PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

02 May 2009
By: xoktu180 Member 1293 Posts
Level 3

What does PS upscaler & smoothing do?

9 Replies 7895 Views Created 02-05-2009

Erm, yeah. What do these two actually do? Keeping in mind I'm using a standard T.V. I heard they can improve framerate on certain games but that might just be rubbish.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (7,895 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: What does PS upscaler & smoothing do?

It's basically for people with HDTV's. It will upscale a PS1/PS2 game or SD (Standard Defintion) movie/programme to make it look better as a SD signal looks worse on a HDTV due to the amount of pixels that have to be filled. It would look more blurry without upscaling.

Smoothing helps make PS1/PS2 games look a bit better by reducing the jagged edges of graphics.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (7,870 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I see. So it really has no use for a normal T.V then? Would anything happen if I used it?

Still, I guess they are useful...

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (7,856 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

All it does is stretches the picture, no AA at all. It does a poor job of 'upscaling' really.

Photobucket
PS3 #1 06/07/07-22/12/08 PS3 #2 02/01/09-19/09/09 PS3 #3 27/10/09 - 22/11/09 PS3#4 14/12/09-11/10/13 (Revived 01/11/13)

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (7,799 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

[ Edited ]

You yourself are using an SD tv which uses the same resolutions of the tvs when the games in question were released,

so ask yourself the question, do you think you need the upscaler ?

In short, no, I doubt there will be any differences for you if you turn on the upscaler because there is nothing to upscale to, the resolution of your tv is the same as the resolution of the tv's for which the games were developed years ago.

The smoother however, might show some differences in the jagged edge department, but really, just try it yourself :smileywink: 

Bericht bewerkt door luckymouse op 02-05-2009 02:19 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (7,761 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Upscales and smoothes.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (7,752 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Smoothing is personal preference. You can either take the heavily aliased look of the ps1 games, but a sharper image. Or go for the "smoothed" look, which really doesn't do a lot more than blur the image, creating an illusion of less aliasing.
PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (7,753 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

As far as i'm aware the Smoothing makes a very slight difference on Sd,, just a light blurring on jagged edges, But it's really not worth writing home about.

On HD it's much more noticable, But still, they look like PSone games, dont expect anything great.

The upscaler is more for Hi-0def viewers as it will give a finer deffinition between vibrant colors giving a clear image, This works well on Play TV for me,

But It's a Ps3 with fantastic games in 1080p, So I can honestly Say I'e never even put a Psone game in it;

EurGame.com / Gameseek.co.uk
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (7,728 Views)
0 Kudos

hey, i used this upscales thing, and unfortunetly my ps3 seems not to react the fact that i have expeled the ps1 game, and it still in this size, so basically my ps3 shows a bigger image than the tv, how can i fix it, i've sear erverywhere and could not find an answer please help, sorry for the lenguage i'm spanish :c

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (4,382 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

koolkid201 wrote:
All it does is stretches the picture, no AA at all. It does a poor job of 'upscaling' really.

Yep, I think it make PS1 games look worse.

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (4,357 Views)
0 Kudos