93%
04 Rank
Progress

[FAQ] YLOD

54 Replies 57,097 Views Created 30-04-2010
30 Apr 2010
By TTDegs

Hi all

Please note that this thread is not designed as a discussion, but is rather, something which I can point to in my sig line to save me typing it all out each time :smileyhappy:

So. Admin out of the way... :smileyhappy:

This thread is intended to give you some pointers to your options if you get a YLOD failure.

For sake of argument, we'll assume that you didn't do a full system backup 5 minutes before, and would (in an ideal world) like to get your data back :smileyhappy:

LABELS:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

Ultimately, the ONLY way to get your data is by bringing your PS3 back to life :smileysad:

Taking the Hard Drive out, trying to read it from a PC, or putting it into another PS3 - these will NOT work.

The Hard Drive is uniquely paired to your (now dead) PS3, and ONLY your (now dead) PS3 will be able to read it.

Searching on Google will turn up DIY fixes, but you need to be aware that there are several significant downsides to those methods.

• They can cause further damage to your PS3
  • At best, they are temporary solutions
  • They will void your warranty and / or result in massively reducing (to zero) your chances of trading the PS3 in at a high street store at a later date
  • Will also reduce (potentially to zero) your chances of any sort of recompense or goodwill gesture under from the retailer (see later)
  • Could result in personal injury

Basically - leave it to the professionals! :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

1) Do you REALLY want the data?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

Sony Repair

This is something which Sony sometimes offer. 

This typically costs about £130, and may take up to 3 weeks.

(Refurb / replacement service is next day)

It is fairly rare of them to offer, but may be worth considering / asking them to do.

If they do agree to this method, please stress to them why you want the repair service instead of refurb - ie to keep your data.

The downside is that it usually costs more than a 3rd party fix.

The upside is that you should retain / get a 3 month Sony warranty when you get your PS3 back.

Third Party repairs.

Throughout the UK (and possibly other countries too), there are a number of companies which have sprung up to service the 'dead console' market.

Some points to note:

• Cost. You have to pay them :smileywink: costs vary.
  • Warranty.  Many companies provide a warranty for their work - if your PS3 goes pop within a set time, they may attempt to re-fix it.  Check before deciding which company to choose.  Obviously this will not be a Sony warranty.
  • Time.  You may need to put your PS3 in the post, and they may have a backlog.
  • Taking this method will void the Sony warranty (and remove the warranty sticker).  As with the previous post above, this reduces your chances of trading in or getting a goodwill gesture from a retailer at a later date to effectively zero.

Final point - check and double check before selecting a company to entrust your PS3 to.

I've not come across any that guarantee to fix your PS3 and give it back.

If they can't fix it, they will either not charge (or reduce the charge), or supply you with a similar model that they have managed to get working. Which won't give you your data back :smileysad:

So, check, check and check again what you are paying for - and ask around in the forums if anyone else has used the company you are considering.

To emphasize again, third part companies will almost certainly be opening the console to fix it, which will VOID the Sony warranty and remove the warranty sticker.

Think very carefully about the implications of that before proceeding.

0 Kudos

1) Do you REALLY want the data? (part 2)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

Ok, if you've got this far, your hopefully now have a working PS3 again, and your data is available - hurrah! :smileyvery-happy:

That's the good news :Thumbs:

The bad news is that you now have a repaired console which you may not have much faith in. 

At this stage, many people decide to purchase a new one....

So - you now need to get your data off the repaired PS3, and on to the bright new spangly one :smileyhappy:

I'm not going to go into huge detail on this, as the info is readily available on the forum - shout separately if you need help :smileywink: 

There are 3 basic options for dealing with your data.

• Copy stuff to USB individually.
    The down side is that this takes ages, and is a faff.  It also won't work for copy-protected saves. 
    The up side is that you only need copy the bits you need, so the data should fit on a USB stick or two.

• Do a system backup to external USB drive
    The down side is that you need a (potentially big) external USB drive, as the system backup backs up everything - saves, demos, photos, music, the lot.  
    Backups can take a dislike to copy protected saves - either failing during the backup process, or worse, during the restore.

• Data Transfer. With firmware 3.15, we got the option of 'data transfer'.
    By connecting 2 PS3s together with an ethernet cable, you can transfer everything across :smileyhappy:
    (Couple of minor exceptions like singstar tracks that need to be re-downloaded).
    The downsides - you need 2 PS3s.... Which means buying a new one before you sell the old one...
    The receiving PS3 is wiped before the transfer starts - so don't use a mate's :smileyvery-happy:
    Full details on the data transfer method can be found here

Data Transfer NOTES:

• Before doing anything at all with the data, sign in to PSN and sync your trophies.  This will ensure you don't lose any :smileyhappy:
  • After transferring all your data (and checking it worked), you might want go back to your old PS3 and deactivate your accounts (XMB, account settings, deactivate) if you haven't already.  Sony only allow you to have your ID on 5 consoles at any time.
  • Some owners have reported that they could only data transfer with a 'cross over' network cable, whilst others worked fine with a 'normal' one.  The official info (link above) states either will work.  Connection does have to be direct though - not via a router.

