24 Jun 2011
Playstation Staff

YLOD

9 Replies 376 Views Created 24-06-2011
Hi folks I wad hoping you could give me a bit of help... I've never had any bother with my PS3 and I updated the software yesterday and today I sat down to play for a bit and five minutes into a game the dreaded YLOD came up... Is it just a coincidence or could the update have done something? Also looking for a bit of advice on what to do... When I put it on the green light comes on then beeps and then the yellow light then flashing red.

Any help is much appreciated... Obviously I've seen te hairdryer solution bit does it actually work... The console is an old school 40gb number.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10 (376 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: YLOD

If there was a problem with the firmware everyone would be getting bricked PS3.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10 (369 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

That's what I assumed but I thought I'd ask the question anyway cos it might be specific to the model or something
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10 (363 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

tiny_nic wrote:
That's what I assumed but I thought I'd ask the question anyway cos it might be specific to the model or something

I have the update running on my 320GB slim and all is fine and my brother in law is running the update fine on his 80GB phat

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10 (359 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I updated last night and was playing Assassins Creed: Brotherhood last night for a few hours then watched some Netflix.  This morning I DLed the new Sonic demo from the Store and played though it a few times and everything was good.  Then about an 2 hours ago, I got hit with the YLoD.

Took the hard drive out and dusted the eff out of it.  Popped the HD back in and it fired up for about 5 minutes, then YLoD me again.  Hasn't been able to start up since. Had it since Jan. 07.

Totally bummed.  It was a 1st gen 60GB model.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10 (333 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

so is the ylod a hard drive issue? or something else? if I got a new hard drive and put it in there would that fix it?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10 (250 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Hi tiny_nic!

First and foremost, the hairdryer trick does work.... but only for about 10 minutes and then it dies again.
I also would not advise taking it to one of these third party places that fix YLODs - I took mine to such a place and thought for £50 it was a bargain to get my beloved PS3 working again, only for it to die again soon after. It had a 3 month warranty, and I think I got it fixed twice more within that time, and then it died again shortly after, £50 wasted.

It's much better just to invest in a new system, I know its expensive but that way you have the peace of mind in knowing that you have the warranty there and so far *touch wood* there's been no issues with the majority of PS3 Slims.

It's purely a coincidence that the YLOD happened after FW - as FooFan73 said , if it was a FW issue then many more PS3s would have gone down at the same time. Is there a game stuck in your machine? On the 40gbs I seem to remember a force eject feature, but if not its easy to retrieve the disc by taking off the casing of the console and the bluray drive casing and simply popping the disc out .

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and you have my sympathy, I think I'm on PS3 #5 and have always kept them in well ventilated places. Luck of the draw!

Edit: jday - The YLOD issue is when the solder between the heatsink and the CPU/GPU is melted and solidified again due to console heat, and when it solidifies there can be a hairline crack in it, meaning not a true connection between the two resulting in excess heat build up - which ultimately means its hotter inside so it can't work as it should.

JOIN THE REVOLUCION
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10 (238 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

No. It won't. YLoD is a CPU, GPU and motherboard issue.

My PSN Profile

All blank friend requests will be refused.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10 (238 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

To the OP

where did you get it from?

Have you got proof of purchase?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10 (220 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I had YLOD last week. I fixed it myself, not by doing the hairdry technique but i used to reflow method. It does work, but the PS3 will eventually get YLOD again. The best thing to do is to buy a new ps3 or you will keep getting YLODs.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10 (178 Views)
0 Kudos