Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Sony Announce New ‘Pre-Buy’ Service

Obviously it's in sonys interests to do this... Now why can't they just use this sensible approach and install it into most of the other areas due, nay Overdue for common-sense approaches, universal store, 'real' ps1or ps2 'classics' i guess the list would be a long one, If i continued.. As for digital, well not unless i need to, or i actually plan on keeping a game.. mind you i suppose most games need playing First before that call can be truly made.. read an interview last week, apparently mobile phones Will have the same gaming power as ps3/x-box in 3to4 years (tops) wow... i can only 'imagine' then what next gen consoles will be capable of.. But one thing i Am expecting in them is either exclusive or use of 'cloud' gaming..also discs Will one day be gone from modern gaming. so i really hope a buy-back, trade in play rights, or Some sort of used game reward is introduced... Obviously, though possible And reasonable, twill never happen.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20 (269 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

LarasAider wrote:

BiosNova wrote:
Steam have done this for ages and it's a great feature.

To explain, people might want to buy the digital version of a game. Now if they can pre download it to their console then it is unlocked on release day, they can play right away like their friends who might have bought it on disc, they are not waiting all day to download the game and are not missing out that day just because they chose the download copy.

This is very helpful to people with slow connections who can have it ready to go day one.

Whether you download today or tomorrow; people would still be missing out on valuable playing time and clogging up their Hard Drives.

No you wouldn't, obviously you just download it while you're idle or just before going to bed or something, assuming you can't download it in the background.

While I prefer physical copies, this is a very handy and user friendly feature for people who like digital copies of games, or PSN exclusives opposed to retail only titles.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20 (250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Yeah I don't see the problem either, it's just another choice and HDD's are made to be used. It's not my bag but I already know of a few that have signed up for Sorcery this way.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20 (240 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

There will be users who will think "if a games READY for Download then the BD release date should not matter" and the game should be put on PSN for instant play that day ignoring the BD release date. 

Those users wont care about creating a division of the user base (unlike SCE). PSN downloaders vs BD owners...

These users just prefer less waiting time for their game. (Same reasoning behind importing of US BD titles that take months to be localised to EU.) 

SCE has allready Divided Its user base with MOVE and PS+ Exclusive only content, looks like they were not prepaired to divide it more. 

Sorcery,  the first tilte on this system is a MOVE exclusive title, so the User base is allready Split from DS3 only users.. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast... and TV from Sky PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20 (222 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

PSN is still overpriced when it comes to new games, so I think the majority would weigh up the gaming market first and just buy from the cheapest supplier. I mainly use my hard Drive for DLC, music and PSN games and I usually wait until I have enough information before I purchase.

Two question's though:

What if the developer changes something in the game last minute and you've downloaded the game prior to the changes, would the changes install automatically when you start the game or would you have to download the updated game again when the finished product is released?

Also what's the time frame between the advertisement being put on display for download; till the actual product being released? 

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/69344 - Please sign

To PlayStation... Semper Fidelis
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20 (193 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

LarasAider wrote:

What if the developer changes something in the game last minute and you've downloaded the game prior to the changes, would the changes install automatically when you start the game or would you have to download the updated game again when the finished product is released?

The BD version goes "gold" long before the BD release date. It takes along time to get the first shipment out to every Shop for the same release day. So BDs versions are OLD. 

Any changes to the game after this "gold" status date, Means a Day 0 patch for the BD release.

If they get a new PSN version threw PSN QA the patch will be in the PSN version other wise you get the same day 0 patch.

EA did this with Mass effect 2 it was a Different version on PSN than the BD...

Also what's the time frame between the advertisement being put on display for download; till the actual product being released? 

No body but the publishers knows yet and they are not saying. Activison may give you Two weeks notice, EA could give you 3 weeks, THQ only 3 days. Or SCE may Fix the time frame.

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast... and TV from Sky PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20 (190 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

This is all well & good for the pc market with most pc's having multiple LARGE hdd & a choice of which drive to put the dload on, but for the ps3, it's never going to work........

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20 (185 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Simy wrote:
This is all well & good for the pc market with most pc's having multiple LARGE hdd & a choice of which drive to put the dload on, but for the ps3, it's never going to work........

I hear what you're saying but between a 500GB HDD, media sharing and an Ext. HDD I've never once worried about space for DD games, the vast majority of media other than games isn't on my PS3 HDD.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20 (176 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

this is a step in the right direction. People that are complaining about this really do baffle me. I can not see a negative. It s an extra option, it does not take anything away from anyone else, just for those that want to play bang on mid night then its great.

As others have said steam do this, I did it with Diablo 3 and then right when servers went live I could play. I have a 320gb ps3 and not run out of space yet and I have over 50 psn games on there and several full games too.

Keep it up I say, more options the better.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20 (169 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

daviina wrote:
this is a step in the right direction. People that are complaining about this really do baffle me. I can not see a negative. It s an extra option, it does not take anything away from anyone else, just for those that want to play bang on mid night then its great.

As others have said steam do this, I did it with Diablo 3 and then right when servers went live I could play. I have a 320gb ps3 and not run out of space yet and I have over 50 psn games on there and several full games too.

Keep it up I say, more options the better.

This. People really do moan about everything. :smileysurprised:

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20 (167 Views)
0 Kudos