16 Apr 2010
By maxon27
Playstation Staff

Retrieving game data from broken ps3 with YLOD

45 Replies 28,087 Views Created 16-04-2010

Ever had the Yellow Light Of Death (YLOD) ?? well if you haven't?, it's just a matter of time before you do. So what should you do? first things first, whilst your ps3 is working right now at this moment, BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!! Its very important!. why is it so important? because if you get YLOD and you cant get it repaired then you WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR OFFLINE GAME DATA and at this moment in time there is NO WAY of getting it back, not even sony can retrieve it.

So why do sony allow this to happen? well i spoke to a person from sony support and they say, in you manual it tells you to BACKUP your data....but.. did you know that? No, well sony seem to think that we all should have known that.

Did you you know if you get the YLOD and you are out of the warrenty period, if  you send it to sony, you will get charged £100-£150 and in some cases i read, people have got there ps3's back with there game data erased... so not only are you paying £400 (if you got from release date) or £284.99  you got to pay £100-150 to get it fixed and you might not get it back with all your game data on.... Cheers sony for your services! lol. So why is being allowed to happen sony?.. i'll tell you why, so they can make even more money out of us.

I understand sony like to protect your personal data.... wait i mean themselves lol your data isn't important lol don't be silly. From what im told from sony support, sony protect the harddrive system data and personal data from there customers (YOU & ME), sony employees plus customers who would get ps3 and take it to a  computer replair shop...don't make sense to me, because if you buy a sony laptop and it breaks down, all data is retrieveable, system/personal or otherwise, so sony, thats just one big cop out!. I understand sony have to protect this data but do they really need to protect gamesave data?.

At this moment in time, if you stick in your ps3 HDD into a new or another ps3, the ps3 is programmed to format that HDD to register that HDD to the motherboard...WHY can't sony allow YOU & ME to be be able to just stick old HDD right into a new ps3 without formatting and just enter a personal code that we setup. So when you put in an older drive from a broken ps3, into a new ps3, the new ps3 would as for this code, we enter this personal code and BAM your ps3 allows the old HDD and away we would go. If only sony could have come up with that lol..... YOU LISTENING SONY? TRY PUT THIS INTO A NEW UPDATE FOR PS3 USERS TO BE ABLE TO HAVE NEW PS3'S READ OLD DRIVES.

OTHERWISE WHATS THE POINT IN BUYING MORE, NEW PS3 GAMES IF THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE WE WILL LOSE THE DATA FOR GOOD. SORT IT OUT SONY, YOU CAN'T IGNORE THIS FOR MUCH LONGER, THIS PROBLEM IS BECOMING BIGGER AND BIGGER, IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE SOMEONE SUE'S  YOU AND HAS A GOOD CASE TO DO SO.

Any one having these YLOD problems let me know.

Anyone who finds away to retrieve ps3 game data from broken ps3, please let me know.

I have tried putting ps3 HDD into encloser, then into new ps3 or pc and it dont work.

Please post.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46 (28,087 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Retrieving game data from broken ps3 with YLOD

One word:

Hairdrier

/thread
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 46 (28,083 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

You could just send it off to the console doctor to fix your broken ps3 and your data will be ok and they offer 6months warrenty

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 46 (28,073 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I have had it repaired once, worked for 2months, then it happened again. went to get it repaired again but this time it wouldn't work. Hair drying trick works but only for some and it won't last long till it happens again plus you end up distorting your ps3 till it looks like sloth from goonies lol.

Besides i can't see why sony can't just allow game save data to be readable via pc or ps3. Like i said before, sony should just allow us to setup a backup code that is then stored on the HDD, so when it comes to the point where your ps3 is nolonger repairable, you could just get new ps3, slip in HDD from broken ps3, new ps3 asks for the backup code, then excepts the drive. Everyone would that bit happier.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46 (28,036 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Hairdryer don't always work.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46 (28,046 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I used a hairdrier to fix a friends console...we then traded it in and got £100 toward a new one.

Not to mention we recovered his saves.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 46 (28,028 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

you recovered his saves because you was able to get the ps3 working but if you didn't get it working, you wouldn't of got the saves back. Point im trying to make which no one is getting, is that we should be given an option to be able to retrieve our game data even if the ps3 is broken. doing the hairdryer trick only extends the life for few months if your lucky but mark my words, it will happen again and their is only so much the ps3 motherboard can take of un controlled heat on parts of the board you don't even know your effecting. Trust me, you check google on how to retrieve data from ps3 and you will find loads of people who have fixed the ps3 from YLOD by different means but the YLOD still comes back. So its up to us as the customer to start letting sony know, its got a problem on there hands. As we pay loads of money for console, games, DLC i think we should get a system that we KNOW aint gonna break down. I still have a ps2 and i use to hammer it playing games, films, plus got that when first released and i'd say that ps2 is better value for money then ps3 because it still works even after all theses years without any problems.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46 (28,000 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I think that Sony probably are aware of the issue about getting data from a YLOD PS3 unfortunately :smileysad:

Probably the best (though not cheapest) way to work around the issue is to get a new console (with extended warranty :smileywink:, then hairdryer, DIY or 3rd party fix and data transfer the stuff across to the new one.

Not ideal, and not cheap - but at least it tends to work :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46 (27,987 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

the ps3 shouldn't break down in the first place but you are right, if you can get ps3 fixed, then yes you can backup or data transfer but if you cant get the ps3 fixed, nomatter what, you cant get data back. as soon as you put old ps3 hdd into abrand new ps3, it will ask to format first  which you dont want.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46 (27,984 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

you're absolutely correct there, unfortunately :smileysad:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos