08 Dec 2009
By Roamcel
Playstation Staff

Using USB mouse and keyboard to play PS3 games

53 Replies 51,959 Views Created 08-12-2009

Hi all,

I looked around for a while, and noticed that only SOME games officially support mouse and keyboard for control (unreal tournament seemingly being the -only- one to completely do so) but that is honestly

absurd.

I like action games, and I hate for example that most of the time in killzone or similar FPSs the main problem is accuracy while aiming... OF COURSE you can play with the controller, but in all honesty

having to aim through the controller is ANNOYING

in comparison to doing it with a mouse and a keyboard.

Not to talk about the game experience itself, given that M & K are absolutely more intuitive and immediate when you already use a PC.

I hence ask: is there a "natural", official way to use mouse and keybard REGARDLESS of game support? I know that there are "adapters" for sale, but that's honestly a bit ridiculous (since you need a PC connected to make them work)

Just to be clear. I own more than 30 fps games for the PC, collected over the years, andI only own 3 for the PS3, even if I LOVE the console. Quite frankly, my WII is more suitable to play FPSs (my first game for the wii was red steel) with its native controller.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 54 (51,959 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: Using USB mouse and keyboard to play PS3 games

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 54 (51,940 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

i think the main reason its not widely supported IMO is it gives and unfair advantage to the mouse and keyboard users

if everyone has to use a control pad it keeps everyone on a level playing field 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just seen Mr T getting some petrol. I pity the Fuel.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 54 (51,922 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

i can beat anybody who uses mouse and keyboard with my trusted dual shock 3 any day, played against people in unreal and they used mouse and keyboard, yes they can turn quicker but you get better control with a ds3
To Infinity and Beyond
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 54 (51,898 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I'm really surprised Sony hasn't attempted to address this issue.

The answer may not be in adding full mouse, keyboard support but rather designing a new Dualshock style controller that replaces the right joystick with a trackball.

When I used to play in Unreal Tournament 99 competitions my mouse broke so I switched to a trackball and it's surprising how easily I adapted to it.

Not only would Sony make more sales from a new controller but also likely convert other console FPS gamers to switch consoles.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 54 (51,883 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Farscape247 wrote:
i can beat anybody who uses mouse and keyboard with my trusted dual shock 3 any day, played against people in unreal and they used mouse and keyboard, yes they can turn quicker but you get better control with a ds3

I know your referring to UT3 as it's 1)emulating mouse control via analogue driver so very sluggish 2) UT3 was designed to work with gamepads and is a lot slower even than the PC version and with much less movement options.

If you played UT99 or even UT2004 you wouldn't even get one frag as you need lightning fast reactions - it's called twitching
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 54 (51,876 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Betreff: Re: Using USB mouse and keyboard to play PS3 games

The_KELRaTH hat geschrieben:
I'm really surprised Sony hasn't attempted to address this issue.

The answer may not be in adding full mouse, keyboard support but rather designing a new Dualshock style controller that replaces the right joystick with a trackball.

When I used to play in Unreal Tournament 99 competitions my mouse broke so I switched to a trackball and it's surprising how easily I adapted to it.

Not only would Sony make more sales from a new controller but also likely convert other console FPS gamers to switch consoles.

I am not surprised as I seriously doubt that anybody at Sony is a serious gamer, so they would not notice anyway.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 54 (51,861 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

ChambyR33 wrote:

i think the main reason its not widely supported IMO is it gives and unfair advantage to the mouse and keyboard users

Except that lots of people use a FragFX or similar, so the argument of keeping things on a level playing field is moot.

To the OP, there's not really a good option out there. The hybrid mouse controllers work to some extent, but it's still vastly inferior to playing it on the PC with proper M+K support, although better than the horror of having to use a silly control pad to play an FPS.

My advise is just stay clear of FPS games on the consoles.

PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 54 (51,863 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Rif.: Re: Using USB mouse and keyboard to play PS3 games

DrTrouserPlank ha scritto:

ChambyR33 wrote:

Except that lots of people use a FragFX or similar, so the argument of keeping things on a level playing field is moot.

To the OP, there's not really a good option out there. The hybrid mouse controllers work to some extent, but it's still vastly inferior to playing it on the PC with proper M+K support, although better than the horror of having to use a silly control pad to play an FPS.

My advise is just stay clear of FPS games on the consoles.

This looks horribly like the soundest possible suggestion.

It is total wank though, as I actually love playing with the PS3, especially shooting games (heck even the "call of juares" demo looked great but wasn't really enjoyable because of the controls).

That curious contraption there, the mouse + half controller thing, looks pretty neat and well done, but it's still a long shot from what I'm used to with my PC.

All in all I will have to stay clear from "uncharted 2" and "MGS4" because of the controls, since for people like me that are used to a simple "action - reaction" response from PC games, having to fight against your controller for accurate aiming is REALLY annoying and frustrating.

I only brought myself to play GTA4 to the very end, despite the controls, but only because it's the absolutely best done game I've ever played on all systems, and features auto aim EVEN on multiplayer. Talk about even field, shesh.

Oh and furthermore, there's no way in hell that ANYBODY could beat one good M+K player like me whilst using their joysticks or joypads, even at driving or flying games.

So M+K

IS the way to go to reach out to wider public.

As of now, my PS3 is mostly a media+blu ray station,

rather than the powerful playing platform that it could be,

despite the INCREDIBLE availability of AWESOME games that I'll never play

because of the controls.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 54 (51,850 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I agree in another post i suggested replacing the right joystick with a tracker ball..

I wouldnt worry too much about it at the moment tho with the introduction of the wand, we may find a more ingenious way t play fps by pointing a gun at the screen..

I dont know what best option is but PC is still much better for fps with keyb and mouse..

"Play you like a violin, I did."
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 54 (51,851 Views)
0 Kudos