10 Nov 2008
Playstation Staff

Why does the PS3 download so slow?

233 Replies 36,583 Views Created 10-11-2008

I am now getting sick and tired of how long it takes the PS3 to download trailers, game demos etc but most of all why it takes so long to download the System update.

On Friday I booted it up along with my 360 to see what there was to download, they are both connected via wireless and sit right next to each other so the exact same distance from my BT Home Hub.

The PS3 said it needed to download System update so I set it on it's way and moved onto the 360. I downloaded 5 game trailers each between 70MB and 230MB and then downloaded the demo for nuts and bolts which I think was just over 1GB.

When the nuts and bolts was the only thing left to download I moved back over to the PS3 and it was at 43%........*****???

I used my laptop, again over wireless and went onto the PS website to see how big the update file is, it was 137MB, I started to download from my laptop and it was downloading at 300k per second and estimated a few minutes.

So I ask why does the PS3 take so long to download what two other devices seem to sail thru?

Does anyone else encounter slow PS3 downloading?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 234 (36,583 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Why does the PS3 download so slow?

Ive never had a problem a 1giga byte demo takes 15-20mins.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 234 (36,507 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

maxi_glasgow wrote:

I am now getting sick and tired of how long it takes the PS3 to download trailers, game demos etc but most of all why it takes so long to download the System update.

On Friday I booted it up along with my 360 to see what there was to download, they are both connected via wireless and sit right next to each other so the exact same distance from my BT Home Hub.

The PS3 said it needed to download System update so I set it on it's way and moved onto the 360. I downloaded 5 game trailers each between 70MB and 230MB and then downloaded the demo for nuts and bolts which I think was just over 1GB.

When the nuts and bolts was the only thing left to download I moved back over to the PS3 and it was at 43%........*****???

I used my laptop, again over wireless and went onto the PS website to see how big the update file is, it was 137MB, I started to download from my laptop and it was downloading at 300k per second and estimated a few minutes.

So I ask why does the PS3 take so long to download what two other devices seem to sail thru?

Does anyone else encounter slow PS3 downloading?

i found this with the latest update.... took ages so stopped it and sownloaded it on my PC took 10mins compared to 20 ish on 50%

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 234 (36,506 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

afternoon all i've never had a problem downloading seems pretty fast here took mear mins to download latest update
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 234 (36,496 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Roxas598 wrote:
afternoon all i've never had a problem downloading seems pretty fast here took mear mins to download latest update

Hey

spose it depends on the Area really?

Off topic you get your Touch?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 234 (36,489 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

baldry1991 wrote:

Roxas598 wrote:

Hey

nope i think its coming tomorrow but i'm workin the marra mornin :smileysad:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 234 (36,465 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Roxas598 wrote:

baldry1991 wrote:

Roxas598 wrote:

Hey

nope i think its coming tomorrow but i'm workin the marra mornin :smileysad:

:Lol:
is it recorded?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 234 (36,457 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

on wireless yur max 54mbps which is already made yur connection slower

Modem speeds are done by 2 things, modems and config files to that modem thats it!

I see on other sites people crying they are only getting 2 maybe 3 mb`s of speed, they dont tell you that they are on wireless and at max is 54mbps which it terms people here may understand is a MAX of 5mbs over wireless. Wireless B and G is still 54 unless you move up to N.

If You get a 10Mb connection... (10 Megabits)

Your download speed is in Bytes, Kilo Bytes and MegaBytes.

10 Megabits roughly equates to about 1.3MB per second (if at full speed)

So your max speed at wireless is about 5mb.,, so... its yur network/connection not the "ps3"
symonator.net

My Youtube:: 1080p Gaming
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 234 (36,450 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

yup i have the same problem, takes about an hour to DL updates, game demo's i dont evon bother with anymore bioshock took nearly 4hrs!! ive got good fast broadband awell with no worrys
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 234 (36,443 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

XEboi wrote:
yup i have the same problem, takes about an hour to DL updates, game demo's i dont evon bother with anymore bioshock took nearly 4hrs!! ive got good fast broadband awell with no worrys

u may have 100mb for all we know but it wil only be 5mb over wireless lol.
symonator.net

My Youtube:: 1080p Gaming
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 234 (36,435 Views)
0 Kudos