PS3 General

PS3 General

Level 2

Re: how much ram does the ps3 have?

kingchaz wrote:

st0rmbr1nger wrote:
  • PS3 has 256MB of XDR RAM@3.2Ghz and 256MB of GDDR3 RAM@750Mhz
  • Xbox360 has 512MB of GDDR3 RAM@700MHz

The 360 has unified memory(one big lump of memory that the GPU and the CPU can use), the PS3 has 2 separate memory systems, 1 running at a "slow" speed (slow as in 360 speeds), the other extremely low latency and very fast speeds. The PS3 system has the overall advantage, as it has the adantage of the fast XDR, and both the RSX and the Cell can access each others memory pool, giving it a similar advtantage the 360s unified configuration. (the only downside, is the reading/writing between memory systems on the PS3 has to be programmed by the developer, wheras the 360 memory pooling is automatic).
Message Edited by st0rmbr1nger on 07-12-2008 08:51 PM

I thought you were a bit smarter than that .?

1 ,stly the 360 as 522Mb total , 512Mb main ram with an extra 10 Mb of ram for things like AA. etc... ........( look it up).

2 ,ndly , as you have mentioned the 360s ram is indeed slower than the XDR ram on ps3 ,but what you have failed to say is ,when the ps3 as to share its 2 pools of ram .(i.e when the 256 Mb of gpu ram isnt enough).

The super duper fast XDR rams speed nose dives to the "SLOW" speed (your words)  of 750Mhz,so more less killing the so called extra speed advantage it as over the 360.

I think this is why alot of devs choose to reduce texture detail etc ( look at fall 2 ,some of the textures are really poor)to keep games running smooth.

Again this isnt a ps3 power issue its got planty of that.

Yes drakes looks fantatsic and proves there is away round it,which is why i cant understanbd why on one as brought the game engine off them ?

Like you said devs can work around the issue,but its not easy.Sony really should of added more Gpu ram.

I

I didn't count the EDO Ram in the 360, likewise I didn't count the 256KB on each of the SPU's on the PS3, the orginal poster is not interested in that. Also, the PS3 does not "speed nose dives" when it accesses the other memory. Sure the Cell can only access the memory as fast as the memory is, but the fact remains, the PS3 has a massively faster memory bus, with much lower latency than the 360. Both memory layouts have their advantages and disadvantages, but for gaming, the PS3 version is superior, as long as you know how to code for it. What this means in the real world, is that PS3 platform exclusives will be using the PS3 memory in the way it was designed, multi-platform titles will be using it in the more contentional 360-like, way.

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 190 (1,518 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

How many times do we have to have this argument?
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 190 (1,511 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

DeathroW22 wrote:

Until supermarket shelf stackers stop pretending to be bedroom console designers?

Bernie Rhodes knows don't argue.
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 190 (1,507 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

st0rmbr1nger wrote:

DeathroW22 wrote:

Until supermarket shelf stackers stop pretending to be bedroom console designers?

Go on, lead with example.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 190 (1,504 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Not enough!
"we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 190 (1,494 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Everyone agrees (SONY, game developers etc), it's a pinch getting games running well on the PS3. Now there is a better understanding of how the PS3 can be best utilised; games will look and run beautifully.
The real problem isn't how well the PS3 runs games...we already have excellent examples; Uncharted, MGS4 etc. If the ONLY thing the PS3 did was play games then it is surely a success.
But the PS3 has to do more than just play games, and this is where the inadequate memory causes problems. Look how laggy in-game XMB and the on-screen keyboard is in-game. How the browser stutters and freezes in Life with Playstation etc, etc.
The PS3 struggles to find the memory to do some basic things which is unfortunate as it's difficult to remedy.
Games are not the issue, it's everything else.
"we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 190 (1,489 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

Sonnyjimba wrote:
512mb of RAM is fine, its the power of the CELL with 9 cores that can make games run so smoothly.
are people still going around thinkin the PS3 has 9 cores?! actually, last time it was 8 :laugh:. now its 9? where are you people getting this stuff? sony themselves have said that the PS3 only has 6 SPEs available to developers. it will NEVER have more than 6 available. 
this is straight from sonys press releases.
both consoles have 512MB of main RAM. the 360 has an extra 10MB available for AA/etc. the SPEs 'extra' RAM is just used as a cache, its not used for normal RAM functions so you cant count it. even if you could, its only something like 1.4MB anyway.
the 360 has a superior RAM setup for videogame development, this is not debateable. 512MB of shared RAM > 2 lots of 256MB separate to each other.  

Message Edited by TehPotentialz on 08-12-2008 02:29 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 190 (1,465 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

@bigdon23

dont feel disapointed, so far the world best gfx are available on ps3, not that pc cant handle ps3 gfx but because some of them are sony games and they are exclusive to the console while other enterprizes prefer consoles, they are easyer to code, to support and much more safe.
About the ps3 capabilities i can say it plays Gran Turismo 5 which is the world best looking game in the world on racing series at 1080p full not upscaled, wipeout hd also has some nice graphics, motorstorm pacific rift again astonish graphics, uncharted again world best looking game in the world on adventure series but only 720p.
You cant compare a pc with a ps3 mate, pcs are barelly optimized and its like comparing milk to cheese, get it?
Heres an example:
A pc with 200mhz cpu runs ALOT worse than playstation 2 which also has a 200mhz cpu.
a pc with 256mb ram runs way worse than a console with 256mb ram, its simple, consoles use way diferent architecture so it will work more efficiently with that only set of hardware while pcs have to be backward compatible with different components.
Hope this helped.
My PSN: Legendary Agent
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 190 (1,454 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]
Of course 512MB of unified RAM being better for videogames development IS debatable. It's totally debatable. It's just down to developers choosing their platform. I don't think we've seen anything like the best from the PS3 yet and I reckon the 360 is peaking in terms of performance. They are both great consoles but the PS3's different take on architecture will confuse some and aid others it depends on how good the developer is, how well they can push the boundries. If everyone just sticks to what they know and what is easy then we might as well buy wiis.
Message Edited by Usaryan on 08-12-2008 04:10 AM

For some edgy alternative indie music check out: Electric Fan Death

Games playing: Sonic 4 Episode 1, Sports Champions, Resident Evil 5: Move Edition.

"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 190 (1,452 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Legendary_Agent wrote:
About the ps3 capabilities i can say it plays Gran Turismo 5 which is the world best looking game in the world on racing series at 1080p full not upscaled, wipeout hd also has some nice graphics, motorstorm pacific rift again astonish graphics, uncharted again world best looking game in the world on adventure series but only 720p.
you could say that, but youd be wrong :smileywink:. GT5 is NOT native 1080p, its upscaled 50% horizontally actually. it runs at 1280x1080 and is upscaled from there to 1920x1080. 
wipeout has some nice graphics because its essentially a PS1 game running in HD - and even its not native 1080p, it also uses upscaling.
uncharted the best looking game in the world? lol. looks nice, but far from it. wouldnt even be in the top 5, maybe top 10 though. 

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 190 (1,443 Views)
0 Kudos