Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Sony's poor customer service and complaint procedure

Of you had an engineers report and they still refused ti replace it then you needed to make a stand for your rights under the Sale Of Goods Act.

A letter before action should have been sent to their head office giving 14 days to respond and if still no luck, a small claims should have been lodged with your local court.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 65 (634 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

kellinho wrote:

i think the retailer 3year thing is a funny one as well as i tried with tesco. in store and head office but they didn't accept that

Take the retailer to small claims , once they know that you know your rights and that you are acting upon your rights they will act.If they don't they will loose in small claims courts as long as you have an engeneers report which states the product was not miss used by you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 65 (596 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i've managed to get money back from several things using the small claims court. never even thought of it for this

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 65 (560 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It's an absolute disgrace. Here's my story (it's a long one sorry). I dunno why people are sticking up for Sony here. I don't want to go into too much detail of how businesses work, but generally when someone spends more money, they get preferential treatment. They are, after all a business and out to make money.

My background in gaming with playstation is PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita, PS Plus and thousands of pounds worth of games across all of those consoles. I literally couldn't buy anymore ps products as their simply aren't any.
Anyway, my PS3 shut down the other day half way through a game of FIFA (40gb model almost 5 yrs old) and developed the YLOD. I called Sony and spoke to a very nice chap who ran through my options (well, option). I could pay £110 and receive a refurbished console with a 90 warranty. Because the 40gb is an old model they would replace it with a slim (1st version) as they don't have many 40gb's hanging around and I would get it back within 7 working days. I thanked the guy for his info but explained to him that I felt the fee was too high for this 'service' as I could buy a brand new (2nd version slim) for around £130-140 if I'd had more money than sense. He said he could escalate to his manager and I would get a callback within an hour. I thanked him and waited for the callback.
About the same time the next day, almost exactly 24 hours later I got a callback from a manager who basically spoke to me like sh*t. Wouldn't answer any of my questions (the old politician responses) in an obvious attempt to avoid liability. Anyway, he just kept repeating the same rubbish, so I asked for further escalation. The manager refused at first but eventually agreed and advised I'd get a callback the next day from head office. As promised I got the call, this guy also spoke to me like he'd just scraped me off of his shoe and went on as if I was asking for a brand new PS4. I explained to him the situation but still no joy. And people wonder why Sony are losing billions. This manager refused to escalate any further after I informed him I still wasn't happy.

In Summary;
I was basically looking for a more reasonable price of repair. The last manager (head office) I spoke to lied through his teeth. Claimed he was meeting me halfway by providing a slim(!) and told me that Sony subsidise the cost of repair! If they pay anywhere near £110 to refurb these consoles in their own factories then someone seriously needs speaking to.
What i was most annoyed with was the fact that it is impossible to diagnose a fault. I told the manager about my experience with Xbox a few years back when I got the rrod and how the error code and light sequence diagnosed what fault it was. He called me a liar and told me it was the same as the playstation; YLOD=non specific component failure. Anything inside could be at fault. Obviously not a diagnosis. I told them I'd fix it if they'd tell me what was wrong, and this I would have been happy with as a resolution. They wouldn't budge at all on anything - I had to pay them £110 or they didn't want to know. The last (absolute clown) manager said to me "if you bought a car and after 5 years it developed a fault, you'd expect to pay" to which I replied ; "if a car company sold you a new car and after 5 years it developed a fault, you took it to the garage but they refused to tell you what was wrong with it (to fix it yourself or take it somewhere) and wanted to charge you 85% cost of a new car to fix it, then they'd get shut down pretty quick". He didn't have a reply for that.
My point was - I have a ps3 and 360 side by side. 360 is gathering dust (let gold expire) as I use my ps3 for almost everything. Considering, the amount of money I have spent (and would spend) on playstation products and the fact that I could just turn on my Xbox and pay £30 for live, i just wanted some sort of compromise on the outrageous fee they charge as I was not prepared to pay it and I'd switch to Xbox as it was my cheapest option, costing them a lot more than £110. Didn't want to know. So; I thought what the hell, reflowed it myself (as this is the most common problem). Cost me £4 for some thermal paste and its working better and quieter than ever. It's back together now working and ill finish my FIFA games with friends before I stick all my playstation stuff on eBay. From now on I'll be using my Xbox. Part out of principle, part out of fear of YLOD relapse. I'm an early adopter and I can tell you this, I won't be buying any ps products again or recommend them to friends.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 65 (504 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'd have been happy with the option of buying brand new replacement parts directly from sony, particularly for consoles that had been discontinued - motherboards for the 60 gb launch model may have been in quite high demand, and would have been a much better option than a refurbished console with a poor warranty ...... presumably nominal production would have pushed the price right up though?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 65 (482 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Joeyjojojnr1 wrote:
It's an absolute disgrace. Here's my story (it's a long one sorry). I dunno why people are sticking up for Sony here. I don't want to go into too much detail of how businesses work, but generally when someone spends more money, they get preferential treatment. They are, after all a business and out to make money.

My background in gaming with playstation is PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita, PS Plus and thousands of pounds worth of games across all of those consoles. I literally couldn't buy anymore ps products as their simply aren't any.
Anyway, my PS3 shut down the other day half way through a game of FIFA (40gb model almost 5 yrs old) and developed the YLOD. I called Sony and spoke to a very nice chap who ran through my options (well, option). I could pay £110 and receive a refurbished console with a 90 warranty. Because the 40gb is an old model they would replace it with a slim (1st version) as they don't have many 40gb's hanging around and I would get it back within 7 working days. I thanked the guy for his info but explained to him that I felt the fee was too high for this 'service' as I could buy a brand new (2nd version slim) for around £130-140 if I'd had more money than sense. He said he could escalate to his manager and I would get a callback within an hour. I thanked him and waited for the callback.
About the same time the next day, almost exactly 24 hours later I got a callback from a manager who basically spoke to me like sh*t. Wouldn't answer any of my questions (the old politician responses) in an obvious attempt to avoid liability. Anyway, he just kept repeating the same rubbish, so I asked for further escalation. The manager refused at first but eventually agreed and advised I'd get a callback the next day from head office. As promised I got the call, this guy also spoke to me like he'd just scraped me off of his shoe and went on as if I was asking for a brand new PS4. I explained to him the situation but still no joy. And people wonder why Sony are losing billions. This manager refused to escalate any further after I informed him I still wasn't happy.

