Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Ridiculously Loud Fan & Sending it back to Sony?

Yeah, the floor is not a good place for it
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 34 (1,445 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

The fans are loud because it's decided it's running too hot.  If you fx that, you fix the fan noise.

Make sure it's adequetely vented.   Do the fans get loud if you put the PS3 on a coffee table with nothing around it?  If it stays quiet, then thats a surefire indication that it's usual location is no good.

The internals could be clogged up with dust.   If you don't smoke, then a fan-test will usually dislogde most dust, you can slso try hoovering the vents out.   If you smoke, then it['s game over, as the tar and dust combine to make "yellow goo" inside your PS3 that will never budge and always clog up and restrict airflow.

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 34 (1,434 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Mine went really loud the other day aswell :smileyfrustrated:. Only got it last month, I hope its nothing serious.
Psn- StretchY-
GT5
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 34 (1,425 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

st0rmbr1nger wrote:
The fans are loud because it's decided it's running too hot.  If you fx that, you fix the fan noise.

Make sure it's adequetely vented.   Do the fans get loud if you put the PS3 on a coffee table with nothing around it?  If it stays quiet, then thats a surefire indication that it's usual location is no good.

The internals could be clogged up with dust.   If you don't smoke, then a fan-test will usually dislogde most dust, you can slso try hoovering the vents out.   If you smoke, then it['s game over, as the tar and dust combine to make "yellow goo" inside your PS3 that will never budge and always clog up and restrict airflow.

Nope I don't smoke, never intend to. I thought it could be to do with dust, but theres hardly any dust in the room, and when I vacuumed it once, it ran virtually silent for about 10 minutes then the fan kicked in as usual

And I've moved it around a far bit to try and solve the not enough air space, or getting too hot problem, I've also done what you suggested before, but again, made no difference, and once I even went so far as to put it next to an open window and still made no difference at all

I think i'll have to phone Sony up at some point (or even drop then an e-mail if that's possible?) like TheDasMan said he did for his daughter, and see what they say.....

----------------------------------------------
How did I get here I am not good with computer
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 34 (1,394 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Right, I've been surfin' teh internetz and found that his problem, along with a few others can seemingly be fixed just by doing a factory reset. Im sure there was some sort of recovery option with the ps3, I just can't remember how to do it

Anyone know how to do or has aready done this? Like with setting the hole thing back to how it came, back to the orginal firmware etc? If any knows pleeeeeeease tell me!

If this doesn't work then I'm gonna get Sony on the phone and see what they can do......

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 34 (1,300 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

it is a console fault as its the Thermistors failsafe kicking in

the temp sensor has obvously failed and has a failsafe mode to stop the console overheating simple fix i expect but best go through the proper sources

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 34 (1,297 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Ahhh, thank you kind sir. Im going to give Sony a ring tomorrow or some time next week to see what the professional opinion is

But i've found a system restore option in the xmb which i'll try tomorrow (as its worked for other people) as it can't do any harm

I was just wondering, I think I know the answer, but if I take the Hard Drive out (I've got a 320GB installed) put the orginal in to restore the system, and then put my 320GB back in once I've restored it, it won't ask to format the 320GB will it?

I just want to make sure, as I don't want to lose all my game saves and movies.....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 34 (1,287 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I got my ps3 at the same time as you also a 40gb and mine done the same as yours the noise was so loud i think the fan belt had come off ! but it happened only after a month of me having mine so when i rang sony they sent me a brand new ps3 40gb 
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 34 (1,240 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well I've sent an email to Sony to see what they say (but I doubt they'll say much)

And that thread on here that says apparently all EU electrical goods have like a 2 year gurantee, then maybe I should be able to quote that to Sony, especially as the PS3 may be seen as being 'faulty' i.e if the temp sensor has failed

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 34 (1,193 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

XtraMinty wrote:

Right, I'm sure you've all seen and heard (although not in person fortunately for you) the problems with regards to the ps3 fan going stupidly loud, so much so that it beings to get hard to hear it over the actual TV volume. I have this unfortunately, and its become so annoying now, that when Im in my room, what I have had to do it hook my tv up to a stereo and have the sound come out of those speakers really loud just to drown out the noise of my silly fan.

I have had my 40gb PS3 since the end of January 2008, (Bought from ASDA electricals of all places :smileyvery-happy: ) and I recall that for the first few months it was absolutely fine, playing on Resistance and Motorstorm with little to no fan noise, but one night when I was playing GTA 4 about a month after release, the ultra fan kicked in and I was wondering what the hell was going on, so decided to re-boot the system and see what happened. The fan didn't start up again until a few days later when it became as loud as it is now. I would re-boot but it would start up super loud again within about 10-15 minutes, so I just gave up and cranked up the volume

In the beginning, it was a GTA-only problem, but a few months after that (sort of around Sept 08) it started to do it on other games, even Resistance and Motorstorm, the previously quiet games, and even after just leaving the xmb on for 10 minutes, or just watching a film from the hard drive. I've since got a fair amount of new games and it does it on every single game, save for PS1 Games. The same applies for when I watch DVDs and Blu Rays through it.

And before I get told its because my room is too warm, too dusty etc, the PS3 is upright on the floor, has about a foot all around it, and the temperature in my room isn't that high either (I'll have to get a thermometer and have a look). It seems to be doing it for no good reason.

I've heard that its because of dust in the ps3, or perhaps a software error or some kind of *****-up with the internal thermometers? Can anyone offer and explanation, and possibly a solution to the problem?

I've seen on youtube that a few people with the same problem have sent theirs back to Sony and its been fine, if so, how could I go about doing this, and how would it work, as I bought the PS3 well over a year ago.....and have only recently found out it would have been possible to do so. I thought I would have had to stick with the problem....

Any help much appreciated.....

On the floor? What the hell - where do you think most dust in a room ends up? If its on a carpet - that's even worse - it'll be sucking up dust from the carpet - honestly - its a powerful computer system not a fisher price toy!!

I just posted a thread about how you can clean the fan - you'll need to take the PS3 apart to a certain level of deconstruction - but I did it and it took about an hour (reconstructing it too) - the thread is called 'cleaning the PS3 by dismantling'. But you HAVE to follow the tutorials linked there STEP by STEP.

I think that cleaning the fan will really help and I imagine that there is a lot of dust inside the console now - so you can get rid of that too.

If you don't like that idea - phone Sony Consumer services and ask them about getting your PS3 internally cleaned - tell them that specifically you want the fan cleaned and for them to check the thermal grease/paste inside!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 34 (1,170 Views)
0 Kudos