03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

Flashing red light

14 Replies 6,543 Views Created 02-02-2011

Hi I have a 60 gb model and I've encountered a problem.

Simtoms:

I was Playing the Sly collection, when the game froze, the console made 3 beeps and turned it self off, and the Red light started flashing. I turned the power off (from behind) and reopened the console. The problem keep reocuring within seconds of opening the console.

Atempts to fix the problem:

I googled the problem and read that it's probably because of overheating.

• I tried blowing away all the dust from the console. No luck.
  • I tried unpluging all the cables. No luck.
  • I tried leaving the console to cool down for a couple of hours. No luck.
  • I tried removing the HDD and run the console without it. No luck.

Before the proble ocured:

• I was playing Sly 3 from Sly collection for no longer than an hour.
  • No one alse opened the console that day.
  • I recently replaced my old swicher (shares my internet connection with my PC) with a better one. Don't know if it had anythink to do with the problem.
  • I never runned any unothorised programs, or modified my console in any way other than changing my HDD with a better one a long time ago.
  • I have sended my PS3 for service a cople of times in the past, don't remember when though.

What should I do?

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

Ph031uS

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ph031uS
Accepted Solution

Hi.

The good news is that your new router/switch is probably not at fault here.

The not so good news is that it would appear as if that unit has a hardware problem.

When you say you opened you ps3 did you mean physically opening it and in that process removing the warranty sticker?

If not then I would suggest getting in touch with the playstation support in your country and explain the situation to them.

If you did indeed open your ps3 then I would suggest either taking the machine to a local repair shop or talking to the playstation support anyway but don't be surprised if they charge you for a replacement or the repair.

View solution in original post

Re: Flashing red light

/16

Ph031uS

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ph031uS
Accepted Solution

Hi.

The not so good news is that it would appear as if that unit has a hardware problem.

When you say you opened you ps3 did you mean physically opening it and in that process removing the warranty sticker?

If not then I would suggest getting in touch with the playstation support in your country and explain the situation to them.

If you did indeed open your ps3 then I would suggest either taking the machine to a local repair shop or talking to the playstation support anyway but don't be surprised if they charge you for a replacement or the repair.

/16

KiteGr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KiteGr
Accepted Solution

Ph031uS wrote:

Hi.

I'm not stupid enough to open my rare 60Gb PS3.

I sended it to the shop I boght it, and they said that it's most likelly a hardware problem (thermal paste), and they'll send me a new 60gb for only 185euros.

The new proble that risen is my content on the HDD. In the shop they told me that they don't bother to transfer any kind of content and harddrive, so I kept my 320gb HDD before sending it.

Will I be able to save this content?

Is there is a bosibility that the new PS3 won't read my saves, or format my disk?

0 Kudos

/16

Ph031uS

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Ph031uS
Accepted Solution

Right.

A hard drive is paired with the ps3 you formatted it with so the data on the drive is useless unless plugged in to the unit that once formatted it.

There is no way I know of that will let you extract data from the drive without your old 60GB ps3 I'm afraid.

If the hard disk is healthy then your new machine will be able to format and use it, no problem.

It will however only want to format it once you insert it and turn the ps3 on.

0 Kudos

/16

KiteGr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KiteGr
Accepted Solution
*****!?
You mean that my data is lost?
Is there a way to backup my saves?
What if I open the new PS3 with another HDD on it and copy them later?

Sony Service is Horrible!

Where can I find a phone number?
0 Kudos

/16

KiteGr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KiteGr
Accepted Solution
If it's not to late, should I ask for my brocken PS3 back?
0 Kudos

/16

jmmart99

89%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jmmart99
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

/16

KiteGr

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KiteGr
Accepted Solution
Thanks for all the help! I'll try some alternative solutions before sending it!
0 Kudos

/16

stacibonan

43%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
stacibonan
Accepted Solution

I had similar problems with my PS3 red lighting.  I searched the web because I didn't want to lose my data. I found thiswebsite www.videogame911.com that do repairs and offer to save data. I got MY system back with my game saves in less then a week.

0 Kudos

/16

Zimbabo

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Zimbabo
Accepted Solution

Have not played my play station 3 much over the past month as I have had university commitments. I was playing tiger woods’ golf for around 1 hour last night and suddenly my console turned off and started flashing red. I have had my console since December 2007 so my warranty has expired ages ago. I phone play station UK support line and they said they could do an exchange on my doorstep for new refurbished console for £134. If I paid today I would get the new console tomorrow. The service is great that I would receive it the next day but the price is big.

0 Kudos

/16

berettaman

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
berettaman
Accepted Solution

I had same red light flashing, my trusty 60Gig died March 2011 with YLOD, paid Sony £134 for Re-manufactured replacement, worked with no problem until August 2011, 3 beeps red light flashing. Rang Sony and they sent me another Re-manufactured replacement, ps3 fat, worked fine until 19/12/20011 ,3 beeps red light flashing. Rang Sony and they sent me another Re-manufactured replacement, ps3 fat, worked fine until 10/02/2011, 3 beeps red light flashing. Rang Sony again and they are sending my a 120Gb slim as an upgrade because of all the problems with the replacements. I can`t fault Sony`s customer care department, I  just wish I could get a strait answer to question "what does Re-manufactured actually mean".  I also own a Ps1, Ps2, Psp and have pre-ordered a Ps Vita. Thanks in advance if anyone can explain what this means  as I have had four explanation`s  and I am still confused.

0 Kudos

/16

berettaman

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
berettaman
Accepted Solution

It seems like nobody wants to touch this one, got my new PS3 slim today so may be posting for a while, got some serious gaming to do.

0 Kudos

/16

bugzy81

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bugzy81
Accepted Solution

i got the same problem but on 40gb ps3..  was on it for about an hour or so.. it did a game update then went off.. can anyone help?

0 Kudos

/16

mercer1980

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mercer1980
Accepted Solution

Did you get this sorted as i have the smae fault

Steve

0 Kudos

/16

blaikie

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
blaikie
Accepted Solution

I too have now got this problem, ps3 40gb. I only turned it on and it had the YLOD...

Surely this has to be either a design  fault, manufacturing defect or just a ploy from sony to make sure we change our consoles every 4-5 years or so.

This is not good enough Sony!!!

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel