27 Jan 2011

Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Disc reading Problems, tilting PS3 upwards makes disc read?

6 Replies 10,056 Views Created 27-01-2011

I've had disc reading problems with my ps3 slim 120gb over the last two months (ever since black ops grrrr), sometimes some games spin and load up on the XMB straight away, sometimes I have to keep ejecting and re-inserting the game until I hear the fan start and the disc works. After trying all recovery menu options and cleaning the laser I had conceded that the laser was dying and I would need to pay someone (not sony) to get it repaired (out of warranty). However, after buying FIFA 11 (stupid idea while my ps3 needs repairing I know) I couldn't get it to work at all on my ps3. Like my Matrix blu-ray, it just flat-out doesn't load up ever, no matter how much I kept putting them back in, and I know 100% it's not the discs. ***** off and looking through forums, I saw one guy say the he got discs to read by holding his ps3 tilted up so that the disc drive is facing the cieling. Low and behold, it worked for me and I've done this about 4 times in the last 24 hours and played FIFA without any problems. Does this mean that it might not be the laser? Could it be a mechanism in the drive that I could fix without forking out £80 for laser repair? Help would be much appreciated. :Help:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (10,056 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Disc reading Problems, tilting PS3 upwards makes disc read?

Just how far out of warranty are you? ALL electrical goods sold within the EEC have an automatic 2 year warranty,and manufacturers are liable for repairs for up to 6 years see:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain

I would contact customer support

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (10,039 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

haggisok wrote:

Just how far out of warranty are you? ALL electrical goods sold within the EEC have an automatic 2 year warranty,and manufacturers are liable for repairs for up to 6 years see:

If only that were true... :smileysad:

Anyways - unfortunately, having opened the PS3 will have seriously damaged any chances of reclaiming anything :smileysad:

But back to the original problem - then yes, potentially it could 'just' be a problem with the drive itself, which could mean it is fixable.

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (10,006 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

TTDegs wrote:

haggisok wrote:

If only that were true... :smileysad:

Anyways - unfortunately, having opened the PS3 will have seriously damaged any chances of reclaiming anything :smileysad:

But back to the original problem - then yes, potentially it could 'just' be a problem with the drive itself, which could mean it is fixable.

I didn't open it, I used a lens cleaner disc which apparently is useless anyway. I did what I should have done straight away and phoned Sony, they were kind enough to send out a free refurbished replacement console even though I was out of warranty. Hats off to them, they were nothing like the horror stories I've heard. :Smile:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7 (9,948 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have the same problem. Funny thing is my problem also started when I tried playing black ops and it got progressively worse. I tried tilting the ps3 slim up when I put in the disc and it worked so thanks for the tip.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (9,516 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

TTDegs wrote:

haggisok wrote:

If only that were true... :smileysad:

Anyways - unfortunately, having opened the PS3 will have seriously damaged any chances of reclaiming anything :smileysad:

Moonshined wrote: 

I didn't open it, I used a lens cleaner disc which apparently is useless anyway. I did what I should have done straight away and phoned Sony, they were kind enough to send out a free refurbished replacement console even though I was out of warranty. Hats off to them, they were nothing like the horror stories I've heard. :Smile:
So glad they were so nice to you to send you a free one....when I called for my 1st system that was an 80g that over heated with the ylod they told me that even if it was within the warranty period that it would cost 150 plus processing and handling and tax so almost 200 total with an 8 week wait....and with the 2nd system same story even tho its a disc not reading problem....ive tried just about everything....ive cleaned the laser...tried the restore file system (hell ive even restored the whole damn system losing everything) and ive tried the starting a game then seeing if its loaded and ive tried the tilting it upwards after I read this (which i thought it sounded like it was gonna work but in the end still no load)...basically both times i called sony and the 2 times my hubby called we were told that it would be 150 plus processing, handling and tax no matter what the problem was or if it was in warranty....sony is really ***** me off with their crap....the original ps3s that had the ylod all should have been recalled....wish mine would have stayed on long enough to cause a fire like the xbox did cuz then maybe the company would have had a recall like xbox.....sad it takes a fire for a company to admit they f*cked up their product.....
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (8,996 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have this exact same problem, and its only with some games,  i actually opened my ps3 up and cleaned the laser with alcohol and and a qtip (past warranty), and for a couple days it was working like new, loading games it wouldnt b4, and now its back to the same old antics, its frustrating because it doesnt seem like its the laser, certain games will load everytime and a couple others have the same read errors, blu ray movies play, it reckognizes the games at the menu and plays there music, but then just wont start it

the tilting up trick worked a few times too,   whats even more frustrating is my ps2 died, my first ps3 died, this is my 2nd ps3 feels like its about to die, and i know theres so many more people where its the same thing    its a conspiracy lol

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7 (8,419 Views)
0 Kudos