02 Oct 2009

Playstation Staff

Small Mod

[ Edited ]
8 Replies 385 Views edited 02-10-2009

After my second YLOD(60GB) i made this:  Thats very reduces my PS3 temperature. I think, Sony has made very bad cooling. 

Message Edited by TomasFBR on 02-10-2009 08:02 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (385 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Small Mod

[ Edited ]

Why not simply put a proper fan on instead of turning your PS3 into Frankenstein?

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/787/787314p1.html
Message Edited by wombatear on 02-10-2009 08:07 AM
Message Edited by wombatear on 02-10-2009 08:11 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (374 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Makes me wonder that if all or most errors such as the ylod and the rrod are due to excessive heat on the mianboards components, how do people who live in a hot climate cope? Machines around the mediterranean must be dropping like flies lol
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (362 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

The hottest my games room got was one saturday morning when the thermometer hit its limit (40C). That day I had the box fanpointing at me AND the PS3.

I keep my PS3 well ventilated (all round) and have also put four 3mm felt "feet" on the underside to increase the gap between the PS3 bottom and the shelf as that seemed to get quite hot.

Online PS gaming since 2003 - http://www.oaps.org
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (331 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

That looks horrible. Why not but a better fan in like i did with my xbox 360.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (304 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

LOL, i remember when people thought it was cool to cut up their 360 and fill it with led's and fans even water cool them.

cutting up a ps3 is like punching jessica alba repeatedly in the face before taking her out to dinner.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (286 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

More fans-more loud. In future i will hide this hole with some type of grid or somethig else. Sorry, english is not my native language :smileyhappy:  http://www.ipix.lt/desc/16522074/

Message Edited by TomasFBR on 02-10-2009 10:11 AM
Message Edited by TomasFBR on 02-10-2009 10:12 AM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (262 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

THC_steve_0 wrote:

LOL, i remember when people thought it was cool to cut up their 360 and fill it with led's and fans even water cool them.

cutting up a ps3 is like punching jessica alba repeatedly in the face before taking her out to dinner.

Quote of the day xD

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (190 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]
File the edges down and put a fan grill in with dust filters It would look better :smileyhappy: But i dont like tbh If i was to do it I would just replace the fan with a Antec big boy(think its the name its 200mm xD) if it would fit and leave it at that :smileyfrustrated:

Also Watercool it :smileytongue: Ive seen it done but you'd have to make custom blocks etc :smileysad:
Message Edited by TrueSlawter on 02-10-2009 01:43 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (182 Views)
0 Kudos