PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

Level 7

Re: »» Speed over Capacity ? ««

I want options and I want a dual HDD console.

I want a minimum 120gb SSD which will hold OS files and/or games of my choosing.

I want a 1 TB 7200 or 10000 rpm to be the base user drive housing games, videos etc....

I also want the option to 'archive' game installs/packages to an external HDD. Sony can use whatever draconian encryption they want to make this possible.  Regardless of internet speeds increasing, some of us are still stuck on slow infrastructure.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 15 (187 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

[ Edited ]

one thing you guys forget about the SDD HD... its noiseless and dont give out heat like the old hardrives.. and the 120gb SSD dont cost much anymore. in two years when the new ps4 arrive you will get bigger and cheaper SDD disks.. so i hope sony goes for the SDD HD.

----
My PS3 career don't end in November 2013... Trey for life!
----
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 15 (175 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

[ Edited ]

SSD are alot more portable friendly all ready, they are incased in plastic and don't expose electronics to the User unlike current sata hdd that need HDD tray for every drive in use. 

Sandisk Sonys choice for official third party stuff allready do that 120GB SDD for £60 to domestic market so it would be stupidly cheap for commercial bulk order...

They realy are just a Big memory card with a Sata 3 connection.

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 15 (165 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

It seem capacity is the main importance to most at the moment. 

I personally was thinking SSD would be the better choice, but maybe that's just me wanting the latest and greatest all the time.

I guess Sony would have to prioritise size over speed if the PS4 is backwards compatible with PS3 content.

I like the idea of duel hard drive bays, but I don't think this would happen just because of the amount of physical space two hard drives would take up (of course this would give Sony the chance to release a slim(er) PS4 when 512GB or larger SSD prices come down and it could have just the one hard drive in it).

I personally think if Sony plan on using any of the benefits from SSDs it will have 8 or 16GB built in for the OS and apps and still have a normal HDD bay for mass content and media storage.

Or maybe Sony will come out with their own proprietary HHD (hybrid hard drive) (we all know how much Sony love proprietary hardware :Frown: ).

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 15 (143 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Dual HDD don't take up bugger all space. 

Portable USB 2 enclosed HDD fit in your jeans back pocket.

Sony put in Memory card readers and extra Usb ports before that took up loads of Space.

Now thats gone. the launch model has loads more room.  

Heat build up is the actual problem with dual bay, for example when next to each other, They will cook each other and near by electronics. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 15 (136 Views)
0 Kudos