0 Kudos

1) Do you REALLY want the data? (part 3)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

All the above was what to do in order to get your data back.

If actually you don't care, you have more options...

1. Use the PS3 as a door stop
Because that is about all it is good for at this stage :smileysad: 

This won't deactivate your account though, so read on...

2. Sell it as broken

This leads you into a world of "OMG I wish I'd thought about that!"
If you sell your PS3 without doing anything to it - there is nothing to prevent the new owner from fixing it (with one of the above methods) - and therefore having full access to your data and your account.

At very least, you should therefore (via a PC to yourSony PlayStation account at https://secure.eu.playstation.com/psn/mypsn/account/) log in and change your PSN ID password.

Ideally, you would want to actually format the PS3 Hard Drive.
This can be done by putting it into a USB / SATA caddy and connecting it to your PC (and formatting it) - cost about £20 if you shop around.

3. Sell it as fixed  
Obviously you need to fix it in order to sell it as fixed :smileywink:

Once fixed (and you have taken any data you want off it), deactivate the account via the XMB, Account Management option on the PS3 itself :smileyhappy:

4. Return it under warranty

Obviously this only applies if you have a warranty :smileywink:

• In the UK, standard Sony warranty is 1 year. 
  • For a good while, Sony offered an extended insurance scheme called 'Continuous Play' through a 3rd party insurance provider (GE). This unfortunately got closed due to abuse.  But basically, if you got on to it while it was still running, and are still paying - :smileyhappy: If you didn't / aren't - :smileysad:
  •  Many high street shops also offer extended warranty (at time of purchase).

Ultimately, if you have a warranty - use it :smileyhappy:

NOTES:

• You are only allowed to activate your account on 5 consoles at any one time.  Your dead one will count as one of these.
  • If you return to Sony (or to Sony via Continuous Play), they can deactivate your account on it (freeing that 1 of 5 slot back up) - but will only do this if you ask, and sometime you have to push for it.
  • Phone Sony Customer Support (phone number can be found in the back of most game instruction books or via the sticky thread in PS3 General Discussion, and they might be able to sort you out with deactivating your dead PS3 accounts.

• ANY attempts at any of the (non Sony) fixes mentioned above will VOID the warranty, and remove the warranty sticker.
  • Most high street game shops will not buy broken PS3s.
  • Most high street shops will not buy a PS3 which is damaged or has no warranty sticker.
  • Obviously a repaired or replaced (refurb) PS3 from Sony will have a warranty sticker :smileyhappy:
  • Selling a PS3 on ebay CAN be fraught with issues of scammers - buying yours, claiming they didn't realise it was broken / fixed, sending back an entirely different (and worse) one... :smileysad:
0 Kudos

2) You DON'T want you data?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

5) Take the PS3 back to the retailer

Some owners, having had a YLOD failure, have received 'goodwill gestures' from retailers.

This usually involves a fair amount of effort on your part, but may be something that you wish to investigate further.

NOTES:

• ANY attempts at repairs (including Sony repairs) will seriously damage your chances at claiming anything from the retailer.
  • IF you do get a 'goodwill gesture', the chances are that the retailer will take possession of your dead PS3 - which obviously is why this 'solution' is under the "You don't want the data" bit.
  • You should note that this also means you will not be able to deactivate your account (see the other notes above about this)

6) Send it back to Sony.

Sony will (assuming out of warranty) charge you circa £130 (at time of writing).

Within a day or two, a van will pull up outside your house, with a PS3 of the same model* as yours.

They will hand this over, and take yours away.

NOTES:

• * This means that if your PS3 was a 60Gb version, Sony will replace it with a 60Gb one.
  • VERY occasionally, if pushed, Sony will allow you to elect for a different model - but this is very few and far between.
  • As mentioned briefly under the "claim on warranty" post above, Sony will (if requested) deactivate your account on this dead PS3.  So mention this when you phone them.
  • It should be noted that the 'refurb' model you get back will be one which someone else has previously sent to Sony as broken. Sony will have replaced all the broken bits, and put it in a new case.
  • There is a standard 3 month warranty on refurb consoles.
  • As with other methods, you will not have the chance to get your data back - the van will turn up with your refurb console, and take yours away.

