PS3 General

08 Dec 2011
By: ytevo79 Beta Tester 16511 Posts
Level 9

Slight concerns with PS3 (locking up).

28 Replies 1642 Views Created 08-12-2011

Model: CECH - 2103B (75/250GB free)

FW: 4.00

Bearing in mind Skyrim has been flawless for me after 70+ hours until the update which has caused a few lock ups.

It all started a few nights back while playing Skyrim. I fast travelled to a location and it froze (while auto saving) so I had to do a hard reset. Upon booting the PS3 it told me it was not shut down correctly and that one of the files on the hard disc may be corrupt. It then tells me that its going to check and repair any damage it finds and so off it goes. It reboots, and I think with a slight worry that's it, I'm done with Skyrim. I deleted the game data and left the game until its fixed.

Yesterday while playing Battlefield 3 it froze from a massive explosion, so I had to do a hard reset. Unusual for Battlefield I thought and rebooted and carried on. 

Come later that night, playing American McGee's Alice, I was in the middle of a boss battle and the game stuttered, then starting auto saving (again both auto saving) and froze. No response from the game or the XMB so another hard reset. The PS3 boots and tells me again that a file may be corrupt, and that its going to check and repair it. After its finished, I go straight to my save file and delete the corrupt file. Boot the game and load my manual save up which was right at the beginning of the boss fight and continue on until I decide its bed time.

So that's 3 games in such a short space of time (more then usual), 2 autosaves, causing 2 hard resets resulting in corrupted data. Now I can turn it off in Skyrim, but I can't on Alice so that isn't an option.

What is causing this? Could it be my Skyrim saves since the update that's ticked my PS3 off?

Is it just a spout of bad luck so close together? Not a good piece of mind that tho risking game saves left right and centre, or worse, my console. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 29 (1,642 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Slight concerns with PS3 (locking up).

It's happened to me twice whilst playing Starhawk, never happened before in over 4 years.

I think the check file hing is the firmware being more strict on crashes and checking its self *just incase*
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 29 (1,620 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Yeah but you expect lockups from a beta.

Mines doing it while the game is auto saving, or if there is a lot going on in game. Thus then corrupts my save because it never completed the save.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 29 (1,614 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

True, since 4.0 I haven't played any other games only a brief go on BF3 MP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 29 (1,607 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

[ Edited ]

I'm not starting a conspiracy here. Lol. My Slim is about half the age of yours but ever since the 1.2 patch for Skyrim my system has been extremely prone to full system lockups in games which have always run without issue. Perhaps it's even a FW 4.0 issue, I dunno.

I just tend to cancel the Auto OS check each time now. It's certainly concerning though, the PS3 is not a good machine to go from Hot with cooling to Hot with no cooling in an instant.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 29 (1,601 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Danlisa wrote:

I'm not starting a conspiracy here. Lol. My Slim is about half the age of yours but ever since the 1.2 patch for Skyrim my system has been extremely prone to full system lockups in games which have always run without issue. Perhaps it's even a FW 4.0 issue, I dunno.

I just tend to cancel the Auto OS check each time now. It's certainly concerning though, the PS3 is not a good machine to go from Hot with cooling to Hot with no cooling in an instant.

That did cross my mind as it was fine before FW 4.00 (I didn't want to upset the forum defence league :smileyvery-happy:) and Skyrim v 1.2. But I deleted the Skyrim patch and shortly after 2 games lock up one causing another corrupted save. The only thing left is FW 4.00 with its new corrupsavefilechecker thing.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 29 (1,593 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

I was having similar problems a few weeks ago with BF3 but after i did the rebuild database thing it seems to have sorted it's self out now.

I think some problems are down to adding & deleting stuff from ps3 must leave parts of the hdd fragmented & as there is no defrag option it tends to cause problems later on when adding in new games.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 29 (1,557 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

I don't have skyrim, and have had no issues since the firmware update. But I've got a 60GB so none of the firmware is on the HDD, which might be a factor.

Maybe skyrim freezing has caused corrupt data on the hard drive, which could have affected the firmware. Or maybe corrupt data hasn't been removed from the hard drive correctly.

Or even (a long shot), theres an issue with the HDD. A bad sector or two that has been picked up when the file system was checked. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 29 (1,538 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Muttykins wrote:

I was having similar problems a few weeks ago with BF3 but after i did the rebuild database thing it seems to have sorted it's self out now.

I think some problems are down to adding & deleting stuff from ps3 must leave parts of the hdd fragmented & as there is no defrag option it tends to cause problems later on when adding in new games.

TBF I was expecting that as my first answer, but is it just a bodge? Or will it solve my problem? Is it safe to do i.e I wont lose anything?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 29 (1,533 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Just had a read up on rebuilding the database (I've never had any interest in what it was before) and followed it through.

Wont now if its fixed anything yet unless I get another lockup. Been on BF3 most the day and its been fine but we'll see how it goes from now on.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 29 (1,512 Views)
0 Kudos