13 Mar 2008
By NRD
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

install PS2 games

4 Replies 277 Views Created 13-03-2008
Maybe mentioned, but search isnt working, high demand!

Its been taken from the jap site that this firmware will allow PS2 games to be installed and then gives two games that currently can be installed...BUT

i know that the FF game originaly came with a HDD for the PS2 as it needed to use it, and this game never made it to other parts of the world.

I dont think this allows PS2 games to be installed, I *think* that this just allows games that needed a HDD in the PS2 to be used on the PS3, and seeing as EU and USA never had these games, this is why its only on the jap site

-end-

**YLOD 19/8/09** **YLOD successfully ReFlow 29/8/09** **Brand New PS3 slim 1/9/09** **Slim Laser failed 31/10/09**
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Re: install PS2 games

Yes of course that all it meant, sony wouldnt allow full games which didnt require it for online purposes to be copied to the hdd.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Kudos
NRD
Level 3

Playstation Staff

But there be a lot of speculation that this little nugget of info suggests the ps3 will be able to download PS2 games from the mighty store.

**YLOD 19/8/09** **YLOD successfully ReFlow 29/8/09** **Brand New PS3 slim 1/9/09** **Slim Laser failed 31/10/09**
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Maybe mentioned, but search isnt working, high demand! Its been taken from the jap site that this firmware will allow PS2 games to be installed and then gives two games that currently can be installed...BUT i know that the FF game originaly came with a HDD for the PS2 as it needed to use it, and this game never made it to other parts of the world. I dont think this allows PS2 games to be installed, I *think* that this just allows games that needed a HDD in the PS2 to be used on the PS3, and seeing as EU and USA never had these games, this is why its only on the jap site -end- Never thought about that, you're probably correct. The Babelfish translation is very ambiguous but there is a registered trademark thingy within it so maybe the original Japanese was referring to the PS2's propriety hard drive.
The PlayStation 2 standard software whose installation to®the hard disk is possible was added.
It also mentions on the Japanese site that the new 40GB is not supported, at first I was a little disappointed because it looked like PS2 games would not be supported on the 40GB from the store, now there is a ray of hope if this news is really just about getting specific hard drive supported PS2 titles to work on backward compatible models.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Never thought about that, you're probably correct. The Babelfish translation is very ambiguous but there is a registered trademark thingy within it so maybe the original Japanese was referring to the PS2's propriety hard drive.

It also mentions on the Japanese site that the new 40GB is not supported, at first I was a little disappointed because it looked like PS2 games would not be supported from the store now there is a ray of hope if this new is just about getting specific hard drive supported PS2 titles to work on backward compatible models.

Seems pretty clear to me, games which could be installed onto hdd on the ps2, which as a requirement ffxi needs can now do so on the ps3, doesnt indicate to me ps2 games going into the store anytime soon.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (277 Views)
0 Kudos