7) Home Insurance claim

Whilst no one has reported actually doing so, or success / failure of having tried, you may wish to consider claiming under your home contents insurance.

I have no experience of trying this, and I therefore have no idea if you would 

a) be even able to claim

b) be able to claim if you had done any of the fixes 

and therefore I don't know if this would fall into a "you want your data" or "you don't want the data" type solution, but I suspect the latter (which is why I put it here :smileywink:)

There would (presumably) be an excess to pay, and it obviously may have implication for any no-claims bonus or following year's premiums.

But I thought I'd mention it for completeness :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

2) You DON'T want you data? (part 2)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

1) Stuck Disc

Often when you get a YLOD, your game disc will still be in it - which isn't ideal! :smileytongue:

For Slims, you lucky people, there is a manual eject type option, which involves removing a small cover underneath, and using a small cross head screwdriver.  This does NOT affect your warranty :smileyhappy:

For 40Gb, 80Gb (and maybe 120Gb) owners, there is a sort of forced eject that may work in YLOD situations.

Turn the PS3 power switch (at the back) off.

Hold down the eject button (and keep it held down)

Turn the PS3 power switch on.

The fans will ramp up, and hopefully the disc will eject :smileyhappy:

For 60Gb owners, we're more stuffed...

There are rumours that there is a variation of the commonly mis-named fan test for the 60Gb, which involve having the PS3 vertical, but upside down (suspended in mid air, NOT with fans on the floor!), and doing the power switch thing as above with the 40/80/120Gbs.

Holding down the eject switch whilst doing that may eject the disc.

If none of that works... 

• For people sending off to Sony (or Continuous Repair) for a repair or replacement (refurb), ensure that you tell them there is a disc inside. They are normally pretty good at returning it, although it might take several weeks / months 
  • For people going down the 3rd party fix route, again ensure that you tell them there is a disc inside - you should get it back with your console (check with individual repairers for details).
  • For people doing the return to retailer or other route - you are kinda knackered :smileysad:  All I can really suggest is telling the people you return it to that there is a disc stuck inside, and asking that they replace this too 
2) Prevention is always better than cure.

If you're reading this thread purely out of interest, and haven't yet had a YLOD - first off, thank you very much for getting this far! :smileyvery-happy:

There is no official single reason for a PS3 to YLOD, and those which have, haven't necessarily been mistreated in any way at all :smileyhappy:

However, to minimise your chances, follow the basic rules:

Keep your PS3 cool.

Keep it in a well ventilated environment.

Keep it dust free.

Hoover it every now and then.

Not every YLOD is caused by not doing the above, and a YLOD does not imply that the owner mistreated their PS3.

And doing all the above does not guarantee you will never get a YLOD - it will just help minimise the chances :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

3) Other miscellaneous bits :-)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

PLEASE NOTE:

ALL of the above, whilst gathered from my time on this forum and elsewhere, is MY understanding of the situation.

It is NOT in any way connected with Sony or Sony's official policy, or anything like that at all.

Unfortunately, I can take no responsibility for the outcome should you decided to act on any of the information in this thread, and I strongly suggest that you do further investigation before embarking down any of the routes mentioned.

In particular you should note:

• ANY attempt at a non-Sony repair will VOID your warranty, and remove the warranty sticker, which will negatively impact your chance of a 'goodwill gesture' from anyone.  It will also massively reduce your chances / it's value if you decide to sell it in the future.  So think very carefully before doing that.
  • A Sony repair / refurb may appear to be an expensive option on the face of it - but you end up with a console that has a 3 month Sony warranty, and an intact warranty sticker.

All in all though, whichever route you go down, I wish you the very best of luck, and hope that this thread has at least outlined some (or hopefully all!) of your options :smileyhappy:

4) The wrap up and disclaimers ;-)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ozzy968

60%
02 Rank
Progress
ozzy968
Accepted Solution

Very good mate.

Just wondering, do you know any companies with this offer to fix my PS3?

0 Kudos

Re: 4) The wrap up and disclaimers ;-)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
There are several which get mentioned in these forums, but (touch wood!) I've never had to use one myself, so I'm afraid I can't personally recommend any of them, sorry!

Google is probably your best starting place, and then when you have a few names, search for them in this forum to see if anyone has commented on their service :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Byniu

37%
02 Rank
Progress
Byniu
Accepted Solution

great... Great... GREAT... !!!

once again many thanks !!!

