20 Oct 2009
Playstation Staff

upgrading hard drive in a ps3 slim

5 Replies 2,864 Views Created 20-10-2009

i have a ps3 slim with 120gb hard drive. but i want a bigger one like 1tb. i have found a 2.5 sata hard drive witch is a 1tb i was wondering if someone can help. because i want to know if it will fit and work in my playstation.http://www.amazon.co.uk/western-digital-scorpio-internal-OEM/db/B002L264J6/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=ele... 

DSC00022.JPG i not sure if this works or not it might be a bit to big but if someone can help me out. thanks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (2,864 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: upgrading hard drive in a ps3 slim

i know the link is broken i just tryed it my self but you should be able to find the hard drive if you just go to amazon.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (2,825 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-OEM/dp/B002L264J6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=ele...

If you mean that one it will not fit,it is 12mm thick.

Basically you need a 2.5" SATA that is 9mm thick and i believe the biggest you can get at the moment is 500gb.

Like this One
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (2,825 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

thanks for the info. my mate using this drive but it only give's him 412gb to use now is there another hard drive that has like 500gb or more than 412gb if so can any recomend one thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (2,807 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

TBH, you shouldnt need more than 250GB
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (2,798 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Cyberman,

the PS3 can only take a 9mm thick disk internally - the one you mention is 12mm thick. At the moment there are no cost effective 9mm 1TB disks available, although this will change early next year.

People have fitted 12mm disks internally, but this needs serious modifications to this disk caddy, which will invalidate your warranty.

At present, the largest capacity that is labelled PS3 compatible is 500GB.

I hope this helps 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (2,797 Views)
0 Kudos