14 Apr 2010
By: kra1273

4 Posts

ps3 shutting itself down

8 Replies 502 Views Created 14-04-2010

hi.

i have the following problem.

this morning i was playing nfs shift for about an hour, then came a beep, red light flashed for a few seconds, then shut down.

tried to turn it back on,  red light for 1 sec, beep, then yellow light for 1 sec, beep, then just a red light flashing constantly.

i have read in previous posting about the 'yellow light of death'  but in my case the yellow light was only on for 1 second, does this mean its dead completly? or does the yellow light stay on?

i have had the ps3 pretty much from its launch, and i upgraded the hard drive about 6 months ago to a 320gb, had no problems with that, and all ran smoothly till today.

not very happy as i was planning on doing a backup next week, but now i have nothing.

any ideas?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (502 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: ps3 shutting itself down

Isn't the yellow light the HDD indicator? My limited knowledge would suggest its a problem with the HDD. Might be worth putting the original HDD back in to see if it'll work, then to me that'd suggest your current HDD is screwed...

If that's the case, you might be able to have data recovered.... maybe.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (493 Views)
0 Kudos

the hard drive light is a small yellow  light near the usb ports.

my yellow light problem is not that.

the 2 light at the on/off button is where mine are flashing, the normally green light changes to yellow for 1 second with a beep, then shuts down, then the red light just flashes.

if i put the orginal hard drive back in, it will just format 1st, which is no good to me, and ive read somewhere that taking the existing hard drive out then placing it back could help, but if i do that, the 1st thing the console will do is format the hard drive. and i dont wont to lose certain things on there, yes i know that i can download most of it from the ps network, but there is a lot of stuff that i cant.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (461 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Unfortunately that is the "yellow light of death" people mention.

The console should only have to format the drive if it's been formatted for use in another PS3 or computer.

Although if you want to be sure you have stuff backed up before trying to take the drive out, there is a so-called "hairdryer trick" I've seen mentioned to get the PS3 to stay on for a few minutes. I'm sure you can find the details with a forum search.

Good luck. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (459 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

hi.
yep YLOD I'm afraid :smileysad:

but you have a few options - clicky on the YLOD link in my sig below :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (455 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

yer you got the ylod you might want to cry
sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (445 Views)
0 Kudos

i watched the you 6 part youtube guide from 'gilksy' and decided against trying a self repair, i have found a few companies that do ps3 repairs, 1 company have a set price for the ylod problem, £88.13 including delivery both ways and a 3 month warranty.  do you think this a good deal?

p.s.

and they said everything on the harddrive would still be there, ie- games saves and all my downloads etc

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (386 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

the best place is sony they will give you a refurbished 1 fixed by someone who knows (sort of) what there doing

also no you need a usb thingy to back up most of your memory because ps3 locks some save files and all dlc can be redownloaded free of charge by going to account management ,transactions,download list

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (374 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Repair it yourself :smileyhappy:

It's cheaper and you get the satisfaction of repairing it all by yourself :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (366 Views)
0 Kudos