26 Oct 2009
Playstation Staff

will the ps3 connect to the internet using a wpa2-psk aes wifi connection?

4 Replies 14,171 Views Created 26-10-2009

will the ps3 connect to the internet using a wpa2-psk aes  wifi connection? and if so has anyone tested this  on their ps3 ?

as i downlaod alot and use the most secure connection , and dont want to change it to WEP or WPA

so does this work and who has tested this?

d
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (14,171 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: will the ps3 connect to the internet using a wpa2-psk aes wifi connection?

gamersean wrote:

will the ps3 connect to the internet using a wpa2-psk aes  wifi connection? and if so has anyone tested this  on their ps3 ?

as i downlaod alot and use the most secure connection , and dont want to change it to WEP or WPA

in all the time i have been setting up networks at houses and offices . i have never botherd with WPA . its obviously more secure , but how many people down a residential road are going to bother at having a go at trying to get into your network . WEP is more than good enough for 90% of the population . the only easy way to brake a wep key , is to buy a prism wifi adapater and packet sniff and then use a program to fill in anything thats missing and force your way in. its better to usa wpa if the option is there but wpa2 . mate your just going to have to try it 
Free Image Hosting

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (14,156 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

gamersean wrote:

In short , yes : http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectadvance.html

If you're router and other devices support it then use it. Although some may not agree and think that residential area's are not the place for this security , if you can apply the better of all options then do so.

You don't need anything special to crack a wep encryption other then a laptop / pc and a packet sniffer which can be downloaded freely.

So yes , use WPA2 ..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (14,143 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

wpa2 is a death trap my mum updated the router to wpa2 and now its f****d up my ps3 it will sighn me in for 20 mins then sighn me out and cant sighn back in right away its been doing it for a mounth now and am very upset if this cant be fixed cuz my mum dosent wont to down grade it to  WPA. :smileysad:

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5 (7,532 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

mine works fine on WPA not a single problem with it :smileyhappy: although my old PSP dosnt like WPA very much like "/

and JordanDaBadman what do you mean? updated to WPA2? WPA is your wireless encryption you can change your wireless encryption type at any time under your router interface via the browser under the wireless security section changing it wont downgrade nothing or nout like that

my o2 Router runs with WPA+WPA2 and i dont have a single problem with it :smileyhappy: if anything its most likely a problem with your internet connection have you tried switching the a cable and trying it out that way?

---------------------- Live Long And Prosper ----------------------

Search & Win
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (7,507 Views)
0 Kudos