09 Feb 2010
Playstation Staff

Taking the PS3 cover off

15 Replies 6,909 Views Created 09-02-2010

My Ps3 has died and COD MW2 is stuck inside, I have got in contact with C.S and told them about repairing the ps3.

Anyway repairing the Ps3 with cost a lot more then i though, so i'm just going to be buy a slim so i want to know how to get dice out of the dive? This means taken the cover off.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (6,909 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Taking the PS3 cover off

Is it a 60GB PS3?

Otherwise I think you could just do the 40/80..GB 'fan test' and get the disc out that way.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (6,905 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

It is a 60GB

And All them tricks don't work, I tried all that with the Support Staff.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (6,893 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Yeh, the force eject/fan test only works on the 40GB and such.

Maybe something like this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrdAH1mfpQ0

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (6,889 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Why don't you attempt to fix it first if your just going to take apart the Blu-Ray drive instead?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (6,872 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

its easy.

peel of the useless warrenty sticker and curse sony for thier poor manufacturing.

undo the bolt behind it. slide the playstation 3 logo cover off sideways, undo about 8 screws visiable in the lid with a phillips driver.

then you can see the blue ray drive, gently pull the  ribbon cables out and use precision drivers to undo the metal cover. hey presto. i reckon it takes 10 mins tops.

then launch your ps3 across the patio like i did and go and give sony more money for a ***** slim.

ta da.

no, im not bitter. much.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (6,861 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

take of the casing and take apart blue ray drive casing and youl get your game, i just did it with mine after getting ylod, blu ray drive casings only fiiddly bit just need to remember where everything goes or watch a youtube video of it
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (6,800 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I fixed my YLOD. 'Twas quite easy. Got all my data back. Worked for a couple of months at a guess, then went again... after a week where it was barely switched off (thanks, Borderlands...) fixed it again though. I did the heat gun trick. Thermal paste on the chips cost me £3. People are too quick to chuck away their old PS3s... you CAN get them back to life pretty easily. If only, at the very least, to transfer or back-up your old data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (6,779 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I did the YLOD fix with my hot air paint stripper gun last summer, my fix with arctic thermal paste etc took a couple of hours but only lasted 2 weeks - the next time YLOD I had all my copyable saves on my SD card and so let my beloved original 60gb be replaced under Cont Play..... I don't know what the record is for the heat reflow fix but most don't seem to last that long.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (6,750 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

comfort-comes wrote:

its easy.

peel of the useless warrenty sticker and curse sony for thier poor manufacturing.

undo the bolt behind it. slide the playstation 3 logo cover off sideways, undo about 8 screws visiable in the lid with a phillips driver.

then you can see the blue ray drive, gently pull the  ribbon cables out and use precision drivers to undo the metal cover. hey presto. i reckon it takes 10 mins tops.

then launch your ps3 across the patio like i did and go and give sony more money for a ***** slim.

ta da.

no, im not bitter. much.

Well i would stop right there! Why not carry on taking the PS3 appart and check to see if it was caused by the thermal paste drying out. Apply some new pase then trade it in for a slim, sell it on ebay on or keep it?

It will cost a few pound to fix and he could easily get £100 on ebay. Hell they can fetch £40 - £80 not working and you want to launch that :Confused:

Mines just YLoD and i'm fixing it myself for the prce of a tube of thermal paste from Amazon :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (6,730 Views)
0 Kudos