In Summary;
I was basically looking for a more reasonable price of repair. The last manager (head office) I spoke to lied through his teeth. Claimed he was meeting me halfway by providing a slim(!) and told me that Sony subsidise the cost of repair! If they pay anywhere near £110 to refurb these consoles in their own factories then someone seriously needs speaking to.
What i was most annoyed with was the fact that it is impossible to diagnose a fault. I told the manager about my experience with Xbox a few years back when I got the rrod and how the error code and light sequence diagnosed what fault it was. He called me a liar and told me it was the same as the playstation; YLOD=non specific component failure. Anything inside could be at fault. Obviously not a diagnosis. I told them I'd fix it if they'd tell me what was wrong, and this I would have been happy with as a resolution. They wouldn't budge at all on anything - I had to pay them £110 or they didn't want to know. The last (absolute clown) manager said to me "if you bought a car and after 5 years it developed a fault, you'd expect to pay" to which I replied ; "if a car company sold you a new car and after 5 years it developed a fault, you took it to the garage but they refused to tell you what was wrong with it (to fix it yourself or take it somewhere) and wanted to charge you 85% cost of a new car to fix it, then they'd get shut down pretty quick". He didn't have a reply for that.
My point was - I have a ps3 and 360 side by side. 360 is gathering dust (let gold expire) as I use my ps3 for almost everything. Considering, the amount of money I have spent (and would spend) on playstation products and the fact that I could just turn on my Xbox and pay £30 for live, i just wanted some sort of compromise on the outrageous fee they charge as I was not prepared to pay it and I'd switch to Xbox as it was my cheapest option, costing them a lot more than £110. Didn't want to know. So; I thought what the hell, reflowed it myself (as this is the most common problem). Cost me £4 for some thermal paste and its working better and quieter than ever. It's back together now working and ill finish my FIFA games with friends before I stick all my playstation stuff on eBay. From now on I'll be using my Xbox. Part out of principle, part out of fear of YLOD relapse. I'm an early adopter and I can tell you this, I won't be buying any ps products again or recommend them to friends.

Well considering they were going to upgrade you to a new model personally i think your the one who needs to take a look at your own attitude.

What do you think you should get special reduced price just because you have owned other Sony consoles.

So have other people but they don't whine they get on with things by either paying for an exchange or buying a new console.

And as you have had 5 years use out of your ps3 i'd say you got more than your monies worth.

Also reflowing is only a temporary fix good look with when it dies on you again in a week or 2 or you might be lucky & it will last a bit longer.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 65 (465 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I think,like me,he doesn't feel a sense of entitlement but feels a sense of expectation that Sony will be understanding to people's needs who have been loyal customers. I think his attitude is fine-he's upset his console has broken. Would an attitude of gratitude for 5years life really be expected for a console that has consistently not lasted a generation for people be more suitable?i really don't think so. I don't get people who can't relate to people's frustration when they have paid for something that is unreliable.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 65 (451 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 65 (438 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

kellinho wrote:
I think,like me,he doesn't feel a sense of entitlement but feels a sense of expectation that Sony will be understanding to people's needs who have been loyal customers. I think his attitude is fine-he's upset his console has broken. Would an attitude of gratitude for 5years life really be expected for a console that has consistently not lasted a generation for people be more suitable?i really don't think so. I don't get people who can't relate to people's frustration when they have paid for something that is unreliable.

But how do Sony know people are loyal customers?

Unless you specifically buy your stuff from Sony stores, there is no way of knowing.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 65 (428 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't say I got my monies worth either and they didn't offer me a new model. It was a second model (we're now on the 3rd) because they didn't have the 40gb model. The replacement would have been 120gb, so was actually inferior to the one I have as that model has less features and I already upgraded to 320gb. I paid nearly £600 for my ps3 when it came out and I didn't really use it for the first 2 yrs until my friends got ps3's. Until then i'd been using my 360. Even so, I wouldn't say that you should expect a high end level of electronics from one of the worlds biggest companies to fail that easily. Especially when it's obviously a design flaw.
Also I don't want to sound ars*y or anything, but in the real world people who spend more money usually do get preferential treatment. They are a business and businesses usually like to look after customers who spend lots of money. Try it. If y have everything with, say Sky for example (bb, phone, tv) they will bend over backwards to keep you as a customer and they will discount new things like equi and services. If you spend a lot on your mobile, they will give you more discounts than someone who doesn't.
In my opinion, I wasn't being unreasonable. I would have accepted a simple fault diagnosis (this annoyed me the most) or half price fix to make the fee more realistic. I mean who in there right mind is going to pay £110 for a second hand old model with a 90 warranty over a brand new one?
What I was most annoyed about was the actual service. Apart from the first guy I spoke to, they all had very poor attitudes, didn't want to know and found it very inconvenient to speak to me. Very in contrast to the 2 times I phoned Xbox with problems.
Also, I don't expect the reflow to last although I think I've done it correctly as I've left it on running a disc pretty much all day yesterday and it stayed cool and silent.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 65 (427 Views)
0 Kudos