16 Dec 2012
Playstation Staff

question on new 12G PS3

15 Replies 4,352 Views Created 16-12-2012

I understand that the PS3 has 12G of flash memory. and no hard drive, but that you can put an ordinary IDE hard drive into it as you can with other PS3 models.

However with this model if you fit a hard drive  to it can you also still use the 12G flash drive as well ?

I

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (4,352 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: question on new 12G PS3

yes but why dose it matter?

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (4,330 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Just don't get this 12Gb model.

By the time you buy a cradle and stick a hard drive in it .... is it worth the effort?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (4,320 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Tassie_tiger wrote:

By the time you buy a cradle and stick a hard drive in it .... is it worth the effort?

Yes, for £138 (with cheaper offers surfacing now and then) I'd say it is worth it. Especially if you have a spare 500GB HDD gathering dust.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (4,296 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

http://www.shopto.net/ps3/PS3SLIM26-ps3-500gb-super-slim-console

£180 for 500GB Super Slim if you don't have a 500GB HDD

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (4,288 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

yes but why dose it matter?

It does matter, since you need a SATA HDD for the PS3.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (4,279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

yes but why does it matter?

Assuming what you say is correct, that would mean that the net result is that you would have a PS3 with both a hard drive and a flash drive, that means you would end up with the best PS3 to date and have a choice of which drive to store games, the flash drive will be faster than magnetic drive also, so your most used stuff could be on that etc

(I corrected your spelling too - bonus)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (4,278 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Once you have a sata HDD in you do not need to use the flash memory which has a slower read and wright speed than a standard 5400rpm Sata drive.

So no it does not matter if you can use a measly 12GB which is not even the amount spare to you over the upto 500GB

You don't  need to correct any spelling but I guess if it makes you feel superiot over some one with dyslexia then go ahead  by all means.

Below is a Signature

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (4,270 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Tassie_tiger wrote:

If you are lying the PS3 flat then a hard drive caddy is not needed. I just shoved a 500gb in mine and works fine. Your saving around £50 buying a 12gb. With that £50 you saved you can buy a 1tb hard drive if you put the extra tenner or so to it. So its a no brainer really.  500gb or pay the extra tenner and get 1tb?

To anyone who needs a 1tb hard drive Amazon have one for £60.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0053YLTBC/ref=asc_df_B0053YLTBC11052778?smid=AH32YJP281GBN&tag=googlecou...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (4,264 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

ocelot07 wrote:

Tassie_tiger wrote:

If you are lying the PS3 flat then a hard drive caddy is not needed. I just shoved a 500gb in mine and works fine. Your saving around £50 buying a 12gb. With that £50 you saved you can buy a 1tb hard drive if you put the extra tenner or so to it. So its a no brainer really.  500gb or pay the extra tenner and get 1tb?

To anyone who needs a 1tb hard drive Amazon have one for £60.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0053YLTBC/ref=asc_df_B0053YLTBC11052778?smid=AH32YJP281GBN&tag=googlecou...

Interesting.

*Screws face up at the new 500GB console sitting on top of the old dead slim.*

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (4,251 Views)
0 Kudos