In all the forums discussion this error code (800238F0) there is so much misinformation. It is a testament to the poor quality of Sony technical support for this extremely important issue. The time comsumers are wasting to troubleshoot this glitch is criminal IMO. The firmware SHOULD detail the data files that are not copyable at the outset of the backup process, as a warning. The restore should NEVER fail with a mere error code, but a proper error description that provides the user an actionable solution, even it if means linking to a url for the details.

Fan boys who will come to the aid of the PS3 backup/restore utility are only the fortunate few that haven't experienced the disasterous consequences of an unrecoverable PS3 system or HDD failure, only to find out they must spend days rebuilding their systems to a lessor state than what they had just before. Some things will be lost forever. For the nay sayers, I have a voodoo doll PS3 with yout name on it. Be careful what you say here or epect a system catastrophy on the near future... mooowahahaaaaaaa!    >-)

This is REAL, and it's SPECTACULAR!

FIX IT SONY!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (7,363 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

i'm getting the same issue 800238f0, but i don't have a PSP. what else could it be?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (6,902 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
I bought a SATA 2,5 of 500 GB, and i´m having the same issue.

I already tried restore three times, without sucess. I don´t have any PSP registered with the PS3.

Any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (5,934 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm having problems after my PS configuration failed, tried to restore to the backup I'd taken and get this screen coming up. I don't have a PSP or any other items configured for the PS3 to use, so why the restore fails I've no idea.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (5,691 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm also having this problem and haven't found anything more definitive than this thread. I sent a support email, and await a response.

My data backup went off without a hitch, though it did take a long time to complete.

However, on the restoration of the data to my new HDD, I encountered the 800238F0 error code.

I'm not sure how to go about finding the suspect file, or deleting it if/when I do.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (4,753 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

How do I go about finding locked saves? If this is the cause, that should be an easy fix right?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (4,744 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

My protected saves did not copy over from a full restore from my back-up. Before I did my back-up I copied my protected saves over to PS+ cloud as this allows for locked/protected saves to be copied.

Find out if a save is locked, find your saves on the XMB and press triangle and go down to the information. It will state if it's locked or not.

UPDATE: You may want to check my post here as someone has mentioned a few things to do before attempting another restore:

Restore could not be completed 800283F0?!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (4,180 Views)
0 Kudos