By Corvus9

Corvus9

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Crashing and freezing and stuck at loading screen.

36 Replies 30,977 Views Created 17-09-2013

My version of GTA 5  is unplayable, it constantly keeps freezing or crashing or getting stuck at a loading screen during the opening tutorial. Plenty of people have this issue (Google search) I hope there's a patch pretty soon. 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mont348
Accepted Solution

Disk or PSN version my disk versions running fine maybe a PS3 system spring clean in safe mode will help?  Try both options 3 restore file system and repeat then again option 4 rebuild the database and probably a fresh instalation of game data. 

Re: Crashing and freezing and stuck at loading screen.

/16

Corvus9

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Corvus9
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the advice, I'm using the disc version, and after 2 hours of replaying the tutorial, uninstalling and installing twice I finally made it to the first save point. I'm sure that won't be the end of the problems but it's a start. I will probably follow your advice and do the 'spring clean' anyway. Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos

/16

TRUEsmokez

28%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TRUEsmokez
Accepted Solution
I am having the same problem, at first the game worked fine for a few hours then just got stuck at the loading screen, now however when I play the game i'm just stuck with a black screen and no visuals at all. I have tried EVERYTHING to try and resolve this and nothing has worked. How long are we stuck without game play for? This is beyond a joke especially from the world leading game creators!
0 Kudos

/16

WlLLZYX-

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WlLLZYX-
Accepted Solution

Same here. I'm about 3 hours in and all of a sudden it starts crashing. It's crashed twice on the loading screen when you start the game and pretty much every time I try to buy some clothes. I'll be scrolling through the clothes, then it'll lock on an item. I can still scroll through the clothes, but they won't change on my character. After I leave the store everything is really laggy. I'll press triangle to enter my car and he'll just stand there. Also, running and jumping doesn't seem to work (the map also won't load when I hit pause). About 5 seconds later he'll teleport into the car. After driving a couple hundred meters everything will freeze, and I have to hard reset.

So far it's only happened with Franklin as I haven't been Michael after this started happening.

Seems to be happening to a lot of people from what I've googled.

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
/16

Corvus9

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Corvus9
Accepted Solution

My game was unplayable, so I followed Mont348's advice (posted above) and did the 'spring clean' on my PS3 and now the game hasn't crashed once in 4 hours of playing. Yes it could be an unlikely coincidence but perhaps my HDD was corrupted without causing problems on any other games other than GTA5. All I know is since the repair the game is working fine for me (at the moment). If anyone else is having similar game breaking problems as I was, maybe give it a go. 

Cheers Mont348.

0 Kudos

/16

Zif_Enyo

80%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Zif_Enyo
Accepted Solution

Corvus9 wrote:

My game was unplayable, so I followed Mont348's advice (posted above) and did the 'spring clean' on my PS3 and now the game hasn't crashed once in 4 hours of playing. Yes it could be an unlikely coincidence but perhaps my HDD was corrupted without causing problems on any other games other than GTA5. All I know is since the repair the game is working fine for me (at the moment). If anyone else is having similar game breaking problems as I was, maybe give it a go. 

Cheers Mont348.

I use Play TV on my PS3, and it really helps to do the 'restore file system' thing for me. I do it before I install any new game now.

If anyone reads this and thinks 'wot, how do I do that?'  Just search youtube for 'ps3 restore file system' to find out.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

mont348

• MVP
97%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mont348
Accepted Solution

Corvus9 wrote:

Cheers Mont348.

No problems glad it's worked, I do actually run the safe mode operation maybe at least once a month, it's just like defragging a PC basically it keeps everything running smooth. 

0 Kudos

/16

Corvus9

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Corvus9
Accepted Solution
No need to search, just watch the YouTube video that mont348 has very helpfully posted above in the second post.
0 Kudos

/16

JMoney79

38%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JMoney79
Accepted Solution
I tried it and played a mission it keeps freezing on. I had high hopes cause it said it found corrupt files. It froze again. Crushed. . . I'm sitting here with what has been the best game I've ever played and it keeps freezing. I'm going to try uninstalling the saved data then restoring corrupt data and try it again. For me its very easy to test, I know right where it freezes. At first it was a different mission and when I reinstalled the saved data, I was able to play the mission and completed it. I thought it was fixed. . . Then the next mission froze. That's where I'm at now. So even if it seems like its working, it may crash again later. I really wish we had a resolution. 😞
0 Kudos

