Support

PS3 Support

PS3 Support

29 May 2012
By: Flyboy6788

2 Posts

Flashing red light PS3 will not turn on...

3 Replies 4097 Views Created 29-05-2012

Hi there,

I have read many posts and it appears I have the red light of death (Yellow some say but mine is definately red?!?!) 

I have tried powering off at the mains and holding the eject button. Disk ejects and fan does turn on. The ps3 will then turn on as normal but after 5-20mins will cut out and the red light will be back.

Im thinking its dead..... Can I get it repaired in the UK? if so where? cost? upgrade cost?

My Ps3 has saved games and data on the hardrive how can I save this? should swap hardrives with a new ps3 if I buy one? It is an old 40gb tho....

Any help please people/

Thanks in advance!!

James

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (4,097 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: Flashing red light PS3 will not turn on...

Hi James.

I've had this exact problem. Twice!

Your playstation has a problem with its heat sink which means that it can't keep cool properly, hence the red light. If you keep trying to use it like I did it will turn in to the yellow light meaning it's completely spent. Either way it needs to be repaired.

To save you some time and money I would advise you NOT to use a repair company other than Sony. I've done this and the repair only lasted for 3 months. Repairing it yourslef as seen in many YouTube videos will last for a month max.

If you contact Sony they will send you this email:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding PlayStation 3.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your PlayStation 3.

Please call PlayStation Support on 0844 736 0595, quoting your reference number: *******, where an advisor will be happy to guide you through a detailed troubleshooting procedure to identify the nature of the fault.

Please have your PlayStation 3 to hand when you call, as we may need to capture some details from your unit.

Our operating hours are 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday, 10am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Thank you, 

Martin 
PlayStation Team
Sony Computer Entertainment UK
PlayStation Support: 0844 736 0595
E-Mail: Help@uk.playstation.com
Web: http://www.playstation.co.uk/

I
 suggest you do this. 
They'll offer you a replacement service where you send in your system and they'll give you a repaired one in return. Yours is an old 40GB like mine, so you may get a newer slim line version instead. Still better than a broken classic one, in my book. Should cost about £110 last time I checked.

I'm going to get mine replaced this week too.

Hope this helps.  

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (4,036 Views)
0 Kudos

Perfect thanks mate

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (3,999 Views)
0 Kudos

I had the same problem last night playing Skyrim The Elder Scrolls, it just cut off after 1 hours play ! I wouldn't trust anyone than Sony to fix it, but aftet an unsuccessful call they said tosend it in and they would replace it with a reconditioned model :smileysurprised: ! I am still in shock. The slimline retails at £200 and some online stores are 175 so why would I spend 110 for an already damage model. My warranty is out but there is nothing to prevent this. I felt it was overheating a little months ago but it stopped. I consulted Sony and they recommended I buy a fan, so I went back to Gamestation to buy a fan but they were hesitated to sell me it as many had been returned and through there testing it caused systems to overheat worse. All i would like, after a couple of years of it being well looked after and in immaculate condition (well almost) all I ask is a repair service ? Consumer Laws ? Watchdog raised awareness of common fault so if cause by overheating a Sony informed me, then provide solutions ? I still have the receipt for just shy of £400 so I am clearly willing to pay for repair but thu only replace ! Also i know several people with slimlinr and its noisier ! And not as powetful in my eyes and as the price reflects ! The new one is almost half the price of the original fat ! I want to keep my beloved. Please Sony ???
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (1,514 Views)
0 Kudos