03 Aug 2011
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Yellow light of Death -_-

7 Replies 781 Views Created 03-08-2011

Hey Guys,

If anyone could help me that would be great, I know theres probably a few post about the yellow light....anyway....does anyone know how much it will cost for Sony to fix the console (AUD$) and if there is postage involved? My PS3 died from this back in April :smileysad: havent had the money or time to get it fixed, till now and I've been dying to play my games and new releases since then :smileysad:

Another thing, do I lose all my gamedata too? I hope not, I've got about 200+ hours built onto my Oblivion save file and heaps of hours on Fallout 3.

I had real bad luck in April.....don't hate me for this (lol) but one week before my PS3 died my x360 died from the rings of death -_- damn stupid thing. I only play left 4 dead, mass effect and gears on there so I wasn't too heartbroken when that died but still, just my luck lol.

thanks guys and sorry for the rambling!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (781 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: Yellow light of Death -_-

Hey Phoenix1317,

Sorry to hear that you are having this issue, the best idea would be to give us a call at the support centre. If the console is an Australia / NZ model the OOW cost is $250, this fee includes all P&H, parts & labor.

Unfortunately if the console is sent through to us we do format the PlayStation HDD.

Our contact number here is 1300 365 911 & we are open from 8am - 8pm AEST Mon - Fri & on Saturday 10am - 6pm

Regards

Pretoria

Pretoria Sig
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (778 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks a lot Pretoria.

Would that also mean, once you format the hdd, if i put another hdd, with gamedata on it, will that be reformatted too once I get the console back? Coz I've got a 350gb hdd that I've got all my gamedata on just in case the 40gb failed and to save room.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (772 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Phoenix1317 wrote:

Thanks a lot Pretoria.

Would that also mean, once you format the hdd, if i put another hdd, with gamedata on it, will that be reformatted too once I get the console back? Coz I've got a 350gb hdd that I've got all my gamedata on just in case the 40gb failed and to save room.

Thanks again.

Np's

A HDD is locked to a console, so if any HDD is put into a different console the first thing the console will do is ask to format the HDD. 

Sorry to hear about the Oblivion savedata, I know that must be frustrating.  

Pretoria Sig
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (764 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

:smileyhappy:

well both hdds are from the same console, so i'm crossing fingers that when I send my console to Sony with the 40gb, i dont mind that that hdd gets formatted, I'm just worried that if the 40gb gets formatted, will my console still recognise the 350gb afterwards and not formatted?

sorry for being a pain

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (761 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Once you remove a HD from the PS3 and replace it with another, even if it is the original, once put back into the PS3 it is treated as a brand new HD by the console and will still require to be reformatted.

So if you send it to Sony your other HD won't be able to be read, period.

Sony ALWAYS wipe and reformat the HD on any PS3 that arrives at their service centres as a security measure.

Your only way to solve your problem is to find another independent console repair shop that will fix the YLOD without wiping or reformatting your HD.

There are plenty around that will do this, just Google for your area.

If your PS3 is out of warranty you will find this a far cheaper option anyway, as none of the independents charge as much as Sony does, and they won't take a month or more to do it either.

If your console was still under warranty, then use the Sony service, but be prepared to have all your HD's made unreadable by your console.

If it's out of warranty go better off going elsewhere IMHO.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (758 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I sent mine to o 3rd party repairer, they sent it back saying it couldn't be repaired. It's been in the garage for the last 12 months. I stumbled across a vid of a guy fixing a YLOD PS3 with a box and a hairdryer, I figured 'what the hell'. I didn't have a box so used a towel and it actually worked. I was able to update, deactivate all of the accounts on it, grab some game saves and perform a full system format, and its still going.

Don't know how long it will last, but is an option if you just want to get it going long enough to transfer data to a new PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUaCoimoKTk&feature=player_embedded
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (677 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have seen videos like that too, but I am not sure if I would trust it.

Couldn't you just purchase a new hard drive to replace it?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (234 Views)
0 Kudos