01 Jan 2010
By Esp1ol
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Connecting PS3 to PC monitor

7 Replies 111,807 Views Created 01-01-2010

Sup.

I need to connect my PS3 to my PC monitor, but I am having some problems. My monitor has one DVI slot and one VGA. VGA is *****, so count that out. So I figured I could use my HDMI to DVI cable, and so I connected the PS3 and the monitor, but my monitor says "Out of Range - 33,6 GHz / 30 GHz". How do I fix this? Using a TV to configure it is not an option, as I don't have one available at the moment.

My surround is set up and nearly ready to go, but I don't know how to connect it to the PS3. I have one strong yellow coloured input slot that says "Center Subwoofer" and two others that are coloured both green and some dark colour (I can not distinguish the colour as the room with my set-up is a bit dark). They are named "Rear" and "Front" respectively. How do I connect these to my PS3? I heard I gotta use optical cable or Multi AV. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (111,807 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Connecting PS3 to PC monitor

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I've done a bit of research and found out a few things which could be why it isn't working.

Before I post anything else, it would be good if you could try resetting the PS3's video output settings. To do so:

1) Turn off your PS3
2) Turn on your PS3 via the consoles power button (you'll hear one beep as it first turns on)
3) Continue to hold down the power button on the PS3 until you hear a second beep.
4) Once you hear the second beep, let go of the button.

The settings will then be reset and the PS3 will detect your optimum settings.

This video will show you how to go about doing so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMFQdINV5A

Give that a go anyway and see if it makes any difference.

For further information on connecting a PS3 to PC monitor, have a look at this guide

Connecting PS3 to PC Monitor

You can also PM with any related queries, or catch me on Twitter @RabidWalker

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (111,795 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Okay, the image is now showing on the screen. Thank you fords30. :smileyhappy: The other part of the problem: How do I get the sound from the PS3, now that the HDMI to DVI eats the sound part? I figured I would have to change it to optical cable or multi AV somewhere, that ain't a problem, but I've never seen this kind of plugs before (The ones mentioned in op), so i don't know what to connect and where. Anyone?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (111,784 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

depends on the input on your sound device (monitor / external speakers?)

you will need to use from the PS3 either the optical output, or the red / white RCA plugs on the normal PS3 AV cable.

If RCA, you may need to buy a converter to 3.5mm jack :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (111,775 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Hello TTDegs, you are definitely right about the RCA option.And I have seen lot of videos on you tube explaining the same..

I am planning to buy HD monitor supporting HDMI for my PS3 as well as for my PC and I have creative inspire 5.1 channel speakers connected to PC[I do not have a sound card but it is currently supported by my motherboard]

I would like to know if there is any possibility with or without a sound card to connect the PS3 optical out or AV to support 5.1 sound

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (111,181 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Hi teananth :smileyhappy:

Is that the creative inspire GD580 or DDTS100 by any chance?

either way, as long as you have a spare optical (supports 5.1) or RCA (supports stereo) input on it, then "yes" :smileyhappy:

The PS3 supports sending video through HDMI, and at the same time, audio via either optical or RCA.
For RCA you simply use the AV cable that comes with the PS3, and for optical you need a separate optical lead.

In audio settings, (from XMB, Settings) you then select 'dual output', and tell it which other type you want :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (111,178 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

What if the monitor does connect with the PS3 after this but it's just a black screen.

Meaning..monitor did connect to PS3 with your instructions but it just shows black screen. Kind of like when you switch inputs on a TV to watch a movie but don't turn on the DVD player
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (7,873 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I'm having the same problem
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (2,033 Views)
0 Kudos