30 Jun 2012
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

4OD crashes or freezes every single time it gets to the commerical break

17 Replies 18,265 Views Created 30-06-2012

I have been having prolems with 4OD.  Every time it gets to commerical break, the system freezers or crashes.  I cannot get to the home screen, or close the browser when this happens.  I can only turn off the PS3 by using the power button on the front of the console.

It started off only happening every once in a while and sometimes instead of freezing, it would give an error message about there not being enough memory, then loading a blank browser page.

For the last week or so however, it has been happening every time I get to a commerical break on a Channel 4 programme.  Sometimes I can skip the first part of the program and watch two breaks in a row, but then it will crash as soon as it gets to the next break anyway.

I have tried clearing out the browser cookies/cache/history this has no effect.

It is very frusttrating to me since I only ever watch TV on demand, adn the Bravia TV i bought for this purpose has not Channel 4/4OD!

Please help me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18 (18,265 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: 4OD crashes or freezes every single time it gets to the commerical break

don't worry, many people have had this problem, especially at the ad breaks.

it's because the app on the xmb was written for the old web browser.

the solution is to use the new browser...

1) launch the 4od app as usual

2) press [select] & choose 'add to bookmarks'

3) exit the 4od app, then launch the web browser

4) press [select] & choose 4od from bookmarks

you shouldn't have any problems now. this method works for the itv player as well

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (18,259 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks very much for your reply.  I am trying this out now. 

I wonder if that is the case, why they have not bothered to update the 'app' to use the new browser?  And also why they have left it so you can still use the old browser?

The menus seem to respond faster when using it through the browser, so I am hopeful this will work.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18 (18,253 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

You shouldn't have any problems using 4OD this way. The reason the old browser is still running in the TV section is a lot european countries catch-up tv services need the old browser to function.

Hopefully the other countries will update their TV catch-up services and the old browser is removed. Shame we can't have a UK specific firmware update or CH4 make a dedicated app like BBCiplayer. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18 (18,249 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

i really should point out that i learned this fix from mont348.

kudos to him

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18 (18,245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

If I use the browser, rather than the links on the XMB, it does seem to solve my problem and it doesn't seem to crash any more.  At first the cursor moved very oddly around the screen, but since the lastest update it seems to work better than the orginal app ever did.

Thanks very much for explaining to me how to use bookmarks properly, I had previously tried to get OD programs through the browser, but had not been able to because I could only look at their 'normal' websites and couldn't work out how to get to the Playstation ones.

However the orginal apps/web pages which still have icons on the XMB no longer work at all.  You can access the menus but not the videos.  I would appericate a response from Sony's offical support about why these haven't been updated.  I basically have a load of broken applications on my Playstation now.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18 (18,127 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thank you for this info it seems to have worked for now but what a disgrace that 9 months later the problem still exists.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18 (12,436 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

buddha11180 wrote:
Thank you for this info it seems to have worked for now but what a disgrace that 9 months later the problem still exists.

Hi guys,

I have raised this higher to find out some information- a new browser was introduced after the TV channel icons were put on the XMB and 4OD one still needs to be updated by the respective channel.

I will raise this again and see if can obtain more updated information here.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18 (12,431 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

RabidWalker wrote:

buddha11180 wrote:

Hi guys,

I have raised this higher to find out some information- a new browser was introduced after the TV channel icons were put on the XMB and 4OD one still needs to be updated by the respective channel.

I will raise this again and see if can obtain more updated information here.

Rabid

Thank you Rabid and apoligies if i came off as being an assburger but a month of frustration with the issue finally found me here i can assure you my frustrations arent aimed at you guys that actually take the flack (you lot do an amazing job) but at them buggers upstairs and the external app makers :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18 (12,340 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks from me too, for looking into this for us RabidWalker.  I am still using the browser work our to this day and I use the 4OD app every day.

I would be incredably greatful if you could update this thread once the issue is resolved, so I don't have to keep risking crashing my system again to find out if it has been or not.  It doesn't recover easily and I have to keep rebuilding the database.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18 (12,288 Views)
0 Kudos