PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

27 Jun 2012
By: Jonesy-ov-s5 Member 1233 Posts
Level 5

has it really been that long since i bought a new controller or...........

[ Edited ]
9 Replies 247 Views edited 27-06-2012

has it really been that long since i bought a controller and forgot what a new one is like. have they changed them??

just recieved my new DualShock 3 from shopto.net and i thought the DS3 was like glossy, but this one is like a matte black and kinda feels cheap.

have they always been this way or are sony cutting costs and making them very cheap. the packaging says charcoal black. and its come in a carboard packaging instead of the blister pack.

------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (247 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Re: has it really been that long since i bought a new controller or...........

Controllers have changed to match the SLIM PS3. and you get the new colours on the out side box as well.

Also the base is now one solid peace. The bottom triggers no longer have the split peace plastic above them which were a bugger on Sixaxis and earlier DS3s to get back in...   

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (242 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

GraphiteGB wrote:

Controllers have changed to match the SLIM PS3. and you get the new colours on the out side box as well.

Also the base is now one solid peace. The bottom triggers no longer have the split peace plastic above them which were a bugger on Sixaxis and earlier DS3s to get back in...   

ye my DS3 which i have just binned came with my brothers slim ps3, i swapped my white one for his and that was all one piece on the base but it was like a glossy style controller where this is like matte style.

------------
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (236 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Yeah it's been like this for a while now.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (231 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Spirit0fLight wrote:
Yeah it's been like this for a while now.

well wen i first got it out of the packaging, i thought it was a little cheap but now im actually starting to like it, the matte black coating makes it easier to grip and not slippery and also the analogue sticks feel stronger, the click also feels bettter too.

the only let down being they still use those shocking analogue stick tops, they are awkward as your thumbs slip off them. they need like a dent in them like the 360 controllers or need to be a more grippy material.

------------
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (228 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

I much prefer the new controllers. They feel MORE solid to me if anything. And ditching blister packaging is never a bad thing. I'm sure if you asked them they would say they use cardboard for green reasons but I bet the reduced cost is more than just a happy side effect :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Chimpanzee wrote:
I much prefer the new controllers. They feel MORE solid to me if anything. And ditching blister packaging is never a bad thing. I'm sure if you asked them they would say they use cardboard for green reasons but I bet the reduced cost is more than just a happy side effect :smileyhappy:

ye just noticed with this new one, it dunt creek and dunt feel like u can twist it.

and ye blister packaging is a bleeding nightmare to get into, you need a sthil saw to open them.

this planet is going so green that DS3's will end up coming just wrapped in toilet paper instead of a box. be able to unwrap it and then use the packaging to wipe your backside later on.

------------
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (183 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Are the trigger springs any better in the newer matt controllers? I am growing tired of repairing mine.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (167 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Danlisa wrote:
Are the trigger springs any better in the newer matt controllers? I am growing tired of repairing mine.

hard to tell. they feel the same tension wise. but as i only got it today i cant really tell how long it will be before they springs weaken and creek or snap.

al use the controller for a few days n al let you know how much better it may or may not be.

------------
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (156 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

I've neve had problems with any controller other then the analogue sticks wearing out after years.

Been using matte one for over a year no problems yet. (Or squeaks, if you class that as a problem?).
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (123 Views)
0 Kudos