16 Mar 2012

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Deactivating previously owned consoles that are no longer in my possession.

26 Replies 23,308 Views Created 16-03-2012

Hi everyone,

So, back story! I've always been pretty unfortunate with my PS3's; I've either had to sell them on at some point or they had mechanical failures (outside of warranty).

Now it was always my presumption that when a unit gets formatted it automatically deactivates the profile attached to it, made sense to me. Anyhow, my most recent PS3 has lasted me considerably longer than my previous units and I've bought quite a lot of content to fill up the 250gb harddrive. Unfortunately, the HDMI port malfunctioned so I've been relegated to playing in SD (worse things have happened I know).

Anyway, this has led me to purchase (yet another) 320gb in order to restore high definition goodness to my life with the intention of simply activating this console, after deactivating my broken one so that I can simply re-download all my recent content (CoD Elite, BF3 DLC, ME3 & various PS+ content) and enjoy life in 720p.

As you can probably guess, this is where my plan falls down. After finding out I couldnt simply do it through my units, I logged into my SEN account where I discovered that my previous consoles were -still- activated somehow (hence why I couldnt activate on the new one). Further on from this, I wasn't able to deactivate any of the consoles through the browser to allow me to activate my new one.

Obviously you can see my conundrum here, I no longer have the PS3's in my possession to manually deactivate them or the means to find them in order to do so.

I've heard a rumour that if I was to contact Sony directly, that I would be able to confirm my details and deactivate all the consoles through customer service/technical support, however I cannot find out how to do so with the support pages on the website. Is this possible, and if so, what is the number to call?

Failing that, does anyone have a solution that would allow me to activate my profile on the new PS3, and deactivating the old ones so that at least all the recent content I've bought can be used as it should (in HD).

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27 (23,308 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Deactivating previously owned consoles that are no longer in my possession.

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/pc/login.action

You can deactivate them via this website :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (23,305 Views)

Playstation Staff

Thank you Babaoriley3! With your help, and with the help of customer services I was able to find option to deactivate all systems. (Must admit it was tricky to find though! heh).

Thank you again

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27 (23,297 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re the above link.

This is all well and good, but it's telling me I have 'My PS3 System' and 'My PS3 System 2'. What a lot of help that is to me!
I can only assume number 2 is the most recently purchased, but since I remember carefully entering both unit numbers during registration, you'd think I could find a way to definitely discover which was which.

This is dumb, and Sony... sort it out!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27 (23,279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

When I click deactivate a window pops up which tells me I need the original console and cannot deactivate over a PC. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27 (20,940 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

yo above me..

Click : Account----> Deactivate all

then it wont say that it will just work trust me. just did it

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27 (20,854 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I did the same as the above but it only diactivates my broken ps3 for games. It won't let me diatctivate the system for movies and music, saying that it can only be done through the system. Something that obviously can't be done as it won't turn on.

Can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27 (20,533 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Just ring Customer service.

Sony owns the licenses for Games.

Music is not even locked to a single console it just shows that its been used before.

The TV & movie studios own the license for movies and TV content.

They prefer vioce communictions as its going to void all past content, on all past consoles with NO redownload for those systems. 

So if they are still active they won't be after they flick the switch.

Users have requested the console changes Even with the console still active in a different location. 

The other reason they need you to contact them is so that you can deside if you want to use UP the 1 extra redownload you get, for the current content, you have brought on the store, they will then allow your 1 free redownload on that new console. You are only give 1 extra download of past content issued by the Movies and TV  studios... 

you only get 2 downloads of each TV or Film file and the second is only for technical faults..

Have fun...

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27 (20,512 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

WHOA! nice... and i kept reading it was not possible. Thanks a lot for this guys...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27 (20,447 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

What? None of the above has worked. I cannot seem to find the "deactivate all" option and when I click the button to deactivate a console, it say I need the console. The only thing I have from the ps3 I want to deactivate is the harddrive as the console had it's day. Now I am stuck. The console I have now is the solid state memory version. So I have two previous ps3's that I cannot deactivate. We should have an option to deactivate them via the account management on the link provided above. It's as good as sony withholding what it our personal data. That someone else could gain access to if they had my hard-drive. When i switched from the first ps3 to the second i swapped the hard-drive's and took the old console to my local game store for proper disposal. Something i reccomend all to do if they think they could be at risk to loosing personal data. Still I NEED TO DEACTIVATE MY OTHER PS3'S!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27 (18,363 Views)
0 Kudos