:Peace:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Givens07

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Givens07
Accepted Solution

great, mine has just died

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lowther_kid

32%
02 Rank
Progress
lowther_kid
Accepted Solution

40gb  model just died YLOD, hottest day of the year, england got beat 4-1 hardly surprised on both counts.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Mikal_Drey

96%
05 Rank
Progress
Mikal_Drey
Accepted Solution

hey hey

just a few questions .  ..

1) IF i get a ylod. is it actually a yellow light ? from what ive seen or heard its more a flashing red bleepy bleepy autoswitch off thingy.

2) my ps3 is a 60gb day one purchase so obviously my guarantees and warrantees are gone. i dont have continious play and i dont have a spare £130 quid for a "refurb from sony" am i truly fuggered.

3) is the YLOD a HDD failure ? if so does that mean that if i dont actually care about the data can i simply switch out a HDD, reformat, and load up my psnid and download my games and resync my trophies ? that way i can save a load of time and effort and saves me losing my ps3 for no real reason other than HDD failure

4) if the anyway or anywhere that i can insure my ps3 against faults like continious play did ?

5) i hoover mine regularly and its well stored etc but its started to really whine like crazy.  can i (im out of warranty anyway) unscrew it and give it a real deep down clean out and what do you recomend to o it with ? hoover ? PC specialty hoover ? Spray cleaners ? 

6) is a ylod preventable ? 

i love my 60gb fatty i really do but im getting that impending sense of doooooooooom :'''(

Many Thanks in advance and i hope this beefs up your already impressive FAQ

0 Kudos

: 4) The wrap up and disclaimers ;-)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
hi hi :)

1) It CAN be - the green light can flicker yellow on start up. Continuous flashing red can also indicate a big problem - 'YLOD' is really just the catch all phrase for 'oh poot!'

2) other services are available - unfortunately it is a case of paying your money and making your choice. Some people have managed to get at least partial refunds by liasing with the shop they bought it from though.

3) typically, no. Technically the 'YLOD' is a 'generic serious hardware fault' - which doesn't usually mean the HDD has died, as that in itself is not fatal to a PS3. You can actually start a PS3 without a HDD being present - although it obviously won't get very far, it will at least 'complain' rather than actually die.

4) After you've bought it? Nope :( Not that I'm aware of, although rumours have it that "console bubble" may do something, but no one in here that I've noticed, has used them.
Rumour also has it that a new version of continuous play may come back - and indeed it just has in the US, but only consoles still within the 1st year warranty are included in that.
No idea what may or may not hit the EU.

5) Opening a PS3 comes with lots of risks in itself. Not only are you exposing yourself to lot of sharp edges, but you are also potentially exposing the circuitry to all sort of static charges - which won't help it much. A good squirt of compressed air via the (unopened) vents at the back is as far as I go, personally.

6) no :( There are things you can do to speed it up! (no ventilation, lots of dust etc etc), but if it's gonna go, it's gonna go :(

and thank you too, for your kind words :)
0 Kudos

Re: : 4) The wrap up and disclaimers ;-)

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

truckers_96

57%
02 Rank
Progress
truckers_96
Accepted Solution
if you DIY fix and find out later that you want to send it in to SONY (paid service), can that still be done? - my warranty is already gone so the stick doesn't mean anything to me anymore :/
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

truckers_96 wrote:
if you DIY fix and find out later that you want to send it in to SONY (paid service), can that still be done? - my warranty is already gone so the stick doesn't mean anything to me anymore :/

you're best off phoning them to confirm.

I would imagine you could, but I can't speak for them.

Playstation Customer Service Number UK:0844 7360595 Eire:0818 365 065 New Zealand: 09 415 2447
help@uk.playstation.com

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

truckers_96

57%
02 Rank
Progress
truckers_96
Accepted Solution
aussie number please?
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jockmeg86

21%
02 Rank
Progress
jockmeg86
Accepted Solution

Thank you your info was very helpful i managed to get call of duty black ops out of my ps3! Thx!

0 Kudos

Re:

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

salbowski

24%
02 Rank
Progress
salbowski
Accepted Solution

"6) Send it back to Sony.

Sony will (assuming out of warranty) charge you circa £130 (at time of writing).

Within a day or two, a van will pull up outside your house, with a PS3 of the same model* as yours.

They will hand this over, and take yours away."

Do you have any contact details or information as to how to do this^^. I can't seem to find any an email of phone number to contact Sony.

Never had a problem before then as soon as we get a bit of warm weather it goes pooof.

0 Kudos

Re: 2) You DON'T want you data? (part 2)

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
Darn, I should have added them into that section, sorry!

Link to the numbers is in the notes bit of option 4, return under warranty - same numbers for everything :)
0 Kudos

Re: 2) You DON'T want you data? (part 2)

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel