PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

25 Aug 2009
By: boffin92 Member 7733 Posts
Level 3

Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

[ Edited ]
26 Replies 641 Views edited 25-08-2009

I know there's a thread with the ads alone in but this explains the whole situation...

guardian.co.uk wrote:

Sony is to launch an £82m pan-European marketing campaign for the PlayStation 3, firing the first advertising salvo against rivals Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Xbox as consumers start to think about presents for Christmas 2009.

The TV element of the campaign, which has been developed by the TBWA agency, marks a complete departure from Sony's traditional tactic of often esoteric and dark commercials.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, which has committed £6m to marketing in the UK, has not run a major ad campaign for the PS3 since the new games console launched almost two years ago.

The launch of the PS3 was accompanied by a TV ad featuring a range of bizarre Cirque du Soliel-type performers, called "the entertainers", to represent the capabilities of the console.

However, the new set of TV ads, the first of which launch in the UK tonight, focus on the simpler aim of describing the range of services available on the PS3; these include online gaming and Blu-ray movies, downloading TV and film content and being able to watch the BBC iPlayer.

"Two years after launch PlayStation 3 is realising its full potential," said Alan Duncan, UK marketing director. "The console is moving beyond gaming and gaming is moving beyond discs."

SCEE is desperate to win the Christmas sales battles against rivals Nintendo and Microsoft this year. The campaign comes on the heels of a price-cut announcement at the European games trade show Gamescom.

Screen Digest has forecast that Sony will sell 4.3m PS3 consoles across Europe this year and a total of 11.16m across the lifetime of the product to date.

Looks like a nice, fresh approach to go with the slim, they're bringing out the big guns finally.

PS3 Slim,

rebranding,

cheaper price,

FW 3.00,

£82m ad campaign,

Movie and TV on-Demand service,

growing platinum range

and many big titles coming out over the next year.

...things seem to really be looking up for Sony themselves and us, the consumers. :smileyhappy: 

Wooh!

Message Edited by boffin92 on 25-08-2009 02:19 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (641 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Sony launches £82m ad push for PlayStation 3 across Europe.

It was only a matter of time before Sony stormed into the lead anyways now they will cover some major ground which they have lost due to the Wii and 360 imo. they always make a good comeback. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (631 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

TUCKA4EVA wrote:
It was only a matter of time before Sony stormed into the lead anyways now they will cover some major ground which they have lost due to the Wii and 360 imo. they always make a good comeback. :smileyhappy:

that was the justification for me paying the extra £150 last year and sacrificing being able to play with alot of friends. xbox live really realy overshadowed psn , but its climbing pack . and when you look at the £30 vs free . they really are coming forward strongly . the more consoles sold . the more money can be given to psn and the machine itself and the better it gets . im glad  sonys own titles are really shining through now . i thought it wouldnt be long before alot of devs would dump the ps and move over to the box for the pure reason of money . its not easy trying to compete against one of the richest companys in the world . and despite being able to take a huge loss on console by being able to drop it to £130 sony have really held strong . last year i thought i it would be sonys last 1 or 2 console gens. doesnt look that way anymore 

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (606 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

whereismax123 wrote:

TUCKA4EVA wrote:

that was the justification for me paying the extra £150 last year and sacrificing being able to play with alot of friends. xbox live really realy overshadowed psn , but its climbing pack . and when you look at the £30 vs free . they really are coming forward strongly . the more consoles sold . the more money can be given to psn and the machine itself and the better it gets . im glad  sonys own titles are really shining through now . i thought it wouldnt be long before alot of devs would dump the ps and move over to the box for the pure reason of money . its not easy trying to compete against one of the richest companys in the world . and despite being able to take a huge loss on console by being able to drop it to £130 sony have really held strong . last year i thought i it would be sonys last 1 or 2 console gens. doesnt look that way anymore 

yeh i see what you mean, well i never payed for my PS3 to get fixed i just bought i new 1 instead lol. But the cost of live vs free Psn is a no brainer for M$, they wont be able to keep up with it. I would of bought a PS3 even if didnt have blu ray tbh cause i always no sony still make good quality games :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (591 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

I think the best next step for them when they get the price of production even lower is bundle in a headset, that will really help align it with community and online focused gaming, which is a big part of console gaming's future; and present to some degree. :smileyhappy:

A basic HDMI cable in the box would be good somehwere down the line too, one of my computard friends was playing on a HDTV in SD using the av cables, *facepalm*. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by boffin92 on 25-08-2009 02:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (576 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Seems like the PS3 Slim will be a fresh launch of the PS3 for Sony, and will be the launch the original PS3 should have had. Good to see them going back to their PS2 roots and starting to advertise the great features the PS3 has.

Good on Sony.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (548 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

"Sony's traditional tactic of often esoteric and dark commercials"

That has been there biggest problem

Now it time for sony to get up.

Lets hope they can make it work.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (542 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

To hell with 82 Million being spent on advertising. Put that money into further development of the console, XMB features etc. Make the PS3 a machine that gamers want above anything else. Do that and you won't need to spend on advertising, the console will sell itself.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (535 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Sherif_129 wrote:

Seems like the PS3 Slim will be a fresh launch of the PS3 for Sony, and will be the launch the original PS3 should have had. Good to see them going back to their PS2 roots and starting to advertise the great features the PS3 has.

Good on Sony.

Yeh but lets just hope it doesnt heat up like SlimPs2 did or that would be a major whole in their operation lol
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (531 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

shame the just didnt invest half that amount on the PSN store...

All this will be lost in time... like tears in rain...Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (507 Views)
0 Kudos