/16

JMoney79

38%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JMoney79
Accepted Solution
Ok now I did an uninstall if game install data, then restored corrupt files now I'm trying the rebuild database option, then reinstalling install game file and I'll report back. Cross your fingers like I am. . .
0 Kudos

/16

JMoney79

38%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JMoney79
Accepted Solution
It worked!!! Play several missions without issue!!! Also overall the game is smooth as hell! Never stutters or blurs. Thank god!!! Hope this helps someone!
0 Kudos

/16

JMoney79

38%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
JMoney79
Accepted Solution
Worked for a couple hours now freezing again. . . I quit.
0 Kudos

/16

No-13

35%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
No-13
Accepted Solution
How aware are rockstar of this problem I submitted a problem report the other day has everybody else the more they receive the quicker they might get on the problem.
0 Kudos

/16

Corvus9

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Corvus9
Accepted Solution
My game has now stopped loading in altogether. No matter how many times I reload the game it never gets past the loading story mode title screen. After working fine for hours it's back to unplayable for me.
0 Kudos

/16

rollandrat

72%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rollandrat
Accepted Solution
This was happening to me yesterday all day and it ended up with my hard drive dying.

Turned the console on in the morning, loaded up fine as Trevor but couldn't switch characters no matter what I did, couldn't change weapons, the animations for getting into a car were messed up, and after driving about for not long at all the game froze and was forced to do a hard reset.

So after a few attempts at trying to at least play properly, it worked! But then I realised the textures were loading slow and things were taking ages to appear if I was driving too fast. It did eventually freeze again so I decided to delete the game data and reinstall it (I tried this twice) and that did help until I froze again, tried to load up the game again and it froze on loading story.

At this point upon resetting the ps3, it had me do a restore which would always get stuck at 42% so I had no other choice but try the ps3's safe mode and sorting it out that way. Restoring the file system didn't work so I had no other choice but to restore the ps3 system (the one that wipes all your data yaay ): ) I thought that would have solved it but nope, now the ps3 can't even read the hdd.

Sorry if that was a bit long to read lol, this may have just been a dying hard drive but I didn't have an issue like this at all before gta v so I feel like the game is partly to blame.
0 Kudos

k photo kz2.png
/16

Corvus9

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Corvus9
Accepted Solution

There seems to be a link between GTA5 and corruption of the hard drive. I'm not technically minded so I've no idea what's going on, but I just restored my system file AGAIN and rebuilt my database AGAIN and uninstalled the game data and reinstalled AGAIN and the game is working now. I've never had any other issues with games not working or 'corrupted' hard drives so I don't know what's different this time, but there does appear to be a connection between GTA5 and corrupted data. 

0 Kudos

/16

Tamal34

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tamal34
Accepted Solution

What order are you guys doing this in? I have just tried:

Delete all GTA V game data and saved data utility, then done the restore file option 3, reinstalled GTA V = no luck.

Delete only GTA V install game data, restore option 3, rebuild data base option 4, reinstalled GTA V = no luck.

Mine keeps crashing my entire PS3 at the first scene in the bank. Just wrote Rockstar a lovely little email.

Also, I have no problems with any of my other games wich included loads of Rockstar games and games like Hawx2 which install was about 8GB as well.

Makes me think Playstation and Rockstar are in cahoots trying to make consumers get rid of their older PS3s so they will buy newer versions as this issues seems to be happening on certain models only.

0 Kudos

/16

Corvus9

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Corvus9
Accepted Solution
I have done option 3 (restore) then option 3 (restore) again, then option 4 (rebuild) then uninstall game data and then reinstall game data. It worked first time for hours of play then went wrong again so I did restore etc and it worked again, but I expect it will go wrong again.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Moghal2007

• Award Winner
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Moghal2007
Accepted Solution
I've also had this issue, game freezes after 5-10mins of playing and the ps3 shuts down.

Its a new slim 500gb, only 1 week old :|

Any solution? Really hope this isn't a major problem
0 Kudos

/16

terminator_dia

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
terminator_dia
Accepted Solution

same problem with me i  try to do the mission and while im heading towards the destonation it starts to go all blurry and when i get out of the car and try to go back in he just stands there with his hand out and after a coupke of seconds he teleports in and hes not sitting on the seat he is halfway in the ground and i tried since the first day ive got it im only on the 4th mission help i just really wanna cry and of all games why GTA V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel