25 Dec 2012
Playstation Staff

Bought FarCry 3 for PS3 slim 12gb...

7 Replies 3,027 Views Created 25-12-2012

So yeah, I didn't know you need DOUBLE the size of a psn game available to download & install it. I got the new slim 12gb and it has 9GB free, so I though I could download it....but I can't.

I don't want to buy a new HDD just to download this game. I spent €34 on this game and I can't even play it now, just because the download systeem needs twice the size.

Is there any workaround I can use? :smileysad: I have a spare 8gb usb, but that's it....

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (3,027 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Bought FarCry 3 for PS3 slim 12gb...

Only work around is installing an internal HDD. It's definitely worth doing even mandatory disk game installs can be a few GB a time. 12GB will never go far i filled my 40GB Phat model very quickly and have upgraded that to 320GB and recently again to 1TB. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (3,021 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Sony-PlayStation-3-Hard-Disk-Drive-Mounting-Bracket-for-Super-Sli...

1st of all u will need 1 of these as the 12gb will not come with 1. and for how to put hdd in - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gd05jdtkIM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (3,014 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Well, that sucks. Now I have to buy that bracket and a hdd... I just wanted to play FarCry 3 and I didn't knew you'd need double the size :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (3,008 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

My brother has a PS3 as well (500gb hdd)

Can't I just DL it on his ps3 and then transfer it? Or can I just use his hdd (without him losing data) and use it in my ps3 to just download it?

I don't even need the HDD after...the actual file is only 6gb...but I NEED 12gb to download it >_<

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (2,999 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

It wont work like that hardrives are paired to the system. Inserting a drive from another system will force a format. The only way is upgrading your 12GB model. 

The two links below would give you a 1TB PS3 that will still work out cheaper than a 500GB model. You could still go for a smaller HDD to make it even cheaper. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Internal-Drive-Compatible-Playstation/dp/B0053YLTBC/ref=sr_1_2?s=com...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Replacement-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B009CV1OVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

To be honest the 12GB model is pointless unless you plan on upgrading it yourself or play the latest Call of Duty 24/7.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (2,990 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

If you put the HDD into your console, it will format it and lose everything on it. From memory, a data transfer between consoles would transfer everything on there, so I'm guessing it would have more than 9GB of data to transfer.

Your best solution, as suggested, is to get an HDD. Unless you play only one game at a time, any mandatory installs will end up filling the console. You will be in an endless cycle of delete, install, play. A smallish HDD and caddy will only be around £30-40 at the most, or pay a little extra for a larger HDD and save any potential upgrading in the future.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (2,988 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Yeah, thanks.

I might go for a 250gb HDD though, as I don't want to spend too much money. I've also heard you can buy an external hdd and simply open it since there's always an internal hdd inside an external hdd
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (2,979 Views)
0 Kudos