04 Dec 2008

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

80710B23 error- Cannot connect to the PlayStation Network

[ Edited ]
19 Replies 31,425 Views edited 27-09-2011

80710B23 Error:-  I can't conect to the Playstation Network, even though I can access the Internet Browser and that works fine. Every time I try the Playstation Network is comes up with some message about if it's taking a long time check internet connections then eventually it comes up with an error 80710B23.

Why can I use the internet browser but not the Network?

I've tried several times over the past few months and it's never once been able to connect.

Any ideas anyone?

I'm using a wireless Belkin G+ MIMO ADSL2+Modem Router. My ISP is Plusnet, typically getting around 3 meg

Also, I've recently bought a Wii and can play online games fine on there.

Cheers, Steve

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20 (31,425 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: 80710B23 error

QUOTE from a message on the US forums

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&thread.id=157789

Yes,
It is easy,
If you have a cable modem connection, you should never see this error message.
Only most of DSL customers have this problem because you need to get to network settings and set the MTU manually to 1492 instead of the default 1500.
This is a 100% fix for this error message.
I wish the moderator will erase all other solutions on this board because they were all wrong and does not work.
I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20 (31,395 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Unfortunately it hasn't worked. I've got the properties of my modem router so have got the IP address of it, DNS etc. Still no joy.

But if I can access the internet browser surely the modem settings are right? Or not?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20 (31,331 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

it might be worth phoning your isp as it sounds like your having the same problem that tiscali & pipex users have been having.

if the web browser is working on your ps3 then it may also be worth switching your router off for a minute or two then turning it back on.

i have found that solves any issue i have with connecting or a slow connection.

Message Edited by RALLYDRIVER on 08-12-2008 11:07 PM
www.ps3trophies.co.uk
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20 (31,394 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I moved the PS3 upstairs and used a wired connection into the router and that works - just been playing network Rainbow Six Vegas- so it's got to be something to do with the wireless settings.

Easiest thing will be to run a wire round the house and forget the wireless link!

But I'd still like to know how to solve the problem though

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20 (31,379 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hi All, Found one possible solution for this at least it worked for me, all I had to do was go into Network Settings and disable the media server connection, looks like that was conflicting with PSN sign-in probably some problem with the settings within the router but this was a quick fix so why go poking around with settings I don't even pretend to understand, all I have to do is set it back to enable when I want to access files from my laptop as I'm not using PSN while doing that. Hope this helps
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20 (30,144 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I tried 1492, no joy.   Any other suggestions?? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20 (29,953 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Try going down lower?

I've been messing about with this MTU thing in CMD Prompt and finding that the lower the MTU the lower the round-trip response times...

I'm currently down as low as 600 and the response time is averaging at 32ms down from 37ms when testing at 1470

The highest MTU I tested before I didn't get a response was 1472 but the round trip time is average of 37ms

Now, does the PS3 require to be within a certain number with this?

i.e. Can it be set really low or does it need to be above a certain number to connect properly?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20 (29,942 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

The required MTU is more dependant on your ISP than your PS3.

bear in mind that the MTU is the size of the data 'chunk' which is being sent out over the net.

whilst lower MTUs may individually have faster responses, there will be more of them - so there is an overhead in chopping the data up (more) and re-assembling it at the other end.

but basically, yes, playing with the settings until you get the best result is no bad thing :smileyhappy:

sub 40ms responses are pretty good though! :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20 (29,936 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

PS
AOL in particular doesn't seem to like MTUs over 1400.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20 (29,936 Views)
0 Kudos