16 Sep 2008
Playstation Staff

~ Small Guide to Installing Stuff on Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 ~

[ Edited ]
31 Replies 6,856 Views edited 16-09-2008

Linux logo Small Guide to Installing Stuff on Yellow Dog Linux For PS3Linux logo

PLEASE NOTE: This guide is for people who have just installed Yellow Dog Linux and are wanting to get going in testing it out with cool new programs!

Ok so here you are you have just installed linux and your thinking how do I get going on all the cool stuff that linux has been hyped up to do, well im going to show you first of all Linux is nothing at all like Windows when it comes to installing programs so don't go downloading random emulators, applications off the internet thinking they will work on linux because they wont!

FIRST OFF (VERY IMPORTANT STEP) DO NOT SKIP!!!

Alot of applications on Linux require additional Repos (especially the game emulators) so you need to download and install the repo package here using linux: - http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/ps3linux/ezrepos-2-ydl6.ppc.rpm

Once you have installed them (should only take a second) you need to open up a terminal to do this go to Applications - Accessoreies - Terminal and copy and paste these lines in:

yum install yum-protectbase

echo 'protect=1' >> /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo
echo 'protect=1' >> /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-updates.repo

NOTE - If it says anything about not having permission log off linux and log on with your user name as "root" and your password the same as your log in password

Ok once you have that out of the way we can get on with the fun stuff hopefully:

Programs you can Install using this Guide:

1) MARBLE (ALOT LIKE GOOGLE EARTH)

2) VLC PLAYER (PLAYS LOADS OF DIFFERENT VIDEO FORMATS)

3) TRANSMISSION (LIKE BIT COMET, BIT TORRENT ETC)

4) XE EMULATOR (PLAYS LOADS OF RETRO GAMES LIKE GENESIS, NES ETC)

5) JAVA(QUITE HARD TO INSTALL BUT I'LL EXPLAIN)

6) SNES9 1.51 GTK (SNES EMULATOR)

7) SDL MAME(ARCADE GAME EMULATOR)

8) MEDNAFEN (GAMEBOY EMULATOR)

Note - more will be added in the future

1) Marble

Go to Applications - System Tools - Add/Remove Software. From there go to the search tab at the top and search for "Marble" Once you have found it, tick the box next to it and then click apply. The program will now install (Should take between 1-3mins) Once it has finished go to Applications - Edutainment - Marble, open it and it will ask to install the maps, just click yes and away you go.

2) VLC Player

Ok, open up a Terminal (Applications - Accessoreies - Terminal) and type:

su (hit enter)

[enter your password] (hit enter)

yum install vlc (hit enter)

Vlc should now start installing.

3) Transmission

Go to Applications - System Tools - Add/Remove Software. From there go to the search tab at the top and search for "Transmission" Once you have it found, tick the box next to it and then click apply. The Program will now be installed(NOTE, it might ask to install over software for it to work just click yes or  ok) Once it has finished installing (takes about 1-2mins) Go to Applications - Internet - Transmission. Theres your torrent program, for anyone who has just bittorrent, bit comet or anything like that before will know what to do from there. A good Torrent site is Piratebay(just search it on google) You can either download the torrent directly from when you click download torrent on the site or you can double click the torrent file for it to start downloading

4) XE Emulator

Very simple here if you followed the Very Important Step at the top. Go here using Linux : http://tinyurl.com/xe216easyinstall, download and install it and your done.

5) Java (This can be a pain to get working)

Go to this site using linux: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html

Under the “Latest Java releases and download links” heading, click on the “SR3” link for J2SE 5.0 on 32-bit iSeries/pSeries. The anoying thing is you have to register, exsept all the agreements and stuff so you need to do this. After you have done this you will be at a page with all of the options for the Java version 5.0 on 32-bit iSeries/pSeries. Under the JRE section click download the RPM format and download this "ibm-java-ppc-jre-6.0-1.0.ppc.rpm" Install it using the default software installer. You think its done? your wrong sadly.

