04 Nov 2012
By bromtom

Playstation Staff

Firmware update 4.31 has killed my PS3 slim

7 Replies 3,834 Views Created 04-11-2012
Hi everyone, has anyone else had this problem? My ps3 slim told me a new update was available (4.31) so I duly downloaded it, it installed but then the screen went black. After 30 minutes of nothing, I had no option but to turn it off, the power button was unresponsive so I had to unplug it. Now whenever I turn it on I get a black screen/ no image coming from the console and no sound. Also I have to hold the power button down for about 20 seconds to get it to switch off. I've tried the 5 second screen reset and it did nothing. The controllers won't connect and it even turns my dualshock off when I plug it in via USB. I've only had it a few months so I'm guessing software issue, any ideas? Cheers.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (3,834 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Firmware update 4.31 has killed my PS3 slim

Update: replaced HDD and it works now, confirming my suspicions that it was the firmware update that did it. I'll be contacting Sony anyway, I've lost the contents of a hard drive (games, dlc, whatever saves ps+ didn't save to the cloud) and the hard drive itself since its corrupted.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (3,812 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Same thing happened to me.  I have 2 PS3's, a Slim and an older CECH04, the Slim updated to 4.31 with no problems however the CECH04 initially returned an error 8002F14E after c.60% installation and after a few tries this error appeared after 1%.  I have tried many of the fixes posted for this problem and finally decided to try reformatting the hard disk.  Following the reformat I no longer get any HDMI video output, I've tried the original disk (60GB) which I exchanged a couple of years ago for a 500GB disk, this also failed to get any reaction from the machine.

For me the Firmware update is too much of a coincidence and I am convinced having read your post that the update itself is at fault.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (3,625 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the post... I've been searching for a long time for someone else who had this issue.

I had the exact same problems; froze during update, so I let it sit. When nothing happened after 30 minutes, I pulled the plug and now it's bricked.

I'm going to replace the HDD when I get home and see if that helps. Thanks again - cheers!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (3,118 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Please tell me if you got it Fixed by Replacing the HDD becase I have the same problem and I want to know Thank you

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (3,087 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Sorry, tried new hard drive and reformatting original hard drive, nothing worked.  It seems more than a coincidence that there are so many reports of firmware updates bringing about these errors.  I must admit to being surprised and disappointed with Sony for just how poor the fault diagnosis advice is, it certainly doesn't help to scotch the conspiracy theorists rumours about the "Sony kill switch", tarnishes their reputation in my eyes.  I no longer buy Philips products for similar reasons.

Luckily I have another machine so all is not lost, that is until the next firmware update!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (3,061 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Try this. I did it on my own system just yesterday (installing a new 750GB 7200rpm HDD in my Super Slim PS3) and i have a superb result, faster than ever loading system.

Insert a blank or formated HDD (try FAT32 format) in your PS3 and have a flash stick with the latest firmware available (in your memory stick -FAT32 format- make a folder named PS3 and in that folder make a folder UPDATE. Place firmware file in that folder).

When your system starts up it should tell you that it cannot start and that it needs a media device with the latest firmware to install it. After you insert hour memory stick, it says that you should press Select and Start together to start formatting. After formating the HDD, you will again need to press Select and Start for 3 seconds and the firmware installation begins.

After that a restart and your system should be like brand new.

Does this work for you?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (3,039 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

yeah hey guys the other day i did the update for my 120gb slim, couple days later my discs stopped reading, so naturally I thought it had given up, and yes i tried all types of discs, then I bought a new 500gb super slim on wednesday last week, did the same update, and again two days later it broke the exact same way the other did :/ I'm assuming it was the update, can think of anything else, any suggestions? Ps. Ive already tried doing a full factory reset on my 500gb and it didnt fix it or anything. PLEASE HELP!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (2,067 Views)
0 Kudos