16 Mar 2011
Playstation Staff

RockSmith - Guitar game that uses real guitars !!!

10 Replies 1,013 Views Created 16-03-2011

I've always though spending countless hours trying to get note perfect results in those Guitar based games using a plastic buttoned controller rather pointless, I mean you could of learnt the real instrument if you had spent as much time at it.

I also don't know why there hasn't been a game that does the same thing but uses a real guitar as the interface, there by via playing the game you actually get something out of it, which would be a learning tool as well as a game.

Looks like Ubisoft has seen the potential as well, they bought the, up till now vapourware "Guitar Rising" from KORN, and are developing it for console gaming.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/15/ubisoft-announces-rocksmith-a-rhythm-game-that-uses-real-guitar/

It's only for rhythm guitar parts ATM, but if they can get it working with solo parts it could possibly see it as one of the biggest selling games in history when you consider that it blends out right guitar tutorials with the motivation of game play.

Couple that with the fact that the average age/sex demographic of the game playing public falls right into the same one for taking up the guitar.

I suppose it will all depend on the implementation, and the interface lag from the electrified guitar signals conversion to a signal that the game can understand.

Something definitely to watch out for anyway, it could be huge if done right.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (1,013 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: RockSmith - Guitar game that uses real guitars !!!

This should be coming out soonish.
Their website indicates a Fall release (around Sep - Dec).

Maybe in time for Xmas.

Really looking forward to shredding some.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (832 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

blackwiggle wrote:

I also don't know why there hasn't been a game that does the same thing but uses a real guitar as the interface, there by via playing the game you actually get something out of it, which would be a learning tool as well as a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5De9eCH1EU

Nuff said.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (826 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Is that one out yet Windslot?

Based on the advertisting, Rocksmith looks a lot more researched and custom than RockBand.

That said, this is the first time I've heard about the RockBand one.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (822 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Yeah it is. But to my knowledge it's exclusive to Best Buy in the US. I'm sure there are ways around getting it here though if you have the coin to drop.

Based on that Rocksmith video it sounds like you can use any guitar whereas I'm pretty sure you can't in RB3 because of the sensors in the neck of the guitar.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (817 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Yep no longer exclusive to Best Buy but still expensive. Its on Amazon if you want to look. Has got great reviews there.

Music games live and die on their tracklist though.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (814 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Definitely, sidawg2.

RockSmith seems to promise a better overall experience and even lends itself to teaching guitar, is intuitive and raises your skill level based on your progressive score. Seems a lot more purpose built.

RockBand could be just another franchise add-on - based on availability and cost, the fan base may not be large enough to sustain support with longevity.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (811 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Definitely interested in this. I am a rhythm game tragic.

It will be interesting to see if it feels like a game or falls into the 'educational software' field.

I have the keyboard for RB3 and at times the tutorials (esp doing scales) feels too much like work and not enough like fun. I hope they get the balance right.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (799 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

bit pricey???

typical eb though

https://www.ebgames.com.au/ps3-156844-Rocksmith-Guitar-Bundle-PlayStation-3

I'll cause you so much f..kn mcpain,Mclane

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (446 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (427 Views)
0 Kudos