28 Apr 2009
Playstation Staff

connecting ps3 to laptop via wifi?

10 Replies 28,686 Views Created 28-04-2009
hey everyone can i connect my ps3 to my laptop via wifi? or the only way by ethernet do i need a crossover or just normal ethernet cord?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (28,686 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: connecting ps3 to laptop via wifi?

Not too sure what you're trying to do. Do you mean you want to stream media from your laptop to your ps3? If so you can do it either wirelessly or by ethernet but you'll need to connect them via a modem/router. Anyway, you'll find your answer in the Tech Support section.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (28,744 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Yes you can. Wi - fi = wireless

You can choose wireless in your ps3 network settings.

And you can Connect To wireless internet on your laptop

^ The above post is my signature ^
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (28,728 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

nah share the internet to the ps3 ive done it before with an ethernet cable but its gone and i dont know if it was normal one or crossover so what one will i need also do you have step by step on how to connect wireless ps3 to the laptop?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (28,721 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

the ps3 doesnt support ad hoc does it? so i cant set up ad hoc on my laptop and let the ps3 connect by that right?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (28,707 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Here's my answer for someone else in the same situation.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=bANZ_PS3_GettingOnline&mess...

Let me know if you have further problems and I can try to help.....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (28,699 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Iv written a pretty detailed and lengthy thread in another forum (yes i wrote it and im cool having it posted here as well if tis cool with the mods) but for now i'll just give you my hyperlink and hope it helps:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1009780

oh and yes its possible to do it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (28,691 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

i dont want a router hanging from my latop or need to spend extra money.so the ps3 doesnt support ad hoc? what type of ethernet cord do i need to use to connect my laptop to my ps3 a normal one or a crossover i had it done before but the cord gone and i didnt get a chance to see what type it was
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (28,665 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

This is a direct quote from the link I posted earlier.....

Quick guide for this is as follows : connect wireless USB reciever to laptop, and connect to internet as usual. Use a crossover cable to connect from laptop ethernet port to PS3 ethernet port. Then go into network settings and select both your wired local LAN network and the wireless internet connection. With both selected right click and there should be an option to bridge the connections, click this option and the connection should be bridged, allowing the ps3 to access all of that wireless internet goodness.....

So I think the answer is a crossover cable..... further, if this doesnt work here is another direct quote from a response I gave in the same thread i reffered you to earlier it should help you set up an ad hoc for the ps3

Hmmm if you cannot bridge the connection you could set up an ad hoc network, and use internet connection sharing.

These articles may help.... basically you want to use the integrated Microsoft Internet connection sharing, which works better or worse depending on the day of the week apparently....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

I have never gone down this route personally so can't offer any further advice. I assume there are similar guides available for vista.....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (28,656 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

thanks. everywhere on the net says the ps3 doesnt supportad hoc though. and yer i have vista so some parts are different for sharing and its confusing
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (28,650 Views)
0 Kudos