Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: what annoys you most from games?

Static clouds. I really hate games that don't have real time clouds in. If you're making a fairly realistic game then it needs clouds to move and not just be part of the scenery as a painted backdrop :Shame:

I've forgotten my examples now, but one new game I recently played (RAGE? Darksiders? Mass effect 2?) the clouds never moved all game and really spoilt the atmosphere for me. Playing Metal Gear Solid 2/3 and they managed realistic clouds back on the PS2, and even old Spectrum games had moving clouds in so it should be standard now unless its a cartoony type game where they fit the style and don't move.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 60 (423 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

1) Scripting in sports games: you know, where it feels like your kinda "meant" to lose the game and no matter what you do your gonna lose.

2) No ability to change difficulty level: i enjoy playing games, but i am not the sort of person who enjoys them for a challange, i want fun, so the ability to play games on easy mode is essential for me.

3) unimaginative sequels: for me one of biggest sinners of this was f1 2011... i felt in terms of the career mode they may as well have just patched the 2010 game with the 2011 liveries and drivers... need more effort put into revamping modes that are clearly in need of it.

4) games that give you all the super high powered fun gear RIGHT AT THE END OF THE GAME: super annoying this one, get to use all the good stuff for hardly any time at all, then if you start another playthrough it does not let you keep these weapons.

5) Special or limited editions of games that are clearly not special or limited: for me if a game has these titles on them, there should be some piece of physical memorabilia (like the map in skyrim, or halo reach's diary), a code for some dlc (that is normally just some weapon skins or something rubbish like that) does not count for me.

6) games that force you into some degree of "grinding" (i.e. where you have to do the same mission/race over and over again to get what you need): step forward gran turismo 5... your time has come, this game pretty much forces you to grind the same races over and over again in order to save up money to buy cars for series... for me this is not fun (Forza 4 has a much better system of playing through the game, where grinding is not necessary at all, you race in whatever car you want and the game picks out series for you to race in).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 60 (415 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Emphasis on increased detail over realistic animation. For once I would like to see a game character move fluidly and realistically - screw the polygon count !
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 60 (409 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

All of the above.

I also hate Illogical placing of enemies in areas you had to do puzzles to unlock, Uncharted for example! great game though

I'd rather be a gamer than one of societies drones!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 60 (399 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

bad camera angles is why I gave up trying to play tomb raider on the psp it did my head in.

I don't get too wound up about bugs generally (Aside from quests being broken) but getting stuck in scenery and having to reload my save really REALLY irritates me. I had a shouting fit at fallout new vegas because that happened, I couldn't fast travel because there was an enemy nearby that I couldn't shoot from my position. ARGH.

Sudden random difficulty spikes annoy me as well.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 60 (389 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Other users.

latest example in any COD game you're trying to get through a doorway/pass and they're busy blocking it by camping, you end up getting shot trying to squeeze past them.

and people being generally annoying on voice chat - usually too young to be on the game.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 60 (378 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

ytevo79 wrote:
Static clouds. I really hate games that don't have real time clouds in. If you're making a fairly realistic game then it needs clouds to move and not just be part of the scenery as a painted backdrop :Shame:

you know that is something i have never noticed before after reading that i put Dead Island on and guess what.... Static Clouds.......

I WANT REAL TIME MOVING CLOUDS :Argh: :Lol:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 60 (375 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Lacking mapping controls as you like them.

Really this could be on the OS side of PS3 to be able and map anything as you like, a button to another button etc.

This was the most surpising thing about a game console - lacking this.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 60 (361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Just general lazy  Q&A testing for a game really annoys me. Obviously Skyrim sticks out for this for PS3 because of the problems it's had and the time it took to fix it. Fifa 12 aswell really bugged me due to them not adding the option to change weather and day/night cycle in the launch, which was in the start in Fifa 11.

I just think that devolping has become a case of " well the game launches next week it failed this,this and this but we can always patch that later". I don't think creating games like that is right. I think it should be launched at it's best and then the only reason for patches is to add trophys for DLC.

You wouldn't go to buy a car and the salesman says " oh well it has no wheels at the moment but we'll get them to you in about 3 weeks time".  

Then again due to pressure from a impatient gaming community and gaming sites and publishers.Games are rushed to get them out of the door to the baying public and to appease the publishers to get a quick buck. So we only have ourselfs to blame really. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 60 (357 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Parallel leveling on RPG's.

What I mean is when enemies level up when you do.  What is the point?  It defeats the whole object of an RPG.  Oblivion is a prime example although it is a great game.

Artificially difficult sections on short games to make them longer.  For example Catherine & Ninja Gaiden are very hard games from start to finish so that's fine.  Some other games are fine until you get to a point when they become ridiculously hard before returning to normal again.  It just feels cheap.

Also linked to the paragraph above are games that require luck over skill to beat.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 60 (346 Views)
0 Kudos