05 Jun 2011
By: seany_boy2k8 Member 2,947 Posts
Level 3

what is PS smoothing

14 Replies 7,416 Views Created 05-06-2011

what exactly does this do. it says it smooths out the rough edges so im guessing its trying to make the graphics look a tad better but if this is the case then why do we have an option to turn it on and off. surely something like that would just be built in and work for everygame without needing to configure it

PSN: seany_boy2k8
Xbox tag: Seany_Blitz
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (7,416 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Re: what is PS smoothing

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

what exactly does this do. it says it smooths out the rough edges so im guessing its trying to make the graphics look a tad better but if this is the case then why do we have an option to turn it on and off. surely something like that would just be built in and work for everygame without needing to configure it

it smooths out the edges on ps1 and ps2 games, which does improve the visuals when you are playing a ps2 game on 50 inches of plasma.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (7,410 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

its for ps1-ps2 games on disc or purchased from the store to try and stop the graphics looking naff

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (7,407 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

But you can't polish a turd.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15 (7,402 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

[ Edited ]

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

because some people may like it off and like the rough classic look.

------------
now own a 12GB Super Slim with a 500GB HDD upgrade.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15 (7,393 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

It's a way of making the image look less pixelated. Frankly you might as well describe it as "smudging"

because that's pretty much how it achieves it's effect.

Personally I prefer the pixelated look on an HD screen over the pseudo-aliased look.

Sadly SD games look poor on an HD display, and this is their method for rectifying it. On an SD display the games still look as good as you remember.

PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (7,375 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

It's a way of making the image look less pixelated. Frankly you might as well describe it as "smudging"

Personally I prefer the pixelated look on an HD screen over the pseudo-aliased look.

Sadly SD games look poor on an HD display, and this is their method for rectifying it. On an SD display the games still look as good as you remember.

When i use in on Blood money everything seems to have a blurry look, but its better than having the lego look of not using it :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (7,356 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I_reaps_I wrote:

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

seany_boy2k8 wrote:

When i use in on Blood money everything seems to have a blurry look, but its better than having the lego look of not using it :smileyvery-happy:

Your heard it here first....

Lego Hitman

PSN: DrTrouserPlank
XBL: AgentKillmore
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (7,345 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

DrTrouserPlank wrote:

So do I. I really dislike the smoothing blur smudge nonsense, it just makes the games more ugly.

All signatures sucks, especially those with images in them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (7,309 Views)
0 Kudos

Awww :Frown: Too bad. I thought I just found an option to make CoD look less ruff. Since I am playing on 50inches I can see all that Non-AA in the graphics settings. ::Scared:

Big fan of PSN! But SONY??? Where is your Name-change option??? How many people have asked for it so far??? Please make it possible for every User to change there name!

Post this to your own account if you agree and make SONY see that everybody DOES need this feature not just the Japanese!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (6,661 Views)
0 Kudos