Once it has finished installing find this file "libjavaplugin_oji." it should be in "/opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin" on your c drive. Right click the file and select “Make link” it should rename the file to “link to libjavaplugin_oji.so”  cut this file and find this folder "/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.1/plugins" Paste it in here.

Hopefully if you have done all this right it SHOULD work, you can test it by going to www.Funorb.com

6) SNES9

First Install Port Audio:

http://tinyurl.com/6ly8lf

Then Install Snes9x 1.51 Gtk:

http://tinyurl.com/5r9khq

7) SDL MAME

Open up a Terminal (Applications - Accessoreies - Terminal) and enter this:

su
<root password>
yum install sdlmame

• once installed you will need to edit this file:
    /etc/mame/mame.ini

open with text editor and change these:
     multithreading from 0 to 1
     video from opengl to soft
     joystick from 0 to 1

also add

autoframeskip 1 to the bottom of the file

You need to put the ROM's (the games) in this folder "/usr/share/mame/roms" NOTE: Keep them in a ZIP folder don't extract the ROMs

Once you have done this you can open MAME by typeing "mame" in a terminal

8) Mednefen

You can download and install Mednafen from here install it using the default install method
  http://tinyurl.com/5zxd9p

Then you need to download the Config file from here: http://tinyurl.com/662nel

Copy the Config file here "/.mednafen/mednafen.cfg" (NOTE this folder can be found by going to your home folder from your desktop then clicking "show all files from inside that folder) It might ask to overwrite click YES.

Then Type Mednafen with the game you want to play next to it in a terminal like this "mednafen ~path of game~" To find the path of the game right click it and go to propaties and just copy and paste the file path

A Few FAQ's

"Does Linux overwrite the original OS of the PS3?"

NO, it doesn't all it does is take 10gb away from your HDD and gives that to the Other OS(Yellow dog linux in our case)

"Where can I get Yellow Dog Linux"

This isn't a guide to install linux just for people who have recently installed it, if your intrested in installing Linux you can get loads of help from here http://www.yellowdog-board.com/index.php

"Is it all Free?"

Yes

"Whats the point in Linux on a PS3? can't I just use Windows on my PC"

Hmm good point but think about it.... Why would you need a PC when you have a PS3 that can basically do everything a PC can do? (When you have Linux of course :smileytongue:)

"Can you use the PS3 controller on emulated games?"

You can indeed, some will require you to config the controles but most will do it when you plug it in (make sure you restart the emulator when you plug in a new USB joystick)

And thats it for now obviously I'll try and add more applications and FAQ's to the guide. Some of the features might sound tricky but they are great when you get used to them. If you need any help just post and I'll try and reaply as fast as possible

Good sites for more Yellow Dog Linux help:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/index.php

Message Edited by willkill12345 on 16-09-2008 07:03 PM
Message Edited by willkill12345 on 16-09-2008 07:14 PM
Message Edited by willkill12345 on 16-09-2008 07:22 PM
Message Edited by willkill12345 on 16-09-2008 07:27 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 32 (6,856 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: ~ Small Guide to Installing Stuff on Yellow Dog Linux ~

Hmm 2 hours to write not that bad.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 32 (6,836 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Anyone tell me if the Linux Penguin logo's have shown up at the top? Im not sure if they will apear right :smileyfrustrated:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 32 (6,826 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Very useful guide :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 32 (6,824 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Pretty good. Nice :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 32 (6,821 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

good guide
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 32 (6,810 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Anyone tell me if the 2 penguin images at the top have shown up correctly?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 32 (6,780 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

willkill12345 wrote:

Yup there fine.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 32 (6,775 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

willkill12345 wrote:

i cant see em
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 32 (6,772 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Tilly-uk wrote:

willkill12345 wrote:

i cant see em

You sure? Iv asked a few friends and they said they can see them ok, anyway, its not that important I guess, its the guide that matters :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 32 (6,751 Views)
0 Kudos