26 Jul 2012
By supvic
Playstation Staff

HDD corrupted, format, what next?

[ Edited ]
4 Replies 298 Views edited 26-07-2012

I've been trying to download Crysis 2 and noticed every time I switched my PS3 on the download's total size would go from 6336mb to 2234mb AS it was downloading. I suspected the HDD was corrupted so I tried option 3 in the safe mode, it told me the file system was corrupted so tried to restore but it stopped at 43% then gave me this message:

Fortunately I backed up all my saves right before doing this (just preparing for the worst). It won't start up without asking me to format now. 

My question is, I want to know if there's something wrong with the HDD's hardware itself. I don't want to format, redownload all my games only to run into this problem again in the future because the HDD itself is faulty.

The HDD is a Seagate Momentus XT. Should I use seatools to run a few scans before formatting, or after? I don't think it will read on PC if it's formatted to the PS3 file system.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5 (298 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: HDD corrupted, format, what next?

[ Edited ]
Format and if it still has the message on startup then it is a HDD fault :smileyhappy:
Follow fi8767 on Twitter
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5 (286 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

It DOESN'T have that message on startup. If you're not going to read properly, don't reply.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5 (279 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

It won't start up without asking me to format now. 

Are you referring to the console or the restore option 'starting up'?

If you're not going to respect the replies that you get regardless if something has been misunderstood then don't expect help.

---

"Even after the darkest of nights, morning always comes."
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (259 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I respect replies from people who make an effort to read and think.

either way it doesn't matter, I formatted it as I had to, scanned for errors on seatools, the HDD was fine. But now I can't even restore my backup so I'm back to square one anyway, the backup utility is hopeless.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5 (229 Views)
0 Kudos