20 Dec 2010
By xSajin
Playstation Staff

External hard drive not recognized by PS3

[ Edited ]
28 Replies 25,026 Views edited 20-12-2010

I bought an external Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB Hard Drive to use for various videos/pictures/music that I have. The problem is that I cannot get it to be recognized by the PS3. It is recognized by my 360 just fine. I have formatted it to FAT32. In fact, I even created many partitions in my struggles to get it work. One NTFS, one FAT32, and one exFAT in hopes of getting it to work some how some way. Each partition has the required subfolders needed with sample files in each.

The 3 partitions set up.
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7490/drives.jpg

The folders in each partition.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/962/folderstructure.jpg

For my lifes sake, I can't figure out why it can not be read. The only thing I have noticed is that the white LED on the HDD is not on at all showing any activity when connected to the PS3 but I can hear and feel it spin up and turn "on" as normal. If nyone has any input or helpful information that could be useful to me in my situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29 (25,026 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: External hard drive not recognized by PS3

the playstation will only recognise the first partition and only if its fat 32 ........ format the full drive into fat 32 .....

does the external have a power input other than using the usb

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29 (24,992 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Does that HDD have its own power supply?

If not are you uing both PS3 USB ports to power it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29 (24,979 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

My first attempt was the entire drive as FAT32. Then I tried it as only a single volume at 25 GB thinking the size might of been a problem. Both times same problem.

The USB HDD does not have an external power supplied to it. Neither does it have a dual USB cord to use both slots on the PS3 USB ports for power. Just a single cord.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29 (24,965 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

^^Well that could be the problem, external HDDs that don't have their own PSU can be very picky, and that 1tb is a big bugger to be running from the USB ports...I have a 1TB myself but its powered by its own PSU, its a western digital, i just tried it and without the adaptor plugged in nothing worked.

Here is something else you can look into, those drives come with pre-installed software called WD Smartware, that software will stop ithe HDD from working on the PS3, now even though you have formatted the HDD this software is sitting hidden on a small partition, so if that's still on the HDD that might be whats stopping it from being seen by the PS3...try going to the WD site and looking for format and and partition programs.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29 (24,948 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

OK. I'll post up a follow up on my progress with the WD site in a bit.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29 (24,937 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

posted my model number and this was in bolt print in the middle of the page.

"There is currently no download (software, firmware, or driver) available for this product."

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=wdbacx0010bbl-00

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29 (24,928 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I have a number of external drives, some work some don't, with no reason as to why.  Something worth trying, if you have not already is plugging the drive in with the power off plugging it in and then turn it on, along with having the drive powered up (30 secs+) and and then plugging it in.

現在、サーバーのメンテナンス中です。 

ORG has become the UK’s leading voice defending freedom of expression, privacy, innovation, consumer rights and creativity on the net.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29 (24,881 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

It might be worth while getting hold of that Y USB adaptor to see if that solves the problem.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29 (24,853 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

xSajin

I notice that there are several 1TB versions of your device on the WD shop site.  Is yours by any chance the USB 2 only version?  The others also being USB3 devices.

Looking here - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewId=3211739 - they say that WD have made some changes to the SATA electronics, namely 

"For the My Passport Essential SE, Western Digital bypassed the standard SATA II circuitry and built a USB connection directly into the 2.5 inch internal hard drive, making it shorter than other external hard drives. Unfortunately, the company chose to integrate a micro-USB connection instead of the more common mini-USB port found on external hard drives and digital cameras. While the connection is supposed to be more durable, the cable is also harder to replace if lost."

I wonder if this might have something to do with it? 

I mean, the bypassing of certain circuitry part rather than the micro USB plug and shortened pathlength, of course.

Not all OLYMPIANS are racist.

Some of them are athletes.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29 (24,824 Views)
0 Kudos