Playstation Staff

Re: The Unofficial PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade Thread

Hello,

I was wondering if i can remove the hard drive from my WD My Book Mac edition 1TB external hard drive (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=250) and swap it with my ps3 40 gb hard drive? is it possible to do so??????????? if it isnt then how come???

THANK YOU!!!!

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 581 of 659 (1,057 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

That link is useless. It doesn't tell us anything about the specifications of the drive (not the external housing, or the USB2 link, but the physical harddrive inside all the plastic) itself, so we can't tell if it will be usable in a PS3 or not. If it is a standard notebook-sized (2.5") SATA harddrive, 9.5mm thick (or less), it should work.

Take note, however, that larger capacity 2.5" drives (bigger than 750GB) tend to be thicker than 9.5mm. Since that is a 1TB drive, I suspect it is either one of the thicker notebook drives, or a 3.5" mechanism which definitely will not fit in the PS3.
0 Kudos
Message 582 of 659 (1,049 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I know this is not a hard drive question, does anyone know what bluray drive i need for my 40gb cechg02?

0 Kudos
Message 583 of 659 (952 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Dear lord this thread has gotten long since I last checked it, and it's been even longer since I swapped a HDD in my original 60GB, so just to make sure I know what I need that's changed:

when I turn it on I need a USB with the latest FW already plugged in with the update in a folder called "PS3" is that it or has something else changed too?
Walking Under Stars
0 Kudos
Message 584 of 659 (808 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

it should be X:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP where X is the drive letter for your USB thumb drive.

I'm so glad I stopped using Windows back in 1999 and don't have to use silly drive letters or backslashes any more.
Message 585 of 659 (795 Views)
Level 5

Playstation Staff

you only stopped in 1999, I don't mean to sound like a hipster but I gave up windows by '95 (if not earlier) but then I had to use windows at school, and now I have a Win gaming PC but I spend 99% of my time on my mac, can't stand the PC tbh

but thanks for the folder hieracey (spelling?) I hate to risk bricking the thing just 'cause I put the update in the wrong place 'cause the new PS3's don't have BC, but more importantly, they don't play SACD's
Walking Under Stars
0 Kudos
Message 586 of 659 (790 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Ah, Macs... the ones that use colons as directory separators. That's just as backward as a backslash, IMHO. :smileyvery-happy:

Linux FTW!
0 Kudos
Message 587 of 659 (786 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

lol, I should have known you were a linux guy, I ran a linux virtual machine on my mac for a while and I loved but but I had no real use for it
Walking Under Stars
Message 588 of 659 (784 Views)

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

After upgrading my 250GB slim to 650GB, I have found out due to one of my USB ports breaking that I am going to have to put the original hard drive into place before sending it off, now the question I have, could I just put the original hard drive in, then when I get the console back put in my 650GB and everything should still be there as if it never left, or would the console just want to format the hard drive again?

Also whats the best way to backup save data (just in case)? External HDD? or USB Thumb Drive.

Edit I know the obvious answer is external HDD, but I don't really want to fork out for one if a USB drive will do, I just want to know your opinions.

0 Kudos
Message 589 of 659 (684 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Saved game data isn't that big, so a USB thumb drive will do. If you want to back up more than just your saves, then you will probably need an external drive.
Message 590 of 659 (678 Views)