20 May 2012
Playstation Staff

ANY1 TECH MINDED PLZ HELP

5 Replies 101 Views Created 20-05-2012

Im seriously confused atm, is there a way of telling if ur blu ray laser is dying as i thought mine was on my 250g slim but now im not to sure, my last ps3 was a 120 slim and the lasers FULLY died on that 1 as in the end it wouldnt play any disc at all, the problem im having now is slightly different, basically if i change games or generally insert a game disc its having serious issues recognising the game (similar to my last ps3) BUT thats it, if it does read it n the launch icon appears on xmb everything works absolutely fine, no real ingame problems apart from some minor layering graphics wise. Strangley, if it wont pick up the game and i put an audio cd in and play that for a minute then quickly eject it and put a game in it WILL pick up the game, if i manage to get the launch icon on my xmb i can do everything else, come back and still launch the game but if i either turn off my system or change games it wont read the disc again, somethings telling me its either a dirty lens from smoking or the lasers are somehow not getting full use of its tracking? iv been advised to clean my lens but also been advised that i shouldn't clean it by other people, is there a safe way to do this? or has anyone got another idea why it will play games fine but just has problems recognising game disc's when 1st inserted..... im lost!! ={

I DONT NEED LUCK? I GOT AMMO!!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (101 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: ANY1 TECH MINDED PLZ HELP

yeh i'd think the lens is probably either dirty or starting to fail.
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (94 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Iv just put a disc in (b ops ={ shh) n its read the disc but has come up as a logo of a disc with a lightning strike thru the middle saying "corrupted data" !! i look after my game disc's real well n it hasnt even got a greasy finger mark nevermind a scratch! Is there a safe way of cleaning the lens? if the lens is broke i'll be gutted cus that'll be the 2nd ps3 (both slims) to die of a dead lens in less then 18 months =[

Could the hdd or a corrupted file system have any effect on the blu ray player and my games not being read properly and crashing on loading screens? could safe mode help?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (84 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

F1NG3RZ- wrote:

Iv just put a disc in (b ops ={ shh) n its read the disc but has come up as a logo of a disc with a lightning strike thru the middle saying "corrupted data" !! i look after my game disc's real well n it hasnt even got a greasy finger mark nevermind a scratch! Is there a safe way of cleaning the lens? if the lens is broke i'll be gutted cus that'll be the 2nd ps3 (both slims) to die of a dead lens in less then 18 months =[

Could the hdd or a corrupted file system have any effect on the blu ray player and my games not being read properly and crashing on loading screens? could safe mode help?

Hi F1NG3RZ,

It is possible there is an issue with the lens or the reader. If the lens is dirty there is no official disc cleaner I am aware of that can be used (on a slot loading mechanism). There may be other ones but you have to be careful this does not damage the machine further.

It could possibly be an issue with corrupted data, although generally if this was the case there would not be an issue reading the disc initially, it would be after this the issues arise. You can try backing up the HDD data you want to keep and go through Safe Mode.

It's unusual you mention graphical issues on the console, do you see unusual colours on the screen while playing the game at all?

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (75 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the reply rabid.
Basically the graphics issue is not something drastic or immensely noticeable like wrong colours thats bf3's department with the pink screen, the problem im getting is kinda hard to put in words, its as if u get the base image say commander shepherd pointing his gun at some ones head but at 1st its plain n looks basic then over a few seconds you literally see each layer of detail added on top of each other till its as it should be, kinda the way dead island does each time you load a different area/map but this is especially taking place on cutscenes and menus! My discs are reading when inserted now but crashing on loading screens or as im playing having some mad audio probs, im baffled to be fair. also my ps1 games like ff7 arent reading my internal mem cards i had to swap slots to get it to work yesterday, it feels like my ps3 is seriously ill right now!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (66 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

F1NG3RZ- wrote:
Thanks for the reply rabid.
Basically the graphics issue is not something drastic or immensely noticeable like wrong colours thats bf3's department with the pink screen, the problem im getting is kinda hard to put in words, its as if u get the base image say commander shepherd pointing his gun at some ones head but at 1st its plain n looks basic then over a few seconds you literally see each layer of detail added on top of each other till its as it should be, kinda the way dead island does each time you load a different area/map but this is especially taking place on cutscenes and menus! My discs are reading when inserted now but crashing on loading screens or as im playing having some mad audio probs, im baffled to be fair. also my ps1 games like ff7 arent reading my internal mem cards i had to swap slots to get it to work yesterday, it feels like my ps3 is seriously ill right now!

Hi F1NG3RZ, 

Thanks for the reply,

It sounds like the game textures are loading in while the games playing. This is actually a characteristic of certain game engines and can happen. Mass Effect 3 uses the Unreal 3 engine which can have textures load in during cutscenes.

This issue with loading sounds like it could be a different problem. If this is a regular occurence with a multitude of disc I would back up the data on the consoles HDD and go through Safe Mode to see if this rectifies the issue.

Let me know how you get on.

Rabid

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (59 Views)
0 Kudos