PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

Level 4

Re: The Unofficial PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade Thread

DukeDudeston wrote:

After upgrading my 250GB slim to 650GB, I have found out due to one of my USB ports breaking that I am going to have to put the original hard drive into place before sending it off, now the question I have, could I just put the original hard drive in, then when I get the console back put in my 650GB and everything should still be there as if it never left, or would the console just want to format the hard drive again?

Also whats the best way to backup save data (just in case)? External HDD? or USB Thumb Drive.

Edit I know the obvious answer is external HDD, but I don't really want to fork out for one if a USB drive will do, I just want to know your opinions.

When you get the console back it will format the 650GB HDD, so best to back it up before sending it in.

As mentioned, you can backup the saved files to a USB but to do a full backup you would need an external HDD.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 591 of 636 (1,157 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks to both, just as I figured, don't really want to loose all my save data, PlayStation Plus save storage is a joke. lol

Fingers crossed I won't be too long without a PS3

Please use plain text.
Message 592 of 636 (1,146 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hi all

I have a question, once the back up has been done and you install the new hard drive and you restore the back up after formatting etc, should the games that i already had on there be there or do I need to download them all again?

Please use plain text.
Message 593 of 636 (635 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi a_Berserker,

If you backup and restore to the same PS3, you will be able to recover your games even the copy protected ones.

If you backup and restore to a different ps3 unit, you will lose the copy protected games which means that you would need to re-download them.

Please use plain text.
Message 594 of 636 (629 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

hi

thanks, it is to the same ps3 however it did advise that there was an error so im wondering if i have done something wrong..

would there be any harm in re-doing it again do you think...... i have only played one game since and will copy over the game save so it can be loaded in afterwards

Please use plain text.
Message 595 of 636 (616 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Hey a_Berserker,

There should be no issues trying to restore the backup a second time.

When it failed did you receive any error messages?

Let us know how you go.

Please use plain text.
Message 596 of 636 (607 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

yeah i remember seeing an error message but it didnt really explain what it was

Should i create a new user when transferring everything over (I didnt but named it as myself)

I suppose I could re-do it and make sure i back up my game save before doing so, just in case

Please use plain text.
Message 597 of 636 (583 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

right, tried the back up restore again and the error said something along the lines of it didnt work, cant realy remember now

everything else is fine, looks like ill just have to wait for my data to renew for the month and start downloading my games again

At least now i have 1TB to fill up :Wink:

Please use plain text.
Message 598 of 636 (566 Views)
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello, i have a question abou the new 'SuperSlim' ps3's, i have been looking online quite a bit and am getting frustrated because i cant find definitive answers.

I want to know can the newer slims be upgraded with say, a 750gb-1TB hard drive (of course making sure the drive actually fits). I have a phat and a slim, currently using the slim with a 500gb HDD i put in it, however i am running out of space and if i was to upgrade i thought i might get the newer super-slim while im at it.

i am aware the 12gb model and 500gb models are different, but nowhere can i find any official comments proving/disproving if you can change HDDs, they always refer to the 250gb sony add-on hard drive yet to be released. So...

-can i put a 1TB in the 12gb model, if i get a hard drive tray (because it does not have one i think?) ?.

-can i upgrade the 500gb model to a 1TB like how ive changed the phat/slim before?

thanks if anyone can help.

edit - and is it 7.5mm / 9.5mm / 12.5mm compatible, i would assume 12.5 is too thick but the old slims fit 9.5mm...

Please use plain text.
Message 599 of 636 (515 Views)
0 Kudos

-can i put a 1TB in the 12gb model, if i get a hard drive tray (because it does not have one i think?) ?.

-can i upgrade the 500gb model to a 1TB like how ive changed the phat/slim before?

Hi ezzdog,

You will be able to upgrade the 12GB Slim console, once the hard drive caddy is released. The 250GB hard drive caddy obviously has the drive included but there will also be a caddy only option, which will allow you to use any compatible 2.5" SATA drive.

Hope that helps.

- Lyth

Please use plain text.
Message 600 of 636 (512 Views)
0 Kudos