PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

Re: What is a DNS error? And how do i fix it?

Guys,

I'm new here so please be gentle.

I also have a netgear router via sky Broadband, and I tell you it is a pig to get the settings right.

Can somebody please give an indication on what settings should go where. It is quite obvious that it doesn't like auto setting but I can't see which figures go where in relation to the routers dashboard.

It has even made my router go slow generally on PC connection.

Any answers would be great.

Many thanks

Hallsey.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 26 (5,501 Views)
0 Kudos

even when there is 100% it dosent work! if we put the key in, theres no ip address being obtained, if we skip that, then the ip registers but no internet connection can be made and hence the dns thread, there is a dns error... :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 26 (5,501 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Guys,

I'm new here so please be gentle.

I also have a netgear router via sky Broadband, and I tell you it is a pig to get the settings right.

Can somebody please give an indication on what settings should go where. It is quite obvious that it doesn't like auto setting but I can't see which figures go where in relation to the routers dashboard.

It has even made my router go slow generally on PC connection.

Any answers would be great.

Many thanks

Hallsey.

The Netgear is the easiest router to setup up, you basically run the initial wizard and then turn on DHCP and that is it, your good to go. If you want to enable wireless you just turn that on, choose WPA and a key for WPA and thats that. I would setup an access list for wireless and add the MAC addressess of all your wireless devices and then everything is sorted.
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 26 (5,501 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

even when there is 100% it dosent work! if we put the key in, theres no ip address being obtained, if we skip that, then the ip registers but no internet connection can be made and hence the dns thread, there is a dns error... :smileysad:

If the PS3 is not getting an IP address automatically then you need to turn on DHCP, if that is already on make sure there are enough free addressess for it to assign out, make sure that the free addresses are not being reserved. If you are not using DHCP you will have to manually set the IP address, Gateway Address and DNS address on the PS3, the Gateway and DNS IP address will be that of the router, and the IP address will be in the subnet range of the router. (if the router's LAN address is 192.168.0.1 subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you can choose an address of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254)

Here is an example of the LAN Setup on the Netgear:-

LAN IP Setup

LAN TCP/IP Setup

IP Address ... 192.168.0.1
IP Subnet Mask ... 255.255.255.0
RIP Direction None
RIP Version RIP-1

Use Router as DHCP Server (ticked)
Starting IP Address ... 192.168.0.2
Ending IP Address ... 192.168.0.254

Just read your last post, if the PS3 is connecting via wireless and its not getting a IP address, are you sure that the wireless setting are all correct, does is show the PS3 as an Attached Device on the Netgear router?
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 26 (5,501 Views)
0 Kudos

hey guys i also have a similare problem, however i have a wired connection, now i was with linksis but it tyook for even and eventually broke (it was s**t anyway) and now i have gone wired witha net gear FS105 fast ethenet switch.

now i can get the ip adress as the success but the internet connection failed, i have tried entering all sorts of different things for it with the ip adress, default server, primary and secondary router etc. however it gets the same result, now with the linksis router i had to go on some internet site to sort this but with net ger i cant find one, as you guessed i have the ps3 and my pc linked up as it works fine with the pc. i have also had problems understanding the DHCP thing as when i tried going to that it requires a name for it which i have gotten lost (im not that good at this), any help?

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 26 (71 Views)
0 Kudos

i dont suppose when you got past this point the PSN would fail in status test? that is what mine is doing an i use to have 2 computers, 2 phones and my PS3 all wireless an conected working together, now i can only connect to PSN when computer is turned off, any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 26 (44 Views)
